If Leach Wont Come,

Ole Green Guts

I do like the Jim leavitt idea, coach Fran would work as well, but wuold Leavitt sign here for $500K

I like Leavitt, too. I'd be thrilled if we got him. I don't understand people who want Leavitt while questioning Franchione's character, though.

Leavitt hit a kid, lied about it, pressured coaches and players to change their stories, obstructed a university investigation... Still contends he didn't do anything wrong.

People deserve a second chance, I'd be ecstatic if he were coaching here next year. But anyone who has character concerns about Franchione should take a long hard look at what got Leavitt fired.

I do like the Jim leavitt idea, coach Fran would work as well, but wuold Leavitt sign here for $500K

Doubt he would come here for 500K. He would listen if we started at about 750K and I think we would have a good shot at bringing him in here if we approached the vicinity of about 1 million. His salary at USF was 1.5 milion a season. Even at 1 million it may be a bit of a long shot but at least he and his agent wouldn't hang up the phone at RV if they discussed figures something similar to those.

I like Leavitt, too. I'd be thrilled if we got him. I don't understand people who want Leavitt while questioning Franchione's character, though.

Leavitt hit a kid, lied about it, pressured coaches and players to change their stories, obstructed a university investigation... Still contends he didn't do anything wrong.

People deserve a second chance, I'd be ecstatic if he were coaching here next year. But anyone who has character concerns about Franchione should take a long hard look at what got Leavitt fired.

Totally agree.

Leavitt coming here almost certainly means Canales being retained.

For me:

1. Dodge wins out, including the Papa Johns (or whatever other) bowl.

2. Dennis Franchione (hopefully would lure his son up from Blinn as well)

2a. Jim Leavitt

After that, there's a large drop-off to the next rung of coaches.

Totally agree.

Leavitt coming here almost certainly means Canales being retained.

For me:

1. Dodge wins out, including the Papa Johns (or whatever other) bowl.

2. Dennis Franchione (hopefully would lure his son up from Blinn as well)

2a. Jim Leavitt

After that, there's a large drop-off to the next rung of coaches.

I think Terry and Tommy Bowden would definitely be on that list of guys who I would love to have here and wouldn't be a drop off.

The emails that got him in trouble are all available on the Dallas Morning news website. Can't find them at the moment, but I saw them up there a few weeks back.

Basically, he sent out a newsletter to a bunch of boosters as a stroke job that kept them feeling informed. Mentioned some things he shouldn't have, but a lot of the rumors and scoldings were unjustified. I don't think the guy was in it for the money, considering the letter didn't even cover his website expenses and grossed less than $40k (compared to a $2 million+ salary).

A&M wanted him out because he wasn't doing as well as fast against the Big 12 south (during a period when Texas and OU were annual National Championship contenders/winners) as they thought he ought to.

Agree. And there's no way $ Bill didn't know of and at least tacitly have no problem with the "secret newsletter". That whole escapade was just a way to get Francakes out of CS quickly. I'm sure the guy is pretty bitter about how it worked out.

One of the best coaching moves he made was to turn the Ags into a triple option team in the span of a week, with McGee against TEXAS in 2005 and 2006, and then turned McGee loose through the air against them in 2007. Masterful games plans with teams that were outmanned. That's coaching.

Here's what $ Bill said right before Fran left:

"We are now convinced that he did not intentionally, knowingly, or directly participate in actions that were inappropriate or in violations of rules or policies," Byrne said. "We do believe that coach Franchione was guilty of inadequate supervision and oversight."

This is the coach we need---If we can get him----Have heard he is a great coach and person---

except for the part about hitting a player, lying about it, and trying to get others to cover up for him. maybe we could get him as h.c. and leach as o.c. we might not win many games, but our coaches wouldn't take crapp from any of the players. where is woody hayes when we need him?

Here's a breakdown from Wikipedia. The emails that got him in trouble are all available on the Dallas Morning news website. Can't find them at the moment, but I saw them up there a few weeks back.

Basically, he sent out a newsletter to a bunch of boosters as a stroke job that kept them feeling informed. Mentioned some things he shouldn't have, but a lot of the rumors and scoldings were unjustified. I don't think the guy was in it for the money, considering the letter didn't even cover his website expenses and grossed less than $40k (compared to a $2 million+ salary).

A&M wanted him out because he wasn't doing as well as fast against the Big 12 south (during a period when Texas and OU were annual National Championship contenders/winners) as they thought he ought to. But Franchione went 2-3 against TEXAS during a period when the rest of their opponents went a combined 51-8 against them. Finished with an overall winning record there, won in his second year, led them to their best single season win total since 1998 (and more than they've gotten in any year since).

8 jobs, 6 first year winning seasons. 2 second year winning seasons. He's never gone anywhere that he didn't win with whatever the previous coach left him.

Alabama- He took over a 3 win team, got 7 in his first year and 10 in his second.

TCU- Took a 1-10 team, got 7 in his first year. 8 in his second. 10 in his third.

New Mexico- Took over a team that hadn't had more than 4 wins (and only reached that peak twice) in a decade. Second year, winning record. In his final year there, 1997, he got 9 wins, the 2nd highest total in school history and the most they've seen since he left.

If we can do better, great. But in my opinion, there isn't a much better fit out there for what we need and what he can do.

I wouldn't worry about buyouts with him or anyone else in that league. When someone comes in and turns around a program, their success functions as a built-in buyout. The job is infinitely more appealing to worthy candidates when they're taking over a winning bowl team than when they have to come in and turn around a program like the one we've got now.

If it came down to a big buyout vs. getting him (or any similar coach) at a salary we could afford... I'd say give a lot on the buyout price tag in order to secure a lower annual salary.

Thanks for that research, TTG.

If we got Coach Fran, Rick V should have a $5,000,000 buyout Frans first 5 years in Denton then it would descend dramatically after Year 5. NOTE: The schools who would most likely want him $5 million would be mere pocket change.

UNT will need 5 years of success and good recruiting from such a name coach to leave it in good hands for the next a la Boise State with their coaches turnover merry go round of the last 10 plus years yet amazingly continued success thru all those turnovers.

GMG!

Question: Didn't Coach Fran have written in his Alabama contract that TAMU would be 1 of 2 schools that could talk to him? The 2'nd I cannot recall.

Thought: What would be funny if word got out that UNT was interested in Coach Fran (if we actually were) how that might stimulate 1 or 2 BCS Big Boys to inquire, too. Then.....UNT would be the best thing that ever happened to Coach Fran even if we didn't get to hire him. (Just more aimless speculation on a board known for much of the same).

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

Does anyone know any reason against either Terry or Tommy Bowden that would be considered across some line for us? I think I heard about some things concerning Terry and some affair, but it seems like that could have blown over after all those years. Or was it really a disappointing season that all the other stuff just came along to make a convenient excuse for certain alums to move him out?

Edited by eulessismore

Carthel has WT A&M ranked #7 in the D-II rankings.

Or, maybe this guy, who has Abilene Christian ranked #4.

http://www.acusports.com/staff.aspx?staff=43

Or, how about the coach of the only team to beat Don Carthels team this year.

http://www.gvsulakers.com/sports/m-footbl/mtt/mitchell_matt00.html

Carthel is a very good coach,excellent recruiter, finds hidden gems everywhere . Recruiting at the DI level is a different world however. Some of the players at the DII level would not qualify DI. He uses quite a few transfers from DI programs they do not have to sit out a year as they would in DI ( or at least at UNT,it seems they don't have to at other DI schools ).Of course I would hate for Don to leave WT.

Carthel is a very good coach,excellent recruiter, finds hidden gems everywhere . Recruiting at the DI level is a different world however. Some of the players at the DII level would not qualify DI. He uses quite a few transfers from DI programs they do not have to sit out a year as they would in DI ( or at least at UNT,it seems they don't have to at other DI schools ).Of course I would hate for Don to leave WT.

I would really like to see NT give him a shot if our coaching position comes open, but I also get the feeling that he is tied to that area of the state and doesn't really care to move up the coaching ladder.

I would take carthel or leavitt, fran I just dont know about.

I don't know about any of the 3 for our job to be honest. Its just that Coach Fran gives UNT the "impact" name that we have not had for quite a long time. Fran would need much research. He tends to not stay long anywhere I think we'd all agree. Maybe if he signed a 5 year contract signed in blood? :rolleyes: Fact is, he may not even be interested in our job or even getting back in football but one phone call from Rick V would find that out.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

I've never really liked him or followed any of his teams... He just seems like an ideal fit for what we need right now and what we can reasonably bring in.

I do remember reading a feature article on Coach Fran in the FW Star Telegram years ago about one (or both?) of his parents committing suicide so he has hardly had a bed of roses in other areas of his life.

I would still wonder if either UNT or Coach Fran are even interested in each other, but the impact would be tremendous because you don't have to take the next 2 or 3 years introducing recruits to him. They just don't keep up with the same stuff we do on collegiate message boards--they merely want to have a chance to play.

FRAN'tic TIME: UNT would have to have at least a 4 or 5 year stay by him for it to work IMHO. He would need to come into Denton saying things like "we want to be like Boise or TCU and aim for a BCS bowl and we now have a stadium to recruit toward to make it happen." Of course, all that would also mean dominating the SBC and becoming a Top 25 football program.

Whether anyone back in the day believed Fry or not, he still got UNT much statewide attention by trying to get North Texas Southwest Conference consideration and supposedly had Darrell Royal behind this happening, but we all know who would not have wanted it to happen and that would have been about 4 SWC schools of that era.

Money, money, money thats-a what I want! :blink: A very high buyout clause would still be necessary with a coach like Franchione because if he had immediate success some in the BCS would come a-callin' albeit few or none of them would probably hire him now. How 'bout $5 million buyout if he left before Year 4 or Year 5? Not a bad consalation prize for UNT, eh? :)

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen
  • Upvote 1

I don't know about any of the 3 for our job to be honest. Its just that Coach Fran gives UNT the "impact" name that we have not had for quite a long time. Fran would need much research. He tends to not stay long anywhere I think we'd all agree. Maybe if he signed a 5 year contract signed in blood? :rolleyes: Fact is, he may not even be interested in our job or even getting back in football but one phone call from Rick V would find that out.

GMG!

Fran had trouble recruiting at A&M, do you really think he could recruit at UNT ?