Basketball: Mitchell Biggest Steal Yet For Unt

Harry

“They could be very special,” Kunstadt said. “They could make some noise nationally and win games in the NCAA Tournament if they stick with it, improve individually and play as a team."

http://www.dentonrc....7.f4036a2b.html

I grew up, and graduated with Mr. Kunstad's daughter. He is awesome, and 'obviously' knows what he is talking about. It was always fun to talk to him about certain college prospects.

I grew up, and graduated with Mr. Kunstad's daughter. He is awesome, and 'obviously' knows what he is talking about. It was always fun to talk to him about certain college prospects.

really? Cause I grew up with them too. We grew up two houses down from each other....though I never think that Mike forgave me for playing "pirates" with my buddy/neighbor Josh and we robbed/looted the girl's lemonade stand. Not my finest hour. Did you go to Irving?

Edited by All About UNT

“They could be very special,” Kunstadt said. “They could make some noise nationally and win games in the NCAA Tournament if they stick with it, improve individually and play as a team."

That kind of talk gives me chills just thinking about it. This is by far our biggest signing in the last 30 yrs, period. Bigger than Cole or any other transfer. Kid went to class at Pinkston, had no issues there. Missed TAKS by one point on math. Our academic advisors and athletic staff will provide Tony with every resource available to get him eligible. And from the sound of it, he has until the end of the Fall Semester to complete 24 hrs, unless I'm reading that incorrectly? That seems highly manageable.

That kind of talk gives me chills just thinking about it. This is by far our biggest signing in the last 30 yrs, period. Bigger than Cole or any other transfer. Kid went to class at Pinkston, had no issues there. Missed TAKS by one point on math. Our academic advisors and athletic staff will provide Tony with every resource available to get him eligible. And from the sound of it, he has until the end of the Fall Semester to complete 24 hrs, unless I'm reading that incorrectly? That seems highly manageable.

And not to sound cheesy but if he stays through the summer and busts out a class each Summer Session then that will up his commitment to both attending and succeeding while in class. We have to want him to not jump ship and hop over to the NBA with the thought of the big paycheck on his mind. He needs to take some time to better himself and put his feet on the ground before going for the gusto.

Looks like they plan to have him caught up by the end of the summer:

http://www.columbiamissourian.com/stories/2011/01/26/tony-mitchell-ineligible-north-texas-missouri-mens-basketball-team-mean-green/

Whether Mitchell will be accepted as a student is not yet known, but Smith is confident the player who was ranked as the No. 12 recruit out of high school will be in a North Texas lecture hall soon.

“He’ll take 15 hours this spring semester, come back and take nine in the summer … He’ll come back that fall, and he’ll be eligible Dec. 17,” Smith said.

"Smith said Mitchell has no interest in trying to transfer schools if his eligibility is granted next year. He said if Mitchell doesn’t leave to pursue a career in the NBA, he will remain at North Texas.

“From what I’ve seen and heard, right now it’s North Texas. That’s what it’s gonna be. That’s where he is. That’s it,” Smith said.

But even if Mitchell eventually joins the North Texas Mean Green, Smith is quick to note that his former player’s heart was set on being a Missouri Tiger.

“You know just like I know, and everybody else knows. The kid wanted to be at Missouri,” Smith said. “He didn’t get in. It didn’t happen.”

What is the point of writing this portion? Your coach sent him to a diploma mill and didn't do him any favors by doing so. (EDIT.....I Am a dumbski who confused Mike Anderson of Mizzou's actions with Frank Martin of KSU...my apologies).

Edited by All About UNT

"Smith said Mitchell has no interest in trying to transfer schools if his eligibility is granted next year. He said if Mitchell doesn’t leave to pursue a career in the NBA, he will remain at North Texas.

“From what I’ve seen and heard, right now it’s North Texas. That’s what it’s gonna be. That’s where he is. That’s it,” Smith said.

But even if Mitchell eventually joins the North Texas Mean Green, Smith is quick to note that his former player’s heart was set on being a Missouri Tiger.

“You know just like I know, and everybody else knows. The kid wanted to be at Missouri,” Smith said. “He didn’t get in. It didn’t happen.”

What is the point of writing this portion? Your coach sent him to a diploma mill and didn't do him any favors by doing so.

No...Frank Martin of Kansas State sent him to CLA...not Mike Anderson at Mizzou.

I think the point of writing this is that both Mitchell and Smith have a great deal of respect and regard for Mike Anderson and appreciate him and the Mizzou program for doing everything in their power to make him a Tiger. I see nothing wrong with this statement what-so-ever.

• Upvote 1