@ Ut Aug 30,2014

NT03

uT just finalized their OOC schedules overall for several years but our game with them in 2014 was already scheduled:

http://www.fbschedules.com/ncaa/sun-belt/north-texas-mean-green.php

UNT Future Non-Conference Opponents (2013 +)

08/31/2013 at Georgia

2013 Army

2013 Ball State

2013 at Ohio

08/30/2014 at Texas

09/06/2014 SMU

2014 at Army

2014 at Tulsa

09/12/2015 at SMU

2015 at Iowa

2015 Tulsa

09/03/2016 SMU

2016 at Army

2016 at Florida

2017 Army

2017 at Iowa

2017 at SMU

2018 at Army

2018 at Arkansas

2018 SMU

TBA at Tennessee

• Upvote 1

Hayden loves UNT, he really does, he left disgusted with the ways things were handle as far as not being able to be in a bowl game or move to a better conference.

He always viewed UNT, like I always do, just so much potential.

Cant even begin to imagine how pissed he must be right now.

I'm not saying he doesn't care about UNT or it doesn't have a special place in his heart. But his allegiance is and will always favor Iowa without any question.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I'm not saying he doesn't care about UNT or it doesn't have a special place in his heart. But his allegiance is and will always favor Iowa without any question.

Your original post said TOTAL allegiance. He does like the University of North Texas and has been back a number of times. His sons all played here.

Your original post said TOTAL allegiance. He does like the University of North Texas and has been back a number of times. His sons all played here.

As I said earlier, I am not saying he dismisses us as a university. However if he's doing the coin toss for the Iowa/NT game in Iowa City then you are crazy if you think his allegiance is anything but in Iowa. And again I don't see any big deal in this.

As I said earlier, I am not saying he dismisses us as a university. However if he's doing the coin toss for the Iowa/NT game in Iowa City then you are crazy if you think his allegiance is anything but in Iowa. And again I don't see any big deal in this.

I think Fry still has great feelings for NT, in fact he has said so. NT may have saved his coaching career by giving him another chance after Smut. Fry in turn showed NT what it could become, but it fell on deaf ears with our admins back then. <_<

I'm not a fan of the Texas game. The rest of the schedule is good, though. Many winnable games and a break from the OU/Texas/LSU games.

It'll be good to get some Big Ten games, as well as some different SEC games. Love the Florida match up! Kudos to RV for getting us winnable games and good travel games. Excellent work!

Totally agree with TFLF. We can't win playing UT in Austin even when we win.

I am opposed to playing Texas or Oklahoma because not only are we not competitive with their talent or resources, but the negative perceptions associated with losing to them amongst Texas citizens get reinforced as to just how much better they are than us, even academically, which is not always true.

If it were me, I would schedule my bodybag games each year with the Iowas of the world in the future. I know that we have them schedueld twice going forward, but I wouldn't play the top schools in the Big XII or the SEC for my cash anymore. With demographics as they are, the South has much more in its favor going forward than the Rust Belt, and I think that plays more in favor of at least having a decent game with them. We at least have a chance with our talent to match up more favorably against Big Ten or Big East teams. Seriously, we should not play Texas, OU, LSU, Florida, or Georgia for cash when Wisconsin, Iowa, Purdue or Michigan can pay out a lot of money to play them, too. I have always thought that going to the Big Ten to play cash games at least gives you a 1-2% chance of winning against their big boys, which isn't even counting the percentages of playing a close game that can help with your recruiting and image. Last year, Arkansas State come within an eyelash of beating Iowa, who went to the Orange Bowl. I guarantee that game gave their fanbase more pride and $upport than their butt-whipping at the hands of Auburn this year. Playing those other top SEC and Big XII teams have paid a lot of bills for our AD, but I haven't seen much good that has come with getting beat badly by those schools over the last 15 years. I would take my chances in a game at Wisconsin or Michigan at least being competitive versus the odds of getting pillaged when we go to Baton Rouge, Austin, or Norman.

• Upvote 1

I've always said build it like Kansas State. I love RV's new scheduling. The only minor tweak I'd give is to play the lower rung BCS schools instead of the higher rung ones - and, RV has done that with Indiana.

You've got to admit where you are and know where you want to go. You can't do that at a school like ours with more than one bodybag game per year.

There may come a day when those aren't bodybag games, but you can't live in the future until you get to the future.

(1) Keep scheduling as RV has done recently, dropping off what remains of bodybaggers and replace them with Baylors, Indianas, Dukes, Louisvilles, etc. - BCS schools that sometimes win, but are not perennials winners.

(2) Recruit the overlooked in small states that raid Texas. We've done this in the past with Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri under Dickey, and do so now in Louisiana and Mississippi with Shelton Gandy. I know our budget is tight, but I'd try to hit every state that borders Texas - New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Lousiana - with fervent regularity. It'd be nice to become the Nebraska or Oklahoma of the non-BCS schools. That is, building rosters that comprise kids from all over the country.

(3) Marketing the f-ing Sam Hill blazes out of Denton County - every city! Invite their high school bands/drill teams to play/perform during halftime of our games...after our band of course...or, before. Get them to play games in our new stadium. Whatever. Make reasons for high schoolers and their parents, relatives, and friends to be at our campus.

(4) Train carrier pigeons to carry messages to people with good tidings of all things North Texas.

• Upvote 2

I've always said build it like Kansas State. I love RV's new scheduling. The only minor tweak I'd give is to play the lower rung BCS schools instead of the higher rung ones - and, RV has done that with Indiana.

You've got to admit where you are and know where you want to go. You can't do that at a school like ours with more than one bodybag game per year.

There may come a day when those aren't bodybag games, but you can't live in the future until you get to the future.

(1) Keep scheduling as RV has done recently, dropping off what remains of bodybaggers and replace them with Baylors, Indianas, Dukes, Louisvilles, etc. - BCS schools that sometimes win, but are not perennials winners.

(2) Recruit the overlooked in small states that raid Texas. We've done this in the past with Oklahoma, Kansas, and Missouri under Dickey, and do so now in Louisiana and Mississippi with Shelton Gandy. I know our budget is tight, but I'd try to hit every state that borders Texas - New