Once Again The Loyal Customers Take it Up The Rear

FirefightnRick

I take my vacation around this football schedule a year in advance and plan accordingly for every home game working family schedules so that we can make kickoff times.

I've already missed one game and was late to another. Now I'll miss the first half of another because the kickoff was moved up and it's too late to make the necessary changes.

It's just another example of a growing list in how little this athletic departmentt cares about it's loyal, investing customers, who hasn't seen more than three wins in a single year in 5 years, but who will be counted on to show up in November once the season is way out of hand.

Rick

This post has been promoted to an article

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 9
  • Downvote 32

:notfair:

What if the game had been moved up for a TV slot, maybe even a shot at a national broadcast? What would be your opinion then?

Game times change to the ebb and flow of outside forces all the time.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

What if the game had been moved up for a TV slot, maybe even a shot at a national broadcast? What would be your opinion then?

What if you gave a damn for once about your own friends who have more family and responsibilities than you do, getting the ass end of this deal?

Rick

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 21

What if you gave a damn for once about your own friends who have more family and responsibilities than you do, getting the ass end of this deal?

Rick

He does bring a valid point. Game times for USC and UCLA games are changed often. Sometimes they aren't even given at all until about 8 days before the game.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Rick

There are members of my family that are likely inconvenienced by the earlier kick-off just like you Rick.

I guess those that are complaining about the change of the start time don't really care if we were to draw under 10,000 for HOMECOMING of all games of the season. That is a stark possibility given the 13,000 showing we had almost 2 weeks ago.

At least it gives people on this board something different to complain about. :rolleyes:

Edited by UNTFan23

To further illustrate the point...I checked the schedule for games 2 Saturdays for now. There are a TON of times that have not been set yet.

http://rivals.yahoo.com/ncaa/football/scoreboard?w=9&c=all&y=2011

I bet some of the fans for those games will have to walk more than a 1/3rd of a mile from their cars to the stadium, too.

People just gonna bitch.

• Upvote 4

Yay...another personal anecdote.

I'm sorry Rick, and every one else who has been sharing their own tales of woe...maybe the AD should personally consult you before every decision they make (I'm sure some of you would be wonderful recruiters)...but I don't see how anyone can look at the attendance at the FAU game and then not objectively understand UNT's place in the Metroplex pecking order. We're clearly an after-thought, even on campus...saying so doesn't make me less of a UNT homer (brought my lap-top to a friend's dinner party last week and was nearly 100% anti-social for the first 2 hours of the party).

The AD and administration have to be pragmatic...the allure of a local World Series game right now is greater than that of a 2-5 football team. This move will bring more students. And while this move will apparently also inconvenience some Alumni, most of you on here know damn well you're gonna be in Denton at 10am and this will really only affect how drunk you get. Hell, maybe sobriety will help give the alumni side a bit more pep.

This might be the best and most truthful post I've ever read on here. I agree 100%

• Upvote 5

When games are moved up for TV its because the team gets money for the inconvenience. This gets us nothing.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

He does bring a valid point. Game times for USC and UCLA games are changed often. Sometimes they aren't even given at all until about 8 days before the game.

USC and UCLA get something like $20,000,000 a year of Tier 1 money. For that they are quite happy to let the other guy decide on their game times. What do we get?

• Upvote 1

When games are moved up for TV its because the team gets money for the inconvenience. This gets us nothing.

It gets us a shot to hopefully have more people to attend the game that may have otherwise stayed at home to watch the Rangers game on TV. I guess we'll find out this Saturday just how good (or bad) of an idea it really was.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

USC and UCLA get something like $20,000,000 a year of Tier 1 money. For that they are quite happy to let the other guy decide on their game times. What do we get?

What did our basketball teams get in previous seasons for moving game times so as not interfere with the NFL? They probably got more people show up and not be able to give that they'd rather watch football as an excuse.

Edited by CMJ

It gets us a shot to hopefully have more people to attend the game that may have otherwise stayed at home to watch the Rangers game on TV. I guess we'll find out this Saturday just how good (or bad) of an idea it really was.

Unfortunately, we won't. The Ranger game will sap attendance a bit...I happen to believe Homecoming will make up for it, but if we get 15K we'll log on here on Monday and the forced outrage crowd will be on here saying the bump in schedule cost us 2K, 5K, 10K...whatever.

Mark it down, baring a sell-out we'll be re-hatching this conversation on Monday despite the fact there is no way what-so-ever to know if the move improved attendance.

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

Wow, I really don't like that title, but more or less agree with this. Lucky enough I can adjust. But I know someone who is coming to his first game since graduating in the early 90's who has to work until 3 but that was ok . he might not make it now.

Where the heck is the UNT SID who was going to be on here to help? This would be a good time to step in UNT SID. At least explain the reasoning. Any decision like this is tough, but when we don't know you're reasoning it just makes people mad. See Netflix recent bad press if you need an example.

• Upvote 1

Back to the topic. I like the move because a few alumni I know are now coming to the game with the new time. Otherwise they would have just come to the tailgate and went to a bar to watch the Rangers. Only thing I really don't like is that RV already went on record saying the time would not change , then went back on his word. Why not say last week , " We are looking into it.... "