Could this be the beginning of something big? It's up to UNT to sh

Brett Vito

North Texas is moving in the right direction, the team looks better from week to week! I think we will look better next week, does that mean we win I hope so but not necessarily. I love the huge progress across the board, special teams most improved, a hard hitting defense (God I missed this) and a clock controlling offense.

Yes this is the beginning of something BIG!

• Upvote 3

This article was much more encouraging than the "75 game bowl-less streak" article.

However, the same stat- no players on NT have been to a bowl game, I feel like this stat is much more applicable of a spin on the stat.

First, I want this team to have players who have experienced back to back wins! Let's get the steps in order.

• Upvote 2

Had the same thought during this as watching the replay on EPSN3. Isn't it nice to see interviews or watch Mac patrol the sideline and feel like we have a legitimate D1 head coach?

I look down there and still can't believe I'm seeing Dan McCarney and Clint Bowen in green and on our sideline. It's still crazy to me to have landed those guys.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I think Vito shot a bull's eye here. I told my friend at the game that I think UNT is done with the bottom ten. I could be wrong but I don't think we will see it again for years—if ever. If we do it will be because the writer has cranial-rectal inversion. The team plays better every game and with all the young leaders on the team stepping up, I don't see this changing. And NT is not just building a team, they're building a program, one that we will be proud of for the foreseeable future.

So proud of my Mean Green.

• Upvote 1

I think Vito shot a bull's eye here. I told my friend at the game that I think UNT is done with the bottom ten. I could be wrong but I don't think we will see it again for years—if ever. If we do it will be because the writer has cranial-rectal inversion. The team plays better every game and with all the young leaders on the team stepping up, I don't see this changing. And NT is not just building a team, they're building a program, one that we will be proud of for the foreseeable future.

So proud of my Mean Green.

First, always remember the Bottom 10 is just a joke. It is NOT a real ranking. Second, a win always gets you off the list for at least a week and even losing the next week seems to just put you back on the watch list. I hope you are right about NT being done with that list for a while!

• Upvote 1

First, always remember the Bottom 10 is just a joke. It is NOT a real ranking. Second, a win always gets you off the list for at least a week and even losing the next week seems to just put you back on the watch list. I hope you are right about NT being done with that list for a while!

Yeah, I know it's a joke, but I still hate seeing my beloved Mean Green on it. My point is that UNT will keep getting better and the perception will change so that we won't be the brunt of jokes like that anymore. That's pretty much what Coach Mac said said would happen when he came to North Texas, and I think that time is now.

• Upvote 1

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone comment on the run defense against Indiana, and specifically that running the football had been a strength of Indiana's the 1st three games of the year, when they had over 500 yards rushing.

When was the last time the UNT defense took away another team's offensive strength?

This gives me hope for conference play.

• Upvote 2

I may have missed it, but I didn't see anyone comment on the run defense against Indiana, and specifically that running the football had been a strength of Indiana's the 1st three games of the year, when they had over 500 yards rushing.

When was the last time the UNT defense took away another team's offensive strength?

This gives me hope for conference play.

Its been a long long time maybe seven years or more.

• Upvote 1

I look down there and still can't believe I'm seeing Dan McCarney and Clint Bowen in green and on our sideline. It's still crazy to me to have landed those guys.

Newbies cannot appreciate a large number of "oldies" on this board who for decades said: "Can't we just hire another former D1 coach with D1 HFC experience since that seems to have worked best for North Texas?"

We also suggested before some of you were born that we really needed the impact that a new "non track" stadium could do for our program and (subsequently) some better conference options because of it. There were many deaf ears on our campus for decades who heard none of our group. NOTE: Bob Tyler (1 terrible year as our HFC) was a non-vetted resume' 1 year non-Wonder for North Texas and doesn't count. We got zoomed on his hiring when all our then HFC selection committee had to do was make a few well placed calls to Miss. State officials that would have prevented his hiring. We have too many times been our own worst enemy at North Texas because of who we hired. "DAN" McCarney was not the typical North Texas hire and many on this board would have prevented that if they had had their way.

PS: Yet we've all had our hit and miss moments with HFC searches for North Texas. If we were not going to go with the D1 HFC experience last hiring go around, then I (with many of you) was in the Todd Dodge corner upon his hiring so....

:blowup:

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 3

Was browsing the Texas State-San Marcos board for any talk on possible WAC realignment. They're too busy right now wishing they'd never hired Fran and placing all the blame for a very boring offense with little passing on him. I think I know something they don't... :innocent:

Suffice it to say, I believe we made an excellent decision in passing on Fran.