UNT: A Must Win for FAU

Harry

Not to kick them when they are down, but North Texas is not a good team. Their new coach got into town, took a look at his roster and said there wasn’t much D-I talent on the team, and he was right. I do think Dan McCarney was a good hire and will get it turned around, but he is starting at rock bottom. Add to that their QB is injured and may be out, along with some other key players. Losing to NT would make it a two-way race for bottom of the Belt between FAU and Western Kentucky. It would just be a huge disaster all the way around.

http://weblogs.sun-sentinel.com/sports/college/fau/blog/2011/10/saturday_at_north_texas_a_must.html

Yeah, UNT is a must win for FAU, just like FAU is a must win for UNT. I don't agree with everything he's saying in this blog, but it is an elimination game of sorts. I think that this is a very winnable game for UNT though, if we're firing on all cylinders for four quarters. We can't blow it out of the second half gates like against Houston, can't risk a fourth quarter turnaround like we did with Indiana, and we REALLY cannot wait to start moving the ball until the fourth quarter.

I think if Thompson doesn't play, start with Osborn and supplement McNulty at key moments. And as usual, get Lance the ball. I hate referring to us as being a one-player team, but McCarney said so himself- we can't win if Lance isn't able to move the ball.

• Upvote 1

How about NT is the favorite and should handle FAU at home.

Seriously? At this point this team cannot handle themselves. How many times have we beaten FAU? Think they have our number...especially since we are such an awful team...

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The football bi-polarness of this board never ceases to amaze me. We lost to Tulsa. It sucks. Get over it. We have a very good shot to beat FAU at home. We will be playing lots of teams with a talent level close to Indiana in the coming weeks (such is the belt). It just depends on how WE play.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Seriously? At this point this team cannot handle themselves. How many times have we beaten FAU? Think they have our number...especially since we are such an awful team...

Not many times, but last year NT beat FAU in their only victory under Dodge . Not sure this is an awful team at this point, they have lost four they were big dogs in and won one. NT is far from being a good team but they are making progress, I find your remarks strange if you are indeed a fan, not sure who expected a better record than 1-4 at this point. According to Massey composite ratings every team NT has played with the exception of FIU is better than all the rest NT is scheduled to play and FIU is only behind IMO the overrated ULL.

• Upvote 1

Out of curiosity what leads you to believe that the score will be any different?

A 24 point loss at home to FAU???? They are only marginally better than Indiana, so if it is going to be a blowout, we will be the one dishing out the beating. As mediocre as we have played at times, I've seen nothing that would lead me to believe 34-10 FAU is realistic.

We will win this game giving us our 2'nd win with 4 to go for a bowl game and I'd all but wager that there will be a conference VIP in one of Apogee Stadium's luxury suites, too, checking out what all the buzz is about Apogee Stadium, the Mean Green Village, etc, etc, etc, and what the University of North Texas has going on now even w/o several winning seasons in a row. Things are moving fast in this latest round of re-alignment, folks.

I hope our UNT students show up en mass this Saturday. It is very important that they do.

Adios....going to bed now.

• Upvote 1

We need to win because:

1. We must protect this house! How great would it be to go above 500 at our new home and keep it building. I don't care if we only have 15,000 at the game we had better make NOISE! We are impacting games folks and small passionate Mean Green fans can bring it.

2. I have doubled the tailgate crowd from 5 to 10 so some Apogee first timers. I am convinced the students like these hot and fun 6 parties on the hill this fall and I believe they will be back. DPD will be busy on fraternity row again.

So if we all bring our A game this weekend I believe we squeak out another win. I am seeing another 24 - 20 type score.

GMG

Thompson will start and we will hammer FAU. They will be in a two team race for last with WKU. You folks predicting FAU will blow us out, much less win, are delirious.

So true, I think it's just the hangovers from the Tulsa game.

After the win this week, everyone will think we're going to win the SBC and we'll go undefeated the remainder of the season...

So true, I think it's just the hangovers from the Tulsa game.

After the win this week, everyone will think we're going to win the SBC and we'll go undefeated the remainder of the season...

Maybe starting year 3 of the McCarney era we can start thinking about winning the SB...