Facebook Events

All About UNT

The Houston Game Houston Game Facebook with over 4,800 people stating they are going. Notice an individual created this.

Mean Green Fling Mean Green Fling Facebook with over 1,800 people stating they are going......created by an individual

Movie Night in New Stadium Movie Night created by Scrap and over 1,000 people are saying they are going.

Student Spirit Night

Student Spirit Night with over 600 saying they are attending.

First Game of North Texas Basketball with over 500 saying they are going so far and created by a student First BBall Game

I also Facebooked Scrappy earlier to ask that he create an event for the Watching Party at the Stadium for FIU since they are hosting one. I haven't heard back yet. Not sure why the AD drags their feet with this. It isn't hard for them to at least create the event and zap it out to Scrappy, NT Daily online, their own site (of course)....

The Houston Game Houston Game Facebook with over 4,800 people stating they are going. Notice an individual created this.

Mean Green Fling Mean Green Fling Facebook with over 1,800 people stating they are going......created by an individual

Movie Night in New Stadium Movie Night created by Scrap and over 1,000 people are saying they are going.

Student Spirit Night

First Game of North Texas Basketball with over 500 saying they are going so far and created by a student First BBall Game

I also Facebooked Scrappy earlier to ask that he create an event for the Watching Party at the Stadium for FIU since they are hosting one. I haven't heard back yet. Not sure why the AD drags their feet with this. It isn't hard for them to at least create the event and zap it out to Scrappy, NT Daily online, their own site (of course)....

Agreed, these events need to be created by the AD. They are easy to do and great marketing tools that are free. Plus they look better when they are created by the proper source. I thought they were trying to do better with the whole social marketing thing. :rolleyes:

• Upvote 1

not everyone is on facebook/twitter/blogging/whatever. yes, the university needs to take advantage when they can, but a certain media isn't the only answer and way to do things. students know that a game is coming up and don't need a facebook event to know this...older alumni, may not be...emails/postcards/automated phone calls would help those individuals.

Edited by THOR
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

not everyone is on facebook/twitter/blogging/whatever. yes, the university needs to take advantage when they can, but a certain media isn't the only answer and way to do things. students know that a game is coming up and don't need a facebook event to know this...older alumni, may not be...emails/postcards/automated phone calls would help those individuals.

Its not about approaching your older alumni (though that occurs)...we do that through cards, emails, letters and word of mouth. This is about how to get the students engaged. Let me give you the breakdown:

A.) New Student comes to campus....meets someone....finds them on Facebook.

B.) New Student gets invite from other new students about when a particular game or event is through Facebook invite

C.) New Student ponders going....but now sees that 4k people say they are going rather than a comical number that they have always been told would be interested in UNT sports.

D.) New Student then uses the momentum gained on that Facebook event to establish a decision that they are going...because they can see that THAT is the place to be at that time.

E.) New Student gets a reminder on Facebook about the event all week and then more especially the day of everytime they logim

F.) New Student happens to have 800+ friends on their network and roughly 200-300 (it weeds out those you don't ever contact) will see their acceptance to the event. Those students know wonder if they are missing out and check the event out for themselves.

G.)New Student then invites to the event (personally) each and every person they know that would maybe be interested in going. Thus the cycle starts over again.

A STUDENT created the Houston game Facebook and 4k freaking people accepted. Now you tell me that Facebook isn't a priority because it takes longer than 5 minutes to setup an event and get that type of response. Again...I get that you Baby Boomers and older have issues with this technology but it isn't your enemy...it is your friend...AND it is free. I never said that this was the only way to reach people..I only suggested that it was not being used by them and it 100% should be because for the time invested in what it takes to create an event page you could have licked stuffed and licked 30 letters, made 3 phone calls, designed 1/50th of your postcard design and so on.

If you were to go to Scrap Eagle's page (and I don't even know if he is official) you will see 1,800+ friends with that number growing everyday. It grows because everyone sees their friends joining his page and then do so himself. As he collects friends his own clout and ability to get the message out becomes stronger and stronger. You don't belong in the marketing profession if you cannot see a benefit of hitting this and hitting it hard.

grandpa.jpg

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Student Spirit Night

Scrap the Eagle is the Athletics marketing department, so they're not dragging their feet. Mean Green Fling isn't an Athletic event, it's a Student Activities program. And I know this is in response to a different post, but Scrappy is Scrap the Eagle because a student already created a facebook for Scrappy. Hope this helps :)

• Upvote 1

My first thought...how do we know that wasn't in their plans and the student just jimped the gun?

So far, I've had little to complain about the opening day campaign. It should be perfectly fine for any student or alum to launch their own campaign regardless of AD support.

As a matter of fact I worry about some recurring thoughts that we've oversold the opening. I worry that 30,000 students show up for the opening and 5-10,000 have no place to sit. Because the student body is so heavily involved, I fear that an abnormal number of students may want to "follow their dollars" on opening day. It may be a nightmare for the CSC staff but a welcome problem for our confidence in support.

Maybe PlummMeanGreen was right; you build a stadium equal to the number in your student body or more.

As a matter of fact I worry about some recurring thoughts that we've oversold the opening. I worry that 30,000 students show up for the opening and 5-10,000 have no place to sit.

That's a far better scenario than 10,000 empty seats. Should that happen, I would hope they would open up any unsold reserved seating to students.

My first thought...how do we know that wasn't in their plans and the student just jimped the gun?

So far, I've had little to complain about the opening day campaign. It should be perfectly fine for any student or alum to launch their own campaign regardless of AD support.

As a matter of fact I worry about some recurring thoughts that we've oversold the opening. I worry that 30,000 students show up for the opening and 5-10,000 have no place to sit. Because the student body is so heavily involved, I fear that an abnormal number of students may want to "follow their dollars" on opening day. It may be a nightmare for the CSC staff but a welcome problem for our confidence in support.

Maybe PlummMeanGreen was right; you build a stadium equal to the number in your student body or more.

Good. That's the first step to students lining up the night before and sleeping outside overnight in order to secure a seat in the stadium, just like students at TTech do now.

If only