Riley Observation

MeanGreenTexan

Is it me, or does Riley seem to be a loner on the sideline?

I'm not in the locker room, so I don't know if Riley is just not a locker-room favorite or if he just prefers to keep to himself, but after every TD (passing or rushing) he appeared to celebrate with 1 or 2 guys, then go to the sideline and be by himself. It just seems strange to me that when he gets to the sideline, he's not swarmed by teammates high-five'ing and such. Yet, he always goes over to whoever he hands off/passes to in order to congratulate them. Did anyone else notice that?

Not to get all conspiracy-theorist or anything, but I kinda wonder if the nepotism thought has crept into the locker-room, and Riley is not liked? Surely this is not the case right? Maybe I'm way off and you guys see something different?

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 4

I agree.. The team doesn't see him as a leader. This team was a totally different team under the leadership of Nathan Tune. Tune is a disciplined athlete that makes everyone around him play to their potential.

Also, I believe this team has lost faith in Todge and I'm sure they are taking it out on Rodge now. This team probably feels like they aren't going to be able to get it done underneath this coach. Would anyone after you work hard day in/day out and only have 3 wins in 4 years??

Edited by MeanGreen01
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 10

Is it me, or does Riley seem to be a loner on the sideline?

I'm not in the locker room, so I don't know if Riley is just not a locker-room favorite or if he just prefers to keep to himself, but after every TD (passing or rushing) he appeared to celebrate with 1 or 2 guys, then go to the sideline and be by himself. It just seems strange to me that when he gets to the sideline, he's not swarmed by teammates high-five'ing and such. Yet, he always goes over to whoever he hands off/passes to in order to congratulate them. Did anyone else notice that?

Not to get all conspiracy-theorist or anything, but I kinda wonder if the nepotism thought has crept into the locker-room, and Riley is not liked? Surely this is not the case right? Maybe I'm way off and you guys see something different?

I agree.. The team doesn't see him as a leader. This team was a totally different team under the leadership of Nathan Tune. Tune is a disciplined athlete that makes everyone around him play to their potential.

Also, I believe this team has lost faith in Todge and I'm sure they are taking it out on Rodge now. This team probably feels like they aren't going to be able to get it done underneath this coach. Would anyone after you work hard day in/day out and only have 3 wins in 4 years??

simply hilarious.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

simply hilarious.

I guess you feel the team thinks of him as their leader. Well how many times do you see a QB score a TD and only 2 players go over and congratulate him.

When a QB scores a TD, especially a running TD, at least the entire line comes into the endzone to celebrate with him. Just think about it and you probably won't think it's hilarious any more, but instead, might even think it's pretty dang scary.

• Downvote 4

I guess you feel the team thinks of him as their leader. Well how many times do you see a QB score a TD and only 2 players go over and congratulate him.

When a QB scores a TD, especially a running TD, at least the entire line comes into the endzone to celebrate with him. Just think about it and you probably won't think it's hilarious any more, but instead, might even think it's pretty dang scary.

When the team is 1-3, overcoming the death of a teammate, and already losing the game?

I think in that very rare situation, it would be pretty damn common.

You wanted them to pop the champagne and do the fish celebration?

Or do they act like they have been there before, saddle up and go do it again?

OOOOOOHHHH! You want an excessive organized celebration. Maybe they should have called a timeout to chastize the players for not rallying around the player that just scored. That is what a leader would have done.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I hate to play the realist card..but that celebration norm existed well before this weeks tragic news

Thanks for playing the fake realist card.

The real realist card is that tonight was the first time you have seen him score a TD all year.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Thanks for playing the fake realist card.

The real realist card is that tonight was the first time you have seen him score a TD all year.

SteaminWillieBeamin, looks like you might be the one drinking tonight. He wasn't saying Rodge did score earlier this year.

If you recall, we were talking about QB's scoring and how most teams will congratulate them on scoring. Scoring and listening to what people are saying are obviously something you have never done in your life!

SteaminWillieBeamin, looks like you might be the one drinking tonight. He wasn't saying Rodge did score earlier this year.

If you recall, we were talking about QB's scoring and how most teams will congratulate them on scoring. Scoring and listening to what people are saying are obviously something you have never done in your life!

BOOM! Roasted!

Wait. You were talking to me? I didn't get that the first five times reading the text.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin

Is it just me, or do our players not thank they water boys and girls enough? I mean, during a time out, couldn't they at least give them a hug in name of World Peace and all the other great causes out there after they get their water. I think there needs to be more warm fuzzies like this in football.

Edited by Green Dozer

Is it just me, or do our players not thank they water boys and girls enough? I mean, during a time out, couldn't they at least give them a hug in name of World Peace and all the other great causes out there after they get their water. I think there needs to be more warm fuzzies like this in football.

In honor of one of our greatest maybe as players are limping off the field they could just toss their jerseys to members of the Junior Mean Green Club...

Something like that...??

I'll tell you what:

go do some investigative studying with the team, perhaps interview them candidly -- throw in a few surveys to be sure. THEN, do the same for other schools, adjusting for differences in personalities and mitigating factors such as varying cultural norms across different regions and then come post your findings. Show me some hard evidence that says 'with 95% certainty they hate Rodge so that is why they didn't sprint over and smack him on the ass'

But right now you sound dumb.

And even if they don't like the dude? Well, are you suggesting that was why we had two blocked kicks that ultimately lost us the game?

I hope all of you guys are right and I'm crazy! I'm just bringing up what I saw last night. That's all.

You can't tell me I didn't see it happen. Of course, I didn't keep my eyes on him all night, so I don't know what was going on afterwards. Maybe he just likes to be left alone? Maybe he was in a hurry to get to the phone so he could chat w/coach Canales about the drive, then afterwards hammed it up with the guys... I dunno.

I've been a Riley backer ever since he's been here. I keep bringing up the fact that his ability makes Lance better too. No doubt his play last night was fantastic.

And to be honest, another observation I had was an overthrown shot at the end zone from our 35 yard line in the 3rd quarter. Riley threw it out of Darius' reach. Maybe his arm isn't sapped after all? Maybe we can start going for more down-field shots with Riley?

Riley made some plays last night that very few QB's in this league can. I know he's had his share of turnovers in the past with the way he carries the ball. And he doesn't have the deep ball threat. But overall, his skill and ability to buy himself time, rush to the open area and take advantage of misdirection, and most amazingly, throw the ball and get it into an open receivers' hands while on the run is incredible to me.

Think it's easy? Go outside and try throwing a football to a target 10 yards away while on a full dead sprint to the opposite side of your throwing arm and see how stupid you feel because your so off the target?

We are lucky to have him.

Rick

• Upvote 2

Riley made some plays last night that very few QB's in this league can. I know he's had his share of turnovers in the past with the way he carries the ball. And he doesn't have the deep ball threat. But overall, his skill and ability to buy himself time, rush to the open area and take advantage of misdirection, and most amazingly, throw the ball and get it into an open receivers' hands while on the run is incredible to me.

Think it's easy? Go outside and try throwing a football to a target 10 yards away while on a full dead sprint to the opposite side of your throwing arm and see how stupid you feel because your so off the target?

We are lucky to have him.

Rick

I always thought that throwing on the run was one of Riley's best talents. It also seems that he throws on the run while running for his life. Since Riley has difficulty seeing the field while in the pocket, I don't understand why the roll out pass is not his mainstay. Perhaps he could then throw to a tight end.