Git Sum Presidentin' (Republican primaries)

Gingirich a serious candidate? He was kicked out of congress for a laundry list of ethics violations, that's not exactly easy to do, usually they just publicly scorn you and send you on your way. Ginigrich is joke, I think he's even shocked he's getting this much air time! He's not serious about winning, he's just trying to sell books. Most serious candidates don't leave the middle of a campaign to go on a pleasure cruise of the Greek islands. Really all of these people are a joke except Romney (who will end up winning the nom), and Huntsman. And c'mon Obama would run circles around newt, that ridiculous to say otherwise. I can see how that will start,

Newt: I'm obviously the best option, I'm not a Washington insider, I'll fight for the middle class of America.

Obama: ummmmm seriously? This is what I'm going against?

Edited by mattmartin817
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Any Republican candidate is better than the guy currently occupying the Oval Office...any of them. Yes, Newt has some baggage, so does Obama...so did LBJ...is it any worse than what Clinton did in the White Hose as a sitting president or what JFK did right under the nose of Jackie in the White House bedrooms?

It will be interesting to see if Newt gets the chance to debate Obama. He should beat the tar out of Obama if it were a real and fair debate. But as all of the "debates" seem to be, the questions will be handed out ahead of time and the candidates won't even answer to question asked 50% of the time. These are not debates, just campaign speeches in a set up format. But, sure would be fun to see a real one with college debate team rules and no pre-studied questions...with questions from truly non-partisan folks.

How fun would that be? No teleprompters...wow! Newt would just beat the stuffing out of Obama in that situation...alas we will never see it. Newt may not even get the nomination. I still think it is Romney's to lose, but you never know. Still time.

Newt's decisions in his personal life are hugely concerning for his judgement on other issues. Yes, thereis a connection. Just because one side does it, it doesn't make the conduct OK. Newt would be a disaster of a candidate. His gross ethical miscoonduct in congress will be used by the other side as an example of just what an insider Newt Gingrich was when he was in congress.

I don't like Romney, but would prefer him over Newt because he is far less of a slimey politician than good ole Newt. I will start taking a much closer look at Huntsman now, as, hopefully, will every other conservative. I don't think either Gingrich or Romney win the nomination, but I have no idea who will.

I think any democrat who presumes Gingrich is cannon fodder does so at their own peril.

If you've actually paid any attention to many of the long format interviews he has given, you'd see that he's open about discussing bad decisions and errors in judgement in his past.

...the most telling thing about Newt is that people know him. They already know the dirt, much of it manufactured or magnified, and yet in every major poll he's leading the Republican race AND beating Obama. Nancy thinks she's got dirt on him that's going to impact the race? The single most unpopular politician in America is going to be the person who's going to release the dirt and be taken seriously by anyone other than her nut riders who already drink the kool-aid?

...and when it comes down to a debate with Obama, Gingrich would eat his lunch. ...because Gingrich has Ideas, and Obama's got the same sorry line and blame everyone else crap he's been laying on all of us since the 2008 campaign, only now he has a dismal record too.

Gingrich isn't my first choice, but I'm certainly not concerned that he can't perform against Obama. ...and I'm happier than a pig in slop when I hear the Democrats acting like they can't lose if he gets the nomination.

The point is, there isn't really anything new and negative that can hurt him - he's easily the most vetted candidate to run for any office in the last 20 years.

I think the weight of the Cain endorsement and a Win in Iowa catapults Newt to a solid 2nd place and maybe even a dark horse 1st Place in NH. I'm not sure that anyone OTHER than Romney will have the ability to stay in and compete much past that point.

Even though Newt isn't my favorite, it's an easy choice between him and Obama for me, and according to the polls, for a growing number of voters as well.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

What big ideas does Gingrich have? People keep saying this, but all I've heard from him is the same stuff the republican party has been saying for years, for the most part he just totes the party line. Ron Paul has ideas, most of them crazy, but he has ideas!

Didn't you hear his big idea? We should put poor kids to work cleaning their own schools...you know, give them a taste of what their future career will be?

