Egypt Government About To Fall?

another muslim extremist state?

No.

This could be just the beginning. Hope all the Doves are prepared for $6.00 a gallon gasoline.

What does being a "dove" have anything to do with $6.00 gas? And how do you figure gas suddenly being $6 as a result?

Edited by Coffee and TV
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 5

Egypt's unemployment hover's around 20%....probably more....rising food prices & about 40% or so of their population lives on about $2.00/day.

Look at the high unemployment and protest/riots in Greece last year. Look at the high unemployment in Portugal and Spain. These countries including our own are experiencing high unemployment, runaway debt and rising fuel and food prices. I would say that food prices in the United States, alone, over the last two years have increased 15-20 percent or more.

What we are seeing here is about to come to America IF the current administration does not begin major cuts in spending across the board including entitlements and foreign aide.

If you want to read what the US press is not reporting I would suggest you go world-newspapers.com and pick some European country of your choice (for the most part they are all in the English language)and start reading.

Is this an Islamic overthrow of the Egyptian government? no. Do I think there are some radical Islamists behind some of the rioting? sure. Do I think that other countries are egging on some of the aggitation? sure. Do we get any of our oil from Egypt? no and if we do it ain't much. But, the Suez Canal is vitally important to the transport of Middle Eastern oil in time and money.

Look at Tunisa....same situation as in Egypt.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 3

A great book that talks about the brotherhood and their influence on society(as well as general islamic society) is Infedel by Ayan Hirsi Ali.

It is an autobiographical book on her experience growing up in Somolia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Kenya, then Germany, and Netherlands.

Quite an interesting book.

• Upvote 1

A great book that talks about the brotherhood and their influence on society(as well as general islamic society) is Infedel by Ayan Hirsi Ali.

It is an autobiographical book on her experience growing up in Somolia, Saudi Arabia, Ethiopia, Kenya, then Germany, and Netherlands.

How about a synopsis Travis. Sounds interesting.

Edited by eulesseagle

she actually spoke at UNT two years ago

That still doesn't answer either one of my questions.

Egypt controls the Suez Canal, through which millions of gallons of oil are shipped through every month. Markets are reactive. The price of oil is up over half a dollar a barrell just with the unrest. If this government falls, I would expect a $10 a barrell jump.

As for those who don't think Egypt could become a muslim state, why don't you review the history of Iran. Huge parallels.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I was wondering when the mis-categorization, biased-ly drawn conclusions and hyperbole would begin on this situation.

Disappointingly slow on this one, fellas...but carry on...this has some great potential.

Ya, I was a little slow on gertting this one going.

Add to that the disappointment that it took you 13 posts to become involved.

If only this was another conference realignment thread.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Ya, I was a little slow on gertting this one going.

Add to that the disappointment that it took you 13 posts to become involved.

If only this was another conference realignment thread.

I avoid the interwebs as much as possible on the weekends.

Somehow we champion the over-throw of Ben Ali in Tunisia as a demonstration of real Democracy in action...yet solely because Mubarak has been somewhat U.S. friendly for the past 30 years we're willing to ignore his corruption and mis-treatment of the Egyptian people...and then speculate that these protests are a covert attempt by Islamic extremists to over-throw the Egyptian government.

These protests were going to happen no matter what occurred in Tunisia when Mubarak was up for re-"election" in October...the ouster of Ben Ali simply accelerated the time-table. Their foundation...and now subsequent protests in Yemen...is fundamentally the same as in Tunisia, a want for legitimate Democracy and equitable treatment.

• Upvote 2

I avoid the interwebs as much as possible on the weekends.

Somehow we champion the over-throw of Ben Ali in Tunisia as a demonstration of real Democracy in action...yet solely because Mubarak has been somewhat U.S. friendly for the past 30 years we're willing to ignore his corruption and mis-treatment of the Egyptian people...and then speculate that these protests are a covert attempt by Islamic extremists to over-throw the Egyptian government.

These protests were going to happen no matter what occurred in Tunisia when Mubarak was up for re-"election" in October...the ouster of Ben Ali simply accelerated the time-table. Their foundation...and now subsequent protests in Yemen...is fundamentally the same as in Tunisia, a want for legitimate Democracy and equitable treatment.

Don't really disagree with you that much, other than to point out that any time there is unrest in previous stable muslim countries, there is ALWAYS a risk that if the government is deposed, the new government will be a fundamentalist Islamic government. Egypt is more concerning than Tunisia because of the national interests of the U.S.

Although they are not the only factions involved, fundamental muslim groups are VERY involved in these protests, and will make a huge push to control the government if the current government falls.

People really need to research the fall of the Shaw of Iran. What started out as a push for democracy was hijacked by the muslim extremist, and we all know the ending to that story.

Edited by UNT90
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Don't really disagree with you that much, other than to point out that any time there is unrest in previous stable muslim countries, there is ALWAYS a risk that if the government is deposed, the new government will be a fundamentalist Islamic government. Egypt is more concerning than Tunisia because of the national interests of the U.S.

Although they are not the only factions involved, fundamental muslim groups are VERY involved in these protests, and will make a huge push to control the government if the current government falls.

People really need to research the fall of the Shaw of Iran. What started out as a push for democracy was hijacked by the muslim extremist, and we all know the ending to that story.

Brian Shaw...former Boston Celtic, Orlando Magic and LA Laker shooting guard?

So many other factors played into what Iran became and has become and subsequent Western tension/perception than simply the over-throw of the Shah. I'd also say "stability" is also a very subjective term in this case...

These protest may well now include some Islamic fundamentalist groups...but they were haphazardly organized, largely by students and the working class via social networking sites...and have gained the support and participation of many Christians in the area. These are not religious protests. To say there was any sort of organized, fundamentalist movement is fallacy.

If the U.S. government supported the display of Democracy in Tunisia, it has to support the display of Democracy in Egypt. If our interests are more vital in Egypt, then we certainly need to be more pro-active diplomatically than need would merit in Tunisia...however Ben Ali and Mubarak are essentially one in the same...as are their (attempted) ousters.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So many other factors played into what Iran became and has become and subsequent Western tension/perception than simply the over-throw of the Shah. I'd also say "stability" is also a very subjective term in this case...

These protest may well now include some Islamic fundamentalist groups...but they were haphazardly organized, largely by students and the working class via social networking sites...and have gained the support and participation of many Christians in the area. These are not religious protests. To say there was any sort of organized, fundamentalist movement is fallacy.

If the U.S. government supported the display of Democracy in Tunisia, it has to support the display of Democracy in Egypt. If our interests are more vital in Egypt, then we certainly need to be more pro-active diplomatically than need would merit in Tunisia...however Ben Ali and Mubarak are essentially one in the same...as are their (attempted) ousters.

The riots in Tehran were student initiated and also demanded democracy. The students were used by Khomeni to gain control of the government with a false promise of democracy that never came.

Tunisians may want democracy, but others returning to that country may not. I hope not.

Egyptians may want democracy, but this group and this man may have other plans.

Close your eyes and wish it away all you want, but these are huge dangers facing both of these countries right now.

• Upvote 1

I celebrate what's going on in Egypt. Anytime people stand up for what they believe, take to the streets, and oust a dictator, I'm on board. This rebellion isn't religious in nature. How it looks after remains to be seen. But right now, it isn't any of our damned business. Worried about oil? Stop being dependent on it. Find another source (like in our own back yard) or find another sustainable form of energy in our own backyard.

That our first concern is how this impacts our own interests is absurd. They want representation in the decisions of their country. Who can fault them for that? Good for the Egyptian people, I say. This seems like something most Americans could identify with and celebrate.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1