How Hard Is It ?

wardly

this is a question, not a statement. with 70 out of 120 teams going to 35 bowls[aprox. 6 in 10 ], how hard should it be for north texas to get a bowl bid on a regular basis?

Though there are 35 bowls, in the past decade only four of them have invited a Sun Belt team: New Orleans, Motor City, GMAC (now GoDaddy) and the defunct Silicon Valley Classic.

Now that we have two bowl affiliations, since the GoDaddy will pit a MAC team against a Belt team, I think we should expect to reach a bowl most years we belong to the Belt. We have the most resources of any team in our conference and a history of success here.

Edited by rcade

Well, we only have 2 shots at a bowl.

The SBC has primary connections with two bowls and secondary affiliations with three more. If we go 7-5, it is almost impossible for us not to end up in some bowl game, some place. 6-6 is "bowl eligible" with an asterisk. A 6-6 team can only go under specific circumstances and can be bumped by a 7-5 team. The BCS conferences have tried to get the NCAA to change the rules so their 6-6 teams can't be bumped, but that hasn't happened.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

The SBC has primary connections with two bowls and secondary affiliations with three more. If we go 7-5, it is almost impossible for us not to end up in some bowl game, some place. 6-6 is "bowl eligible" with an asterisk. A 6-6 team can only go under specific circumstances and can be bumped by a 7-5 team. The BCS conferences have tried to get the NCAA to change the rules so their 6-6 teams can't be bumped, but that hasn't happened.

Yes, it has. It's part of the reason why Temple is sitting at home with an 8-4 record.

Well, we only have 2 shots at a bowl.

its my understanding that we didn't sell out allotment of tickets to new orleans bowl any of the 4 times we went. if so, we need to work on that next bowl opportunity we have.

Really? What was our allotment and what did we sell, because the times I went our side was usually twice the size of the visiting team.

Really? What was our allotment and what did we sell, because the times I went our side was usually twice the size of the visiting team.

especially against colorado state and cincy.so. miss was respectable, and memphis did o.k.but you are right, we were at least twice the vistots side, if not more.i must admit i don't know those numbers. i read this on a post from a journalist who was bashing belt and new orleans bowl.i read so many boards and posts that sometimes i loose track of who and where they are. i probably should have factchecked with our ticket department before posting, but gabe is gone and i don't know anyone in that department who was there 2000 thru 2004 . my bad. i will try to get specifics from athletic department if you want.

this is a question, not a statement. with 70 out of 120 teams going to 35 bowls[aprox. 6 in 10 ], how hard should it be for north texas to get a bowl bid on a regular basis?

I'm not realy sure....ask the UT guys in Austin. They may have an opinion this year. It's pretty hard for them to get a bowl bid this year.

jon burkett followed up with ticket office today for me who said we sold 3400 tickets in 04'. will try to find out what team allotment is.

Thanks wardly. When he follows up, ask if this includes tickets purchased through Ticketmaster. In 2001, for instance, I would guess there were 8,000 to 10,000 NT fans on our side of the field. My tickets were purchased by a friend who bought quite a few tickets through Ticketmaster for a group of us. I would assume that NT didn't get credit for these tickets.