Size....have We Made Any Progress?

I just ran across my old copy of the program from the North Texas-Oregon State game on Sept. 16, 1995 (we won for those of you might not know).

What impressed me was the overall size of our squad back 16 years ago. For example: OL: Kevin Williams 6-3 290; Jody Price 6-1 270; Vince Patterson 6-6 265; David Morgan 6-1 280; Jeff Daniels 6-4 265; Robert Waddle 6-3 280; Laymond Lee 6-2 285 Steve Gilliand 6-4 250; Mike Perez 6-4 308; Keith Miller 6-3 295; Tony Castillo 6-2 280; Chris Fogelle 6-4 265; Menell Weiss 6-2 300; Dan Watson 6-6 285; Jeff Bowles 6-3 275; Chris Hornbeck 6-3 260; Jarod Martin 6-4 255

On the DL: Phillip Armour 6-4 255; Wlllis Hudson 6-1 250; Andre Phillips 6-1 280; Shane McLaughlin 6-5 280; Steven Hunt 6-4 235; Aaron Woodward 6-4 240; Brad Spinks 6-2 230;

We also had at TE: Brian Waters 6-3 235;Dodd Rimby 6-5 235 and Rodney Hall 6-3 233 and three linebackers weighing 220 or more.

In comparing us with the Oregon State squad, we were giving away nothing in size.

• Downvote 1

What I would really like to see is for ways to keep more of our big guys on campus this summer, or otherwise to have more direct contact with the S&C staff between the end of the spring semester and the start of fall practice. It seems like there were at least a couple of guys we hoped would have big years who came into fall camp noticeably above their previous year's weight, and not in good condition.

We have made tremendous progress regarding size. Come this fall we will have 1 athlete that is 6'6"; 11 that are 6'5"; and 13 that are 6'4". Eight to ten weigh in around 300 or better. More could join the ranks after the summer. We won't be out-sized by many but as we have heard many times in the past...size isn't everything!

Edited by GrayEagle

We have made tremendous progress regarding size. Come this fall we will have 1 athlete that is 6'6"; 11 that are 6'5"; and 13 that are 6'4". Eight to ten weigh in around 300 or better. More could join the ranks after the summer. We won't be out-sized by many but as we have heard many times in the past...size isn't everything!

It is not the size of the dog in the fight, but the size of the fight in the dog.

Well it looks like FFR was right.

We were talking yesterday, and he said that one of the things that annoyed him about the board these days is that you can't start a serious thread and/or discussion about anything without it devolving into junior-high-like penis jokes within two or three responses.

<_<

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

We were talking yesterday, and he said that one of the things that annoyed him about the board these days is that you can't start a serious thread and/or discussion about anything without it devolving into junior-high-like penis jokes within two or three responses.

<_<

516291.1-lg.jpg

<_<

Or diabetes, or quitters, or SMU, or Tune's run away dog, or Western Civilizations, or eating crow, or etc...........

:lol:

• Upvote 2

I just ran across my old copy of the program from the North Texas-Oregon State game on Sept. 16, 1995 (we won for those of you might not know).

What impressed me was the overall size of our squad back 16 years ago. For example: OL: Kevin Williams 6-3 290; Jody Price 6-1 270; Vince Patterson 6-6 265; David Morgan 6-1 280; Jeff Daniels 6-4 265; Robert Waddle 6-3 280; Laymond Lee 6-2 285 Steve Gilliand 6-4 250; Mike Perez 6-4 308; Keith Miller 6-3 295; Tony Castillo 6-2 280; Chris Fogelle 6-4 265; Menell Weiss 6-2 300; Dan Watson 6-6 285; Jeff Bowles 6-3 275; Chris Hornbeck 6-3 260; Jarod Martin 6-4 255

On the DL: Phillip Armour 6-4 255; Wlllis Hudson 6-1 250; Andre Phillips 6-1 280; Shane McLaughlin 6-5 280; Steven Hunt 6-4 235; Aaron Woodward 6-4 240; Brad Spinks 6-2 230;

We also had at TE: Brian Waters 6-3 235;Dodd Rimby 6-5 235 and Rodney Hall 6-3 233 and three linebackers weighing 220 or more.

In comparing us with the Oregon State squad, we were giving away nothing in size.

Strickly by the numbers posted for height and weight the answer is yes, but that was 16 years ago. Another issue is the BS factor. Are the heights/weights listed in 1995 accurate or over-inflated? Are the heights/weights accurate now? Who really knows?

Here is what I know. We were small then and we are small now compared to teams from AQ schools. I just did a quick comparison between our roster and OU's as listed on each university's website. The rosters are very comparible on the web but we know better when we play teams like that.

Links for your viewing pleasure.

UNTOU

Strickly by the numbers posted for height and weight the answer is yes, but that was 16 years ago. Another issue is the BS factor. Are the heights/weights listed in 1995 accurate or over-inflated? Are the heights/weights accurate now? Who really knows?

Here is what I know. We were small then and we are small now compared to teams from AQ schools. I just did a quick comparison between our roster and OU's as listed on each university's website. The rosters are very comparible on the web but we know better when we play teams like that.

Links for your viewing pleasure.

UNTOU

Those were Matt Simon's boys! We had just moved from IAA to IA and had some great transfers. What was that guy's name that was the "Booger" of that era? He changed his name a few times. Montgomery? He played arena ball up in New York for awhile.

I do agree with Harry, those are some great names to see. I had not thought about that group in a long time.

Those were Matt Simon's boys! We had just moved from IAA to IA and had some great transfers. What was that guy's name that was the "Booger" of that era? He changed his name a few times. Montgomery? He played arena ball up in New York for awhile.

I do agree with Harry, those are some great names to see. I had not thought about that group in a long time.

Corbin Epps/Corbin Montgomery/some Muslim name