I didn't hear him make an such suggestion for kids in the suburbs, so all our kids should be safe.

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 1

What big ideas does Gingrich have? People keep saying this, but all I've heard from him is the same stuff the republican party has been saying for years, for the most part he just totes the party line. Ron Paul has ideas, most of them crazy, but he has ideas!

I don't want to use this thread as a point by point, but the ideas he is offering is a return to the principals of Reagan, which most certainly is NOT the stuff the Republican party has been saying since Reagan left office. The two Republican presidents since him have been moderate to progressives when it came to spending, domestic and economic issues. Cut the size of government, cut spending, address, despite the difficulty in doing so the entitlement programs that without major reform collapse in the near term, let business compete better on a world wide basis and make the US an attractive place for business to thrive. These are his ideas. While they not be "new" in the sense of never though of before, they paint a stark picture to what President Obama will be able to present in a debate format. I honestly believe this campaign will come down to the debates as a result of the economy which has now been strung around the President's neck. If he seems to have some real NEW ideas, not more class welfare and government spending, if he moderates like Clinton did, he MAY have a shot. ...if he keeps on this class warfare routine and his solution is more deficit spending, then the Republicans could nominate Porky Pig and beat him.

...Like I said, he isn't my first choice, but the "conventional wisdom" that counts him out in the general is nonsense, in my opinion.

Cut the size of government, cut spending,

Wait...I'm sorry...are you saying Reagan did this?

Ron Paul for me now.

How creepy would it be if we voted for the same person?

I also think a Paul vs. Obama campaign would create a supernova of confusion at FoxNews headquarters so great that the organization would violently implode...hopefully creating a powerful, vacuumous black-hole large enough for all the 24 hour news networks...INCLUDING Chris Matthews' head.

• Upvote 2

Yes, CBL, Reagan cut the size of Government and spending in relation to domestic agenda, yes. He did increase spending on the Military big time. Point taken, but decreasing regulation and thinning the government employee herd, and getting Government out of the way of business he was money.

I also think a Paul vs. Obama campaign would create a supernova of confusion at FoxNews headquarters so great that the organization would violently implode...hopefully creating a powerful, vacuumous black-hole large enough for all the 24 hour news networks...INCLUDING Chris Matthews' head.

It would also be a landslide for Obama, 40, perhaps 45 states.

Well crap. Plummer, you want me to send you this Herman Cain For President 2012 shirt that just now arrived in the mail?

It's either Newt or Ron Paul for me now.

Rubio should have jumped in. I think he would have done well.

Rick

Right there with you, Rick, on the Rubio thing. Next time, maybe.

Right there with you, Rick, on the Rubio thing. Next time, maybe.

We all forget that Rubio is barely 40 years old. His time to run will be in 2016 or 2020 (if the Republicans win in 2012).

In 2020, he will be 48, turning 49. Much more of an acceptable age for a President.

More like too Salsa-y right now.

(from Miami, Columbian wife, Cuban heritage - things to keep in mind before you go all racist up in here)

And yes, being a fan of Hip Hop should be an automatic disqualified when seeking Presidential election, for no other reason than your musical tastes suck.

• Upvote 1

More like too Salsa-y right now.

(from Miami, Columbian wife, Cuban heritage - things to keep in mind before you go all racist up in here)

And yes, being a fan of Hip Hop should be an automatic disqualified when seeking Presidential election, for no other reason than your musical tastes suck.

I don't know, man...maybe not the school in NYC, but certainly South Carolina has a bit of a reputation for racism...which did you mean?

I don't know, man...maybe not the school in NYC, but certainly South Carolina has a bit of a reputation for racism...which did you mean?

Wow. Can't believe you assume just because she is Colombian she couldn't have attended Columbia University.

Careful, categorizing like that will get you thrown off the compound.

Wow. Can't believe you assume just because she is Colombian she couldn't have attended Columbia University.

Careful, categorizing like that will get you thrown off the compound.

I simply asked you to clarify from which Columbia you were referring. I had no idea she was Colombian...you never even mentioned it...