Football Question

Ryno10

What's goin on all, I just transfered here from out of state (Alabama), and was wanting to find out some stuff about UNT Football. Coming from Alabama to UNT the football is pretty different it seems hah, I checked out the scores for last season and it seemed pretty bad, I'm not tryin to dog anyone btw. With the coach being McCarney now, do you think the chances are goin to go up for having a good season this year? I gota admit I wasnt all that excited about UNT sports but that new stadium is gettin me kind of pumped. Lat question, what are the odds of UNT getting a baseball team?

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

I don't know how much the chances went up for a good season this coming season with McCarney. Based on his recruiting strategy, it seems he is pretty well in full rebuild mode. But our team last year was quite a bit better than the record might indicate--we lost a number of starters for the year very early in the season. And we do have some good talent on our roster. If you don't know of him yet, you will know of Lance Dunbar. He is the best tailback in the Sun Belt, and probably top 15 or 20 in the country. Winning 10 games is not going to happen, but we should field a team that is competitive with just about anybody in conference.

As far as getting a baseball team, we have had tentative plans to do that for some time now. We actually had a donor offer to underwrite the whole program, but our A.D. wanted to make the new football stadium top priority. Once that's done, we'll probably start moving in a baseball-y direction, but I don't think they'll want to do it until we can do it right.

Welcome to the board, and welcome to UNT!

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board!

For what it's worth, this team has a lot of dog fight in them with Canales around. It is really really exciting to many of us that DMac retained him at OC, and he wants to be here. I like to think we will start turning it around soon.

Also, our running back is awesome.

Say, do you like politics?

Edited by greenminer
  • Upvote 1

I don't know how much the chances went up for a good season this coming season with McCarney. Based on his recruiting strategy, it seems he is pretty well in full rebuild mode.

This is impossible. Four years ago the exact same thing was said and many will tell you we are now "better off" than we were. Can't re-build what's already been improved...or can you?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 7

Welcome to the board

If you are a student please feel free to check out the baskeball game on thursday or saturady. We need all the butts in the seats that we can get. If not a current student and would like a free ticket to the game(s) please PM myself SUMG or The Tasty Greeek or any others out there and we will be sure to help you out.

If you are a armchair QB , a smart ass or like heated debates about politics then you have found your home

• Upvote 2

Welcome to the board, glad to have you here. You are getting here at the right time football-wise, as we all anticipate some better days ahead under Coach Mac. Basketball has been strong under Johnny Jones. You will get a lot of opinions about when baseball will start here but most agree that it would be a great thing to have at North Texas.

What's goin on all, I just transfered here from out of state (Alabama), and was wanting to find out some stuff about UNT Football. Coming from Alabama to UNT the football is pretty different it seems hah, I checked out the scores for last season and it seemed pretty bad, I'm not tryin to dog anyone btw. With the coach being McCarney now, do you think the chances are goin to go up for having a good season this year? I gota admit I wasnt all that excited about UNT sports but that new stadium is gettin me kind of pumped. Lat question, what are the odds of UNT getting a baseball team?

Welcome! Football will be better this coming season just because of the upgrade in coaching and some pretty good returning talent.

• Upvote 2

Welcome Ryno10! So, which Alabama team was your favorite? Did you regularly attend games? I greatly admire the "pagentry" that SEC schools put on. I'm hoping that our "pagentry" will greatly improve with our new "venue". Stop by the "gomeangreen' tailgating area this fall and you will be well fed.....and hydrated.

We're still working on our game day festivities, as we were not even allowed to tailgate at games until about 2000. We're catching up however.

• Upvote 1

Welcome to the board...send me a PM and I'll fill you in on the benefits of joining the Mean green Club or to owing season tickets in the new stadium. But, most of all...really glad to have you and yes, please check out the basketball game tonight at the Super Pit. As NT03 says, we could use the rear end in the seat and I'll wager you will have a very good time at the game.

WELCOME ABOARD! and GO MEAN GREEN! You will soon find out that many good things are happening at UNT these days!

I don't know how much the chances went up for a good season this coming season with McCarney. Based on his recruiting strategy, it seems he is pretty well in full rebuild mode. But our team last year was quite a bit better than the record might indicate--we lost a number of starters for the year very early in the season. And we do have some good talent on our roster. If you don't know of him yet, you will know of Lance Dunbar. He is the best tailback in the Sun Belt, and probably top 15 or 20 in the country. Winning 10 games is not going to happen, but we should field a team that is competitive with just about anybody in conference.

As far as getting a baseball team, we have had tentative plans to do that for some time now. We actually had a donor offer to underwrite the whole program, but our A.D. wanted to make the new football stadium top priority. Once that's done, we'll probably start moving in a baseball-y direction, but I don't think they'll want to do it until we can do it right.

Welcome to the board, and welcome to UNT!

when you say "underwrite the entire program",what did that include? the cost of a new $5 million+ stadium, cost of coaches, equiment,scholarships,etc. i must have slept thru that. just asking.

Welcome Ryno10! So, which Alabama team was your favorite? Did you regularly attend games? I greatly admire the "pagentry" that SEC schools put on. I'm hoping that our "pagentry" will greatly improve with our new "venue". Stop by the "gomeangreen' tailgating area this fall and you will be well fed.....and hydrated.

We're still working on our game day festivities, as we were not even allowed to tailgate at games until about 2000. We're catching up however.

University of Alabama, yea, I grew up in Tuscaloosa so I attended a couple of games a season, and then baseball in the spring. Im hoping this is a good season cause I plan on going to the games, i've been catching a lot of flack from friends back home about going to UNT cause Bama beat them 53-7, but I keep sayin they'll bounce back. It might be me just being selfish and wanting another Bama-ish team though hah. Also, bring on the baseball! I hope they decide to start on that when they get this football season started and out of the way.

Thanks for all the greetings everyone

University of Alabama, yea, I grew up in Tuscaloosa so I attended a couple of games a season, and then baseball in the spring. Im hoping this is a good season cause I plan on going to the games, i've been catching a lot of flack from friends back home about going to UNT cause Bama beat them 53-7, but I keep sayin they'll bounce back. It might be me just being selfish and wanting another Bama-ish team though hah. Also, bring on the baseball! I hope they decide to start on that when they get this football season started and out of the way.

Bama got beat by the mighty UL-Monroe -- our conference foe.

Unless your friends can move their entire team, stadium and atmosphere to Denton, they can put ULM in their pipe and smoke it.

Personally, I think you cheer for your school first, then locale second. You are Mean Green by choice and Crimson by birth, no changing that.

Bama got beat by the mighty UL-Monroe -- our conference foe.

Unless your friends can move their entire team, stadium and atmosphere to Denton, they can put ULM in their pipe and smoke it.

Personally, I think you cheer for your school first, then locale second. You are Mean Green by choice and Crimson by birth, no changing that.

Then they won a nc a year or 2 later...

Edited by SHOSS
  • Downvote 2

And finally. What is your classification, fr., soph....etc? And why did you choose UNT? Was there a specific degree that UA didn't offer?

>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

RE baseball....there are a couple of things holding this up....1. No baseball stadium...the FB stadium is taking all excess funds at this point.

2. No baseball stadium.....see # 1

3. Cost of operating a baseball program...I was VP Finance and ADm at El Paso Community College...the board of regents at that time pushed this as EPCC had no other athletic programs. It cost EPCC over $350,000 for the first year of operations( Not counting coaching salaries)....not counting cost of a baseball field) Also

At the cost of draining all possible monies out of the general fund balance.

4. National gender relations would require additional womens programs to offset the male athletes. Again more cost.

when you say "underwrite the entire program",what did that include? the cost of a new $5 million+ stadium, cost of coaches, equiment,scholarships,etc. i must have slept thru that. just asking.

Al Goldfield offered $1.5 million to start the program.

No, he donated $1.5 million to the football stadium, but he offered to underwrite the entire baseball program. I assume that would not include the stadium, but I don't know.

"I offered at one point to underwrite a whole baseball program at North Texas and they turned me down," Goldfield said. "They didn't want to have baseball back then."

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/stories/DRC_UNT_Goldfield_1-27.22c325df.html

No, he donated $1.5 million to the football stadium, but he offered to underwrite the entire baseball program. I assume that would not include the stadium, but I don't know.

Thanks for the clarification. Wonder if he is still inclined to offer. Goldfield Ballpark sounds nice.

I'd go back to Alabama if I were you. At the very least get off this board.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

And finally. What is your classification, fr., soph....etc? And why did you choose UNT? Was there a specific degree that UA didn't offer?

Soph. A mix of reasons, im going into Hydrology and UNT has a good Geology/Geography departmen, and the other reason is that Tuscaloosa got WAY to small after I graduated hah, ran out of things to do there so I though i'd move to the big city hah, Denton's a good bit bigger I think.

Soph. A mix of reasons, im going into Hydrology and UNT has a good Geology/Geography departmen, and the other reason is that Tuscaloosa got WAY to small after I graduated hah, ran out of things to do there so I though i'd move to the big city hah, Denton's a good bit bigger I think.

This is the first time that I have ever heard Denton called "big". Many of the students at North Texas consider it a very small town.