Has Sun Belt Soccer Gotten Better?

untbowler

Soccer loses 1-0

Are just young or has the Belt become more balanced, than just Denver and UNT.

I think NT is probably about the same, but much of the conference has caught up. Not a good thing, particularly when you consider that NT has improved it's soccer facility. If you look at the Belt teams now, many are recruiting the same club teams as NT. Others such as MTSU have used foreigners to close the gap. I think NT used to get just about have their pick of second level metroplex players and they have a lot of competition now.

The soccer program has traditionally been the strongest sport at NT, but the trend is not good. This year's team is very young and has good potential, they have played tough; but they have not yet been able to beat good teams.

We lost to WKU as well last year. They are a good team, but like last year, and just like with basketball, the Sun Belt seems to always make us play them on the road. It is not an easy road trip to make (WKU and MTSU), so I think it is WAY too early to jump to conclusions. This team has showed they can play with some great teams, and are probably better than the #4 pick the Sun Belt Coaches gave them.

I'll reiterate that it is much too early to panic. WKU was picked third in the preseason, we were picked fourth, and the team we lost to today, MTSU, was picked fifth. We have a young team with lots of upside, and I am very confident that if we had played these games at home we would have won both. In almost any sun belt sport, the MTSU, WKU road trip is grueling, not just because of the distance, but because they have good teams. UNT really should take both games this coming weekend, and start their way back up the SBC standings.