New Head Coach Hires Rated

eulessismore

For our job to be rated the same as La-La is crazy! Coach Mac is also under rated. I give the article 0 stars!

Well, the writer seems to be saying as much in his piece on La-La: "This is the second-best of the three Sun Belt jobs that came open, but it's a long drop from North Texas to ULL in the figurative sense." I guess he's inferrring there are problems with his rating system without right out admitting it.

At this point in the process, and I know its very early, I'd have to say the selection of Dan McCarney is 4 stars (especially higher than the ULL new coach)instead of 3 stars and I'd certainly rate the job above Indiana and Vanderbilt although I understand in the national scene Big Ten & SEC trump Sun Belt every time. But, as the writer acknowledged, the Metroplex proximity and the talent therein plus a the new stadium and a great campus make it the best opening in the Sun Belt. However, to put it in the same category as Ball State, Arkansas State (Jonesboro=Denton/ PLEASE!!), Kent State and Temple is a tremendous injustice to the Mean Green Nation. Just like recruiting classes the writer should come back in 3-4 years and then see where the stars align. GMG!

At this point in the process, and I know its very early, I'd have to say the selection of Dan McCarney is 4 stars (especially higher than the ULL new coach)instead of 3 stars and I'd certainly rate the job above Indiana and Vanderbilt although I understand in the national scene Big Ten & SEC trump Sun Belt every time. But, as the writer acknowledged, the Metroplex proximity and the talent therein plus a the new stadium and a great campus make it the best opening in the Sun Belt. However, to put it in the same category as Ball State, Arkansas State (Jonesboro=Denton/ PLEASE!!), Kent State and Temple is a tremendous injustice to the Mean Green Nation. Just like recruiting classes the writer should come back in 3-4 years and then see where the stars align. GMG!

I think we'd all have to agree with you, but also we all know it will take the recruiting class, the new stadium, AND winning to change those perceptions. Oh, and yes, where does he get off rating the La La hire higher than ours? I mean, who is Mark Hudspeth? In that sense, yes, 4 stars for Dan would be reasonable.

Edited by eulessismore

At first, I thought he was using a 4-star scale. But giving the Muschamp hire 3.5 out of 5 stars? That seems way low, but that's the highest he gave any hire. Placing the McCarney hire only 1/2 star below the Muschamp hire, and the same as the Brady Hoke hire, seems pretty complimentary. Not bad company.

At first, I thought he was using a 4-star scale. But giving the Muschamp hire 3.5 out of 5 stars? That seems way low, but that's the highest he gave any hire. Placing the McCarney hire only 1/2 star below the Muschamp hire, and the same as the Brady Hoke hire, seems pretty complimentary. Not bad company.

Yes, that's why I'm saying this article, if you read the whole thing, is complimentary to UNT. Brady Hoke, Al Golden, and Randy Edsall, all at the same 3 star rating as Coach Mac, puts him in some good company. It's just kind of a weird rating system for the schools and the coaches both.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

You also have to take into account that the star rating is a combination of the job and the hire, as I understood it. So the 3 star rating takes into account his opinion that NT is a 2 star job in desirability. So if the two sides are even, a 3 star rating means that 2 star job and a 4 star hire created a 3 star average.

I do not in any way see how the ULL rating was 3.5. It is a worse job and the new coach has no D1 head coaching experience.

Yes, that's the part I just don't get.

You also have to take into account that the star rating is a combination of the job and the hire, as I understood it. So the 3 star rating takes into account his opinion that NT is a 2 star job in desirability. So if the two sides are even, a 3 star rating means that 2 star job and a 4 star hire created a 3 star average.

I don't think that's the formula he's using. Consider what he said:

For our ratings "grade," an attempt was made to combine the attractiveness of the job with the actual hiring. When the "hiring rating" is higher than the job rating, the AD deserves extra credit.

So based on that, if UNT or ULL would have hired Muschamp or Golden, he would have actually ranked the hiring higher than he did for their being hired at Florida and Miami. So when he gives ULL a higher rating for the hire than he did for UNT, it might be in part because the job has less to offer.

He obviously is biased in that he mentions a preference for young up and comers over those who coached and did poorly-mediocre at it (not saying DMAC is either...cause he isn't)

There's a lot not to like about his ranking methodogy, but the greatest problem I have with the article is the talk about the potential the job gives the newly hired coach for "moving up". I'd like to know one sports fan who's looking for that in a newly hired coach. Maybe if they coached a two or three years for the school where they were just hired, it might be a worthwhile part of the discussion. The main thing I found interesting was the comparison of Mac's task at Iowa state against the Big 12 compared to what he'll face at North Texas against the Sun Belt. Yes, we'd all like a better conference home, but until then, we've got to start winning wherever we're playing.

But how many stars did Scout give McCarney? :goodjob:

Getting bent over someone's opinion is a waste of energy IMO. You guys are happy with your hire, and I guarentee you Cajun fans are excited about ours. Play ball! :thumbsu:

Late January is a little slow on the FB board, so we'll take any new topic we can get, including, but not limited to, bitching about some d-bags article on coaching rankings.

At least we're critiquing someones opinion and not on pure speculation, that's a move forward.

I could care less how Cajun Fans feel about their hire, I didn't log on to the Cajun Fan forum now did I.

Climb back in your hole and we'll see you and your happy to have him coach next year.

Good day sir. I say good day.

• Downvote 2

Late January is a little slow on the FB board, so we'll take any new topic we can get, including, but not limited to, bitching about some d-bags article on coaching rankings.

At least we're critiquing someones opinion and not on pure speculation, that's a move forward.

I could care less how Cajun Fans feel about their hire, I didn't log on to the Cajun Fan forum now did I.

Climb back in your hole and we'll see you and your happy to have him coach next year.

Good day sir. I say good day.

A little touchy today? :rolleyes: