Not Pretty, But It's A Start: Unt 80, Uam 73

MGhoops

Really hope this was a "working out the kinks" game for the Mean Green.

Vito seemed confident that everything will come around for the MG and I think it will, but I believe we have become accustomed to a larger margin of victory in these exhibition, D-II openers: 19-point win last season, 31 edge in 08-09, 37 in 07-08, 21 06-07 and 23 in 05-06.

Obviously every season is different as is the opponents. I just hope that our guys didn't buy into their hype and just expect to roll in this one.

So with that said, maybe this game was a good thing and did what exhibitions are meant to do and show what weaknesses need to be addressed early on.

Plus I am sure a good humbling session is right down the road when UNT heads to Kansas.

Not much you can do to fix the depth issue other than ask guys to step up, fill their roles and produce when they are on the floor.

Overall, gotta be happy to see Shorter score 23 and know that White will get back to form.

It is easy to over-analyze and worry when you have such high expectations. We all expect another 20-win season and trip to "the dance", but so does Johnny Jones and the players.

Hopefully Henderson St. will be a more crisp MG squad and we can put a drumming on Tech Tuesday.

Edited by MGhoops

Dominique and Shorter looked really sharp and engaged. Otherwise, the team looked flat and "going through the motions." Whenever UAM would get close, the Mean Green would ratchet things up a notch and pull away only to look bored again...

Also, I had forgotten how fast Dominique is... wow.. a bullet on the court.

• Upvote 1

It is foolish to put much on an exhibition game, but that doesn't stop me. I am very concerned about the play of NT's bigs. Edwards injured or not did not show anything and Holmen looked like the same player that spend most of the last part of the season on the bench. Knox at least got a few rebounds, but looked slow and lacking confidence. Was Spencer even suited up? Hogans certainly looked a lot better than the others, but he still looks like he would be better coming off the bench. I just cringed when the first thing that both Holmen and Edwards did was shoot a three. NT does not need a post player that can shot 30% on threes, it needs one who can play defense, rebound and score around the basket. I was not surprised but still disappointed that Holmen looks no better than he did last year and the Edwards recruitment still remains a mystery.

The guard play is going to be fine and could be even great. Thompson and White did not show much this game, but we know they will be very good. Shorter's offense was a pleasant surprise, he could be a major factor this year. Williams and Johnson both had very solid games. If it was not for lack of depth at the guard spot, I could see NT going to a 4 guard offense.

NT is going to be a good team this year, but I still lament last years' lack of recruiting. Yes, there are numbers at the post positions; but with WKU and others adding big good inside players; it is asking a lot of Odufuwa to carry NT in the paint. We will obviously know a lot more in a week, but right now this team seems to be missing a big piece.

Edited by GrandGreen

It is foolish to put much on an exhibition game, but that doesn't stop me. I am very concerned about the play of NT's bigs. Edwards injured or not did not show anything and Holmen looked like the same player that spend most of the last part of the season on the bench. Knox at least got a few rebounds, but looked slow and lacking confidence. Was Spencer even suited up? Hogans certainly looked a lot better than the others, but he still looks like he would be better coming off the bench. I just cringed when the first thing that both Holmen and Edwards did was shoot a three. NT does not need a post player that can shot 30% on threes, it needs one who can play defense, rebound and score around the basket. I was not surprised but still disappointed that Holmen looks no better than he did last year and the Edwards recruitment still remains a mystery.

The guard play is going to be fine and could be even great. Thompson and White did not show much this game, but we know they will be very good. Shorter's offense was a pleasant surprise, he could be a major factor this year. Williams and Johnson both had very solid games. If it was not for lack of depth at the guard spot, I could see NT going to a 4 guard offense.

NT is going to be a good team this year, but I still lament last years' lack of recruiting. Yes, there are numbers at the post positions; but with WKU and others adding big good inside players; it is asking a lot of Odufuwa to carry NT in the paint. We will obviously know a lot more in a week, but right now this team seems to be missing a big piece.

Not unless you count the warm up/track suit he was wearing.

• Upvote 1

Glad they won, thought it was closer than it should have been. UAM's zone defense seemed to work, held us to settling for the 3 more often than I would have liked to see. If Shorter doesn't shoot such a high percentage we could have been looking at a different outcome. The zone d's seem to give us fits last year as well. Hope to see them play a lot sharper Friday, which I'm sure they will, as it's their last game before TT...

By-the-way, anybody see who won the pizza in the first half around the 12min mark? That was me (being completely uncomfortable)!

• Upvote 1

Glad they won, thought it was closer than it should have been. UAM's zone defense seemed to work, held us to settling for the 3 more often than I would have liked to see. If Shorter doesn't shoot such a high percentage we could have been looking at a different outcome. The zone d's seem to give us fits last year as well. Hope to see them play a lot sharper Friday, which I'm sure they will, as it's their last game before TT...

By-the-way, anybody see who won the pizza in the first half around the 12min mark? That was me (being completely uncomfortable)!

We saw you win from across the way. I was the loud gal yelling at the stupid ref when he called Josh for the foul when the dude fell on top of him. (Ridiculous!) Congrats! Your kids were cracking me up.

• Upvote 1

That was you getting all those "extra tries" and still not hitting the three? Hey, I am not sure I would have even hit the rim! Glad it was a fellow GMG.com'er giving it a shot...hey, you got the pizza anyway, right? Good job...what's with that way cool hairdo?

Really, your form looked pretty good, but just off to the right! :clapping::thumbsup:

That was you getting all those "extra tries" and still not hitting the three? Hey, I am not sure I would have even hit the rim! Glad it was a fellow GMG.com'er giving it a shot...hey, you got the pizza anyway, right? Good job...what's with that way cool hairdo?

Really, your form looked pretty good, but just off to the right! :clapping::thumbsup:

KRAM, I think he was the guy up in the stands getting a free pizza on the north side of the Pit, not the former football player shooting 3s.

A win is what we are there to do. I'm happy with that. UNT will build on the success. Congrats on the pizza!

KRAM, I think he was the guy up in the stands getting a free pizza on the north side of the Pit, not the former football player shooting 3s.

Oh...missed that...thanks. Did not hear the name of the guy shooting the 3's at half-time. My bad!

Oh...missed that...thanks. Did not hear the name of the guy shooting the 3's at half-time. My bad!

The guy shooting 3's was Robbie Deheck, former linebacker on the football team.

Jimmyjames, congrats on the pizza. Say "hi" if I don't get to you first next time, because that's me two rows in front of you.