The Tuesday Night Elections

I missed all this last night because of a Billy the Exterminator marathon. Did Americas problem's get fixed?

Geez, it was a busy night. Between Billy the Exterminator and Swamp People, I just couldn't force myself to watch election coverage. I assume with all the hoopla that we are out of the recession now? And, I assume Ricky P will appoint better folks to the BOR? Good. We can all breath easier today...except for the dead alligators.

• Upvote 1

Geez, it was a busy night. Between Billy the Exterminator and Swamp People, I just couldn't force myself to watch election coverage. I assume with all the hoopla that we are out of the recession now? And, I assume Ricky P will appoint better folks to the BOR? Good. We can all breath easier today...except for the dead alligators.

Don't forget that poor raccoon that done got its ear bit clean off.

I hate political "discussion" simply because it is filled with the right and left arguing the same tired points. But you brought up a very misguided idea. As a moderate, centrist, middle-of-the-roadian, whatever... I do have positions and stand for something. I lean left sometimes (mainly socially) and right on many others (mostly fiscally). That puts me in the middle, along with most of the public they say. We have positions and principles, they just aren't completely left or right. I don't blindly follow a party over one or two positions, or how my father raised me or because I'm too ignorant not to. Sadly it seems many fall into that trap. You're not completely right/Republican like you think you are. You are lying to yourself if you think that. The ones you disagree with aren't completely left/Democratic either. They are lying to themselves also. See a trend?

I'm not going to sacrifice my views on gay marriage to have tax relief. I'm not going to sacrifice free trade to preserve nature. So, try to respect me. I'm sure I share many views with you and many with the liberals you respect. But please, stop the back-and-forth screw job of America you two parties are locked into.

Finally, why watch Billy and Swamp People when 16 and Pregnant was on for 3 hours?

There are not enough plus 1's in the world to do this post the justice it deserves.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I hate political "discussion" simply because it is filled with the right and left arguing the same tired points. But you brought up a very misguided idea. As a moderate, centrist, middle-of-the-roadian, whatever... I do have positions and stand for something. I lean left sometimes (mainly socially) and right on many others (mostly fiscally). That puts me in the middle, along with most of the public they say. We have positions and principles, they just aren't completely left or right. I don't blindly follow a party over one or two positions, or how my father raised me or because I'm too ignorant not to. Sadly it seems many fall into that trap. You're not completely right/Republican like you think you are. You are lying to yourself if you think that. The ones you disagree with aren't completely left/Democratic either. They are lying to themselves also. See a trend?

I'm not going to sacrifice my views on gay marriage to have tax relief. I'm not going to sacrifice free trade to preserve nature. So, try to respect me. I'm sure I share many views with you and many with the liberals you respect. But please, stop the back-and-forth screw job of America you two parties are locked into.

Finally, why watch Billy and Swamp People when 16 and Pregnant was on for 3 hours?

Good post. You sound like a Libertarian.

Very very well said.

I also think most of you are missing the most important thing to take place yesterday.

The McRib is back!

Edited by HoustonEagle

This. You don't sound too moderate on any position, 5&dime.

Thought it would be fun/painful/embarassing to look back on the last election:

2008 Presidential election

I can assure you I am not Libertarian. I like to think I am not kooky enough for them. My point was simply that I am not left nor right. Average me out, I am in the center. You have a point about not being able to be moderate on a particular position, but you have to look at the big picture. No political party appeals to me. They've become way too one sided just to spite the other. It is destructive. Last night's results give me hope that nothing will be accomplished for the next two years. Good or bad. But at least the chances of my government pointlessly invading countries or "reforming" healthcare will be at a minimum.

Thanks for giving me tired head with the '08 link.

I can assure you I am not Libertarian. I like to think I am not kooky enough for them. My point was simply that I am not left nor right. Average me out, I am in the center. You have a point about not being able to be moderate on a particular position, but you have to look at the big picture. No political party appeals to me. They've become way too one sided just to spite the other. It is destructive. Last night's results give me hope that nothing will be accomplished for the next two years. Good or bad. But at least the chances of my government pointlessly invading countries or "reforming" healthcare will be at a minimum.

Thanks for giving me tired head with the '08 link.

Can't be too much tired head, causes you read them and responded.;)

Libertarians aren't kooky, they are just painted that way by the republicans, democrats, and their minions in the news media to keep people like you away from a 3rd party (much like the vilification of the tea party before anyone even took the time to find out what they were about). Libertarians are socially liberal but physically conservative.

Kooks are in all parties, they are just highlighted and stereotyped in 3rd parties in order to maintain the status quo.

I'm not republican, I'm conservative. There has been a big difference for the past 10 years.I agree with you about government doing nothjing, expect repealing health care and extending tax cuts.

Libertarians aren't kooky, they are just painted that way by the republicans, democrats, and their minions in the news media to keep people like you away from a 3rd party (much like the vilification of the tea party before anyone even took the time to find out what they were about). Libertarians are socially liberal but physically conservative.

Kooks are in all parties, they are just highlighted and stereotyped in 3rd parties in order to maintain the status quo.

I'm not republican, I'm conservative. There has been a big difference for the past 10 years.I agree with you about government doing nothjing, expect repealing health care and extending tax cuts.

What does that mean? No boob jobs and modest dressing? Sounds like no fun to me!

You meant fiscally conservative, right? :unsure:

nothing will ever change in american politics until we get rid of the two party bullshiat and actually focus on bettering the usa. we have congressman that campaign for their job while still getting paid by taxpayers to do a job. this will probably never stop. politics suck and we are just as screwed as we always are...it's almost a waste of time to vote.

What does that mean? No boob jobs and modest dressing? Sounds like no fun to me!

:blink:

Hahahaha... Yes, I was very tired last night. I'm not even gonna change it, because it is just too funny.

I guess physically conservative would be saving your physicality for rhe really good looking women (or one woman, for you married folk), and not just spreading it around to any takers that are out there.

Or, maybe it means you are really lazy and never work out.

nothing will ever change in american politics until we get rid of the two party bullshiat and actually focus on bettering the usa. we have congressman that campaign for their job while still getting paid by taxpayers to do a job. this will probably never stop. politics suck and we are just as screwed as we always are...it's almost a waste of time to vote.

Good, I really hope nothing changes! Politics is what it is... ugly, tiresome, frustrating. But it's still the best system in the world.

And I like the two party system. Better than Europe where you have 8 different parties who can't form a majority or a consistent policy.

I'm not being kept from a third party. I've actually contributed to the Greens in the past and have supported Nader in his recent runs. While a little crazy himself, the man has a proven record of change, doing the right thing and is usually correct when warning us about the impact of what the government is doing. He is the prime example of being painted the wrong way.

What big social spending programs have the Republicans eliminated once they are in control since FDR and LBJ? I can not even count it on one finger. The Republicans are just as much at fault as the Democrats for expanding the size of government. Once the Republicans are committed to reducing the size of government....or even the Democrats....then I might decide to vote for that "mainstream" party again. Until then, I vote at every election but I vote for "third party" candidates. I vote third party because I want the mainstream parties to know that I do not support them making government bigger and using my wallet as their personal ATM machine.

At one time I truely believed in the two party system but now I am entrenched in the belief that every two, four and six years both mainsteam parties fight to see who is going to be the engineer of the one train that is sapping my financial strength and forcefully placing more American citizens on the federal welfare rolls.

America's political corruption has become the strength of our enemies.

The moderate way is the only way we should view government.

The libertarians I have known have been former fiscally conservative/socially liberal republicans who can't tell their friends that they would actually agree with someone who is not a republican (ie. dem) and/or can't stomach the vitriol from far right wing mouth breathersteabaggers nuts. maybe there are libertarians who were never republicans; I haven't seen them... just sayin

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

What big social spending programs have the Republicans eliminated once they are in control since FDR and LBJ? I can not even count it on one finger. The Republicans are just as much at fault as the Democrats for expanding the size of government. Once the Republicans are committed to reducing the size of government....or even the Democrats....then I might decide to vote for that "mainstream" party again. Until then, I vote at every election but I vote for "third party" candidates. I vote third party because I want the mainstream parties to know that I do not support them making government bigger and using my wallet as their personal ATM machine.

At one time I truely believed in the two party system but now I am entrenched in the belief that every two, four and six years both mainsteam parties fight to see who is going to be the engineer of the one train that is sapping my financial strength and forcefully placing more American citizens on the federal welfare rolls.

Why not instead show support when Republicans do want to cut a program? When they wanted to cut welfare and food stamps when Clinton was in office, they were portrayed as hateful rich white guys who wanted to starve children and kick small puppies. Did you call a Senator who was on the fence on Health Care reform last year and tell them you didn't want it? Did you call your Senators (Hutchison and Cornyn) to tell them that you supported their vote?

Good government needs participation from the electorate. And that does not mean throwing away votes on candidates who can't win just to make a point that is lost on everyone.

It's a shame you don't understand or are lost by third party candidates Flyer (and others on this thread). Furthermore, I can't fathom how voting for someone you believe and trust in is not participating simply because they won't win. They won't win because of the prevailing ignorance that your thought is based off.

Euless, the best I could do was get you back to even. Someone with a heart get him into green for me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

It's a shame you don't understand or are lost by third party candidates Flyer (and others on this thread). Furthermore, I can't fathom how voting for someone you believe and trust in is not participating simply because they won't win. They won't win because of the prevailing ignorance that your thought is based off.

Euless, the best I could do was get you back to even. Someone with a heart get him into green for me.

No. He said he votes third party to let the other parties know he doesn't support what they're doing. That is no way to select leaders. If you vote third party out of a belief in that candidate, then that's fine. To vote third party simply because you don't like the two major party candidates is a waste of a vote and a waste of time. Might as well vote for "None of the Above."

And if you recall from history, the Republican Party began as a third party. The problem with third parties today is that they seem to always, ALWAYS nominate some kook weirdo as their candidate. Ross Perot, Ron Paul, Ralph Nader, Strom Thurmon... They always nominate completely unelectable candidates.

Edited by UNTflyer
  • Upvote 1