A Pit Complaint

Pen Yan Fan

Isn't it about time that UNT officials found somewhere else for Brett Vito to sit? I am referring to the five or six press rows at center court that usually are not used. This is a prime location that we currently are losing revenue from because we cannot sell seats there. I can't think of another arena anywhere that would give up prime seating like this. It always makes the crowd less imitating and quieter because we have our center court with no fans sitting there.

Move the print press to another location in the arena and put the radio or tv announcers on the floor. Sell these seats and bring in revenue we desperately need to upgrade the image of the Pit.

Edited by Pen Yan Fan
  • Upvote 4

Isn't it about time that UNT officials found somewhere else for Brett Vito to sit? I am referring to the five or six press rows at center court that usually are not used. This is a prime location that we currently are losing revenue from because we cannot sell seats there. I can't think of another arena anywhere that would give up prime seating like this. It always makes the crowd less imitating and quieter because we have our center court with no fans sitting there.

Move the print press to another location in the arena and put the radio or tv announcers on the floor. Sell these seats and bring in revenue we desperately need to upgrade the image of the Pit.

I am sure they will consider it once all the seats around that area and on the opposite side are full on a regular basis.

• Upvote 3

I couldn't agree more. You can't waste prime seats and reduce the atmosphere just to give the media a place to sit.

So very true. A weak point in an otherwise great arena to watch a game.

If I remember right, my first year of going to basketball games (06-07) there was an area in the corner over the home bench where some sponsor had a couch and recliner set on a platform for contest winners to sit on. Anyone know what ever happened to that? It was similar to StarPower's Dream Seats at Mavs games.

There is a picture on meangreensports.com in the Henderson St. photo gallery that shows the problem. The press row across from the benches is empty but you can see the prime seats wasted by the press row.

http://www.meangreensports.com/PhotoAlbum.dbml?SPSID=9108&SPID=564&DB_LANG=C&DB_OEM_ID=1800&PALBID=381961

If you look at the picture of Josh driving you can see our radio announcers and all the empty seats we already have right next to them. At least the way it is now we can blame the empty space on the media, instead of showing off how many good seats are left empty most games.

I agree, that area should definitely be converted. Although I think that the main thing that the Pit needs is a center hung jumbotron. This would make the Pit much more attractive to students and would create a more enjoyable experience for all.

Cant do a jumbotron. Apparently the roof will not support it.

• Downvote 1

So basically, we want to kick out the media so the pictures on the meangreensports.com website can look better? :blink:

Unfortunately, the crowd isn't big enough most nights to really make a difference, but I still think it's a bad idea to not use some of the best seats in the arena (esp. when you have a press row on the other side of the arena). Hopefully, crowds will start growing and we'll be forced to change this.

Unfortunately, the crowd isn't big enough most nights to really make a difference, but I still think it's a bad idea to not use some of the best seats in the arena (esp. when you have a press row on the other side of the arena). Hopefully, crowds will start growing and we'll be forced to change this.

The Pit Crew has some pretty nice seats, those remain half full; Should we maybe get rid of the pit crew? :blink:

So basically, we want to kick out the media so the pictures on the meangreensports.com website can look better? :blink:

I think his point was really more directed towards the amount of premium seating area gets eaten up by the media seating area in the Pit. The proportion is quite out of whack compared to the amount of media that covers the team on a game by game basis. With a quality revamp in the Pit, you could free up that premium seating area for paying fans and relocate the media to another area.