Projected 2011 North Texas Coaching Staff

thecoachingtree

I disagreed vehemently with his handling of the Gilmore situation. There have been several D-line decisions this year that have left me scratching my head, whether made by him or by others. But regardless, I would be shocked if Mike Nelson is not retained by DMac.

I'm afraid he has probably the best shot of staying. If I had to choose just 1 it would probably be Gandy or Chico

I really want Canales to stay here. I really, really do. It'll help the players deal with the adjustment and it'll mean an offensive genius at Assistant HC and a defensive strength at HC. Besides, 2 guys who are balls-to-the-wall enthusiastic at UNT who have a chemistry with each other can be great for us.

No, keeping Canales now would be poison. It would divide the troops. I hope he gets a head coaching job ASAP.

• Upvote 1

coaching profession is based upon buddy system. i would expect coach mac to surround himself with coaches he knows and trusts. also, a new broom sweeps clean. question: does anyone know his start date? i assume florida going to a bowl game. hope he gets his release and can start putting together a staff and recruiting this week.

coaching profession is based upon buddy system. i would expect coach mac to surround himself with coaches he knows and trusts. also, a new broom sweeps clean. question: does anyone know his start date? i assume florida going to a bowl game. hope he gets his release and can start putting together a staff and recruiting this week.

The original word I heard was that he would leave after the FSU game, have the announcement on Tuesday, and begin immediately. Don't know if that is still valid because I don't know if he has signed the contract yet.

Regarding Coach Chico, he didn't impress me nearly as much at OC as he did at interim HC. He added quite a few wrinkles to the offense, and made us about as versatile an offense you will see in the Belt. But our offensive productivity actually went down from what Ford did, and no one seemed satisfied with Ford's results. In 2009 under Ford, we averaged 185 yards rushing, 223 yards passing, and 26.6 points per game. In 2010 under Chico, we averaged 202 yards rushing, 173 yards passing, and 23.9 points per game.