Micah Thompson

cl_1_2008

Jones' Thompson getting D-I attention

In his three years as a starter, Jones defensive tackle Micah Thompson has continually improved, and so have his college playing prospects.

The 6-5, 297-pounder is being looked at by Division I-A schools Oklahoma State , Tulsa , Texas Christian and Arizona . The senior's size and athleticism put him among the best DTs in the state, not just Class 2A.

Micah Thompson (Jones, DT, Sr.): Looms large for Longhorns. A rival coach described him as "humongous." Logged 48 tackles last year. Has recruiting interest from Tulsa, Oklahoma State, TCU and Arizona. Read more from this Tulsa World article at http://www.tulsaworld.com/sportsextra/highschool/article.aspx?subjectid=227&articleid=20100829_227_HF5_CUTLIN645708

Really like this guy as a McCarney project. Great size. Good athleticism. He won't help us next year as he transitions to D1. He won't be getting blocked by 175 pound offensive guards like he saw in Oklahoma Class 2A. These are the kind of guys we need to get in the system and give McCarney two years to develop.

Highlights...

http://recruiting.scout.com/2/970758.html

Edited by MG Insurance Pro

Why can't he contribute in 2011?

Well, I suppose he could, but he'd have to be the second coming of Joe Greene, or Booger. If, as an earlier poster indicated, he hasn't been playing against Texas 5-A-like competition, then it's going to be a huge adjustment for him. Even Mr. Cantley (who is about the same size...if not bigger) played for Arlington Lamar, a perennial 5-A playoff team. And, so far, his contribution has been pretty minimal.

I'm still holding out hope for him however.

I like his size. I believe this coaching staff will be successful at recruiting and developing defensive talent. Like many of you, I'm still waiting to see if we can pull a few juco defensive linemen. Like I said, I like this kid, but we can't expect him to come in and contribute next season. I hope he does, but it's just not probable.

Yes, should be 5 or 6 as of Saturday, but I don't know any names, and Emeka Okafor was never committed, but it's between us and Houston, whom he is visiting next weekend.

Okafor sure seemed committed when we were the only ones who had offered him. Hope he's not another Ronnell Wright:

http://www.dentonrc.com/sharedcontent/dws/drc/sports/college/stories/DRC_untfootballnotebook_1211.1eb5ab4.html

Yes, should be 5 or 6 as of Saturday, but I don't know any names, and Emeka Okafor was never committed, but it's between us and Houston, whom he is visiting next weekend.

You sure? He was reported as committed by Vito, who confirms with the player prior to posting, and also listed on Rivals, Scout and ESPN as having given his verbal committment.

Even Mr. Cantley (who is about the same size...if not bigger) played for Arlington Lamar, a perennial 5-A playoff team. And, so far, his contribution has been pretty minimal.

Yeah, but look who his D line coach was back then. Now that he will have........Oh wait! Crap!

Never mind.

Rick

Edited by FirefightnRick
  • Upvote 5
  • Downvote 6