Islay Scotch

Highlands Scotch

Japanese

American Corn

English

Brittany

Homemade Moonshine

Canadian

Crown sucks. Special Reserve Crown is just more expensive suck. Just because you spend more on a bottle it doesn't make it good.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

The whiskey hierarchy:

Bourbon

Rye

Irish

Speyside Scotch

Islay Scotch

Highlands Scotch

Japanese

American Corn

English

Brittany

Homemade Moonshine

Canadian

Crown sucks. Special Reserve Crown is just more expensive suck. Just because you spend more on a bottle it doesn't make it good.

laughable.

Get what you pay for like all things in life. Aged longer, distilled better, keep your kentucky bourbon and moonshine, regardless, my initial point is still accurate, alums will have better alcohol than college kids. Argue over that?

Probably going to try and tell me a Buick is just as good as a Lexus as well huh?

Too bad Laurie didn't censor that post.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

laughable.

Get what you pay for like all things in life. Aged longer, distilled better, keep your kentucky bourbon and moonshine, regardless, my initial point is still accurate, alums will have better alcohol than college kids. Argue over that?

Probably going to try and tell me a Buick is just as good as a Lexus as well huh?

Too bad Laurie didn't censor that post.

If the kids have a handle of Beam, they're winning.

I bet you mix your Special Reserve with coke, huh? Not sure which would be sugary-er.

Go get yourself a bottle of Basil Hayden's, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Rittenhouse Rye, Sazerac Rye...or if you HAVE to throw down a playa's roll to feel like you're getting quality, Pappy Van Winkle.

• Upvote 1

If the kids have a handle of Beam, they're winning.

I bet you mix your Special Reserve with coke, huh? Not sure which would be sugary-er.

Go get yourself a bottle of Basil Hayden's, Bulleit, Buffalo Trace, Eagle Rare, Rittenhouse Rye, Sazerac Rye...or if you HAVE to throw down a playa's roll to feel like you're getting quality, Pappy Van Winkle.

Prefer mine neat and chilled or rocks...

Preference.

They can keep the handle of beam, thats a joke, they'd all prefer to drink Crown and they'll admit it.

To each their own, but they're still not winning.

Nothing to do with a bank roll, I'm sitting in the cheap seats, no club kid, but when a once in a lifetime event happens I dig deeper. So yes, I'll splurge for the Season Opener, like I did for the Fouts Finale, the Finals with the Mavs and with the OKC trip 2 yrs ago for Mens Bball.

Come by the bus, we'll share a drink.

Edited by FloMoGrad

I like Bourbon, Rye, Irish, Scotch and Japanese, although my hierarchy might be in a slightly different order than Laurie's (Have you TRIED Yamazaki 18-year-old?). Regardless, I can't believe this thread is swinging Nixons around over who drinks the best whiskey. The road may be different, the handling of the vehicle a little tighter, but the destination is still the same, fellas.

Nobody cares what you're drinking at the tailgate. They just care that you're there.

• Upvote 2

I know nothing of Whiskey or Scotch but I do know that my husband has had a bottle of that 12 year aged Chivas Regal sitting in our bar sealed and his parents bought it for him when he graduated high school. They told him he could open it when he graduated from college. Well that never happened (opening the bottle...he did graduate from college lol). I would guess that including the 12 years it's supposedly aged it is now 30 years old? Can that stuff go bad?

I think tailgating this year is going to be a blast. Then again, I have a blast every year.

I dont think yall know how we do things.. We start with the makers for pregame, beer for tailgating, makers in our flask, and a bottle of Aberlour and a padron celebrating the win

Oh yeah the girls will be there too

Then going out to the tavern yelling north texas chants

Edited by Dr. Seuss

+1 for promoting Basil Hayden... that stuff is ridiculous. not many bourbons on the market that i prefer with ginger ale instead of diet coke. that stuff is about as smooth as any triple distilled irish whiskey (excluding Paddy)

The whiskey hierarchy:

Bourbon

Rye

Irish

Speyside Scotch

Islay Scotch

Highlands Scotch

Japanese

American Corn

English

Brittany

Homemade Moonshine

Canadian

hahahaha, you beat me to it. Best post ever!

hahahaha, you beat me to it. Best post ever!

personally, i liked the list, but give me irish at the top by a mile (powers, clontarf, paddy, jameson 12 year). we've all got our individual tastes and american bourbon does a better job at giving me heartburn than anything else.

I dont see the problem with crown other than the company's insane overhead which forces it to charge double what it should. it's really not a bad sipping drink and always makes for a good time when mixed with a bit of 7up. granted, I haven't purchased a bottle since they charged $18 for it when I was 22 years old but I'm usually kind of happy to get it in the gift set from buddies at holiday/birthday time.

I also encourage the use of moonshine in most mixed drinks (anything with vodka). it can make any pinky raising drink a crowd pleaser and is magical with a bit of apple cider + lemonade.

sadly, i've yet to experience the speyside, islay, or brittany blends but will absolutely keep my eyes peeled :(

For my tailgate this fall, I'm hoping to score as much tortuga rum as airport customs will let me bring home from vacation this summer and pray that it lasts me more than 2 games.

• Upvote 1

I would guess that including the 12 years it's supposedly aged it is now 30 years old? Can that stuff go bad?

Booze doesn't age in the bottle. It's no longer taking on the characteristics of the barrel, and it's not evaporating (the angel's share). On the plus side, it should be every bit as good as it was the day your husband graduated high school. Won't go bad in an unopened bottle. Once opened, it might start evaporating a little bit, but would still be drinkable for a couple years or more.

I also encourage the use of moonshine in most mixed drinks (anything with vodka). it can make any pinky raising drink a crowd pleaser and is magical with a bit of apple cider + lemonade.

Some of the hillbillies in our family mix home made apple cider with moonshine and call it apple pie. Very good and very deceiving.

Speyside Scotch is suppose to be one of the best I have never had it. But, I have had some Islay Scotch and it is very very smoky from the peat, still can't decide if I like it.

• Upvote 1

Some of the hillbillies in our family mix home made apple cider with moonshine and call it apple pie. Very good and very deceiving.

that's awesome. i had family in Welch WV which have since split up into Bristol VA/TN & Winchester VA. I'm fairly certain they were raised on mountain dew (not the soda) and pipe tobacco. those genes must be where i got the taste for it.

Never had any of the rye's, but the others are damn nice bourbons. Buffalo Trace absolutely can't be beat at the price. Just finished a bottle of Knob Creek, which is pretty good. (Side note: Imagine my surprise at finding a bottle of Knob Creek at a roadside gas station in rural southern Honduras. Seriously, you can't find bourbon ANYWHERE in this country, including bars. They also had Maker's Mark.)

I would add Bakers and Bookers to the list. Also a fan of Blanton's, which I fortunately can usually get at the commisary at the Embassy.

Booker is as good as it gets when it comes to bourbon. However, I prefer Jack Daniels' Single Barrel if I'm coughing up the money.

I'm going to Lou's tonight so I might try a rye for the first time.