Dmn And Signing Day Coverage

bdan2002

Since the DaMN went through a site redesign, it's tough navigating the site due to all the time-outs. I guess they didn't stress test the new design to make sure the hardware could handle the load of the new design?

• Upvote 1

I definitely agree...winning cures a lot of things, but it seems to me the basketball team has been doing a lot of winning over the last few years, and still has gotten very little pub in the DMN, the FW Star-Telegram nor the nightly TV news telecasts. Winning seems to cure a lot of things, just not the PR problem with UNT and the metroplex media outlets. One does have to wonder just what it will take? I have to assume there are plenty of UNT grads working for these firms.

• Upvote 2

I definitely agree...winning cures a lot of things, but it seems to me the basketball team has been doing a lot of winning over the last few years, and still has gotten very little pub in the DMN, the FW Star-Telegram nor the nightly TV news telecasts. Winning seems to cure a lot of things, just not the PR problem with UNT and the metroplex media outlets. One does have to wonder just what it will take? I have to assume there are plenty of UNT grads working for these firms.

My suspicion is that they don't consider winning in the Sun Belt real winning. Don't shoot the messenger...just guessing. I'll bet we have to either move to a more prestigious conference or start winning further into the NCAA tournament before the bigger papers start to give us legit pub, IMHO.

• Upvote 1

All the reasons posted on here for the Morning News ignoring North Texas are B.S. We are a Division 1 university like all the others being followed and are in their own backyard. They have always covered us before and there is no reason for them not to be covering us now. I went to their "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page and sent an email to the sports editor.

Edited by UNTLifer
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

All the reasons posted on here for the Morning News ignoring North Texas as B.S. We are a Division 1 university like all the others being followed and are in their own backyard. They have always covered us before and there is no reason for them not to be covering us now. I went to their "Contact Us" link at the bottom of the page and sent an email to the sports editor.

Copy his response and post it up here.

Here is the link for anyone that would like to read the article and post their thoughts:

http://www.dallasnews.com/sports/college-sports/texas-longhorns/20110120-your-complete-guide-to-college-football_s-national-signing-day.ece

The UNT supporter posts on this page seems to be growing.

All the comments are about UNT.

So glad to know our $80,000,000 football palace on the eve of completion has made such a remarkable impression on the DaMN. :thumbsd:

30 years ago had their been the internet you would have read similar UNT concerns. Its just some things never seem to change, but on the other side of the coin how much coverage does the Denton Record/Chronicle give the other schools on recruiting day?

Still no excuse for a UNT System school with such an important Greater Dallas presence still be treated like a red-headed step child. As JayDub posted, though, at some point we do need to start winning instead of bitching. (I added the "B" word). :rolleyes:

So glad to know our $80,000,000 football palace on the eve of completion has made such a remarkable impression on the DaMN. :thumbsd:

30 years ago had their been the internet you would have read similar UNT concerns. Its just some things never seem to change, but on the other side of the coin how much coverage does the Denton Record/Chronicle give the other schools on recruiting day?

Still no excuse for a UNT System school with such an important Greater Dallas presence still be treated like a red-headed step child. As JayDub posted, though, at some point we do need to start winning instead of bitching. (I added the "B" word). :rolleyes:

4 years of 20+ wins and 2 NCAA berths hasn't bought our basketball program more media visibility. Winning will only get us so far; holding the media's feet to the fire and demanding they cover us will help get more coverage as well.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Brett...heeelllooo.....Can you address this issue with the DaMN? Gotta be a little embarassing for you too huh? Do they treat you like they treat us?? Dodge got a little coverage yesterday (only to be smudged in a comment about SMUt basketball doing so poorly or challenged..or something..don't really care). My guess is they are afraid we may sell a few more season tickets from the Dallas area or something..who knows why other than the obvious why UNT isn't covered.

I see there is now a link to the DRC coverage of UNT recruiting which is better than nothing and hopefully a response to the commments posted by Mean Green Fans in the metro-plex. Winning will take care of some of this (as has been posted earlier)but continuing to hold them accountable is necessary. Good Job UNT fans!!! GMG from Northeast Texas!!!

Guess I was premature on my post listed above. I should've checked the link before commenting. Almost worse than not making any attempt by just linking to the sports page of the DRC and having to look hard to find any recruiting news. As some of the commenters stated its difficult to see where they got the headline " Your Complete guide to college football recruiting's national signing day"? Hard to see what's complete about it.

Edited by gman1022

If you folks want to get the attention of the DMN there are two ways to accomplish your goal. First go through the paper and find out who places ads (Commercial not personal). If you do business with one of the firms that places the ads. Then ask them politely since you do business with them to put in a word with the DMN.

Folks money talks if you lose the ads you do not make a profit as that is the source of income for a newspaper. I am not telling you to request the vendor you deal with to pull their ads. What you do is ask them to register a complaint with the DMN about lack of coverage of UNT in the sports section of the paper.

Since it has been a while since I have lived in the DFW area do not know what other newspaper competes with DMN if any. However, radio and TV do compete.

Also, it was raised in another post about National Signing Day Coverage, if you look at the list it is most of the old SWC universities.

GMG

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Brett Vito: Your Complete Guide to UNT everything

Brett apparently has been busting his butt chasing recruits around and has been posting almost daily updates on the blog. Problem is that stuff gets lost in all the basketball game live blogging stuff. You have to go back through and look for recruiting stuff.

http://meangreenblog.dentonrc.com/

Brett Vito: Your Complete Guide to UNT everything

Brett apparently has been busting his butt chasing recruits around and has been posting almost daily updates on the blog. Problem is that stuff gets lost in all the basketball game live blogging stuff. You have to go back through and look for recruiting stuff.

What exactly are you trying to link to? There are hyperlinks in the heading of each blog entry. Click on that and use that link--otherwise I'm not sure what you're talking about.

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say it has zero to do with fearing we'll sell more season tix and compete for attendance, zero to do with advertising, and zero to do with SMU love. I'm gonna guess it's because they think not many people care much about UNT sports, and that those who do can get all they want from the DRC.

Can they be proven wrong? I dunno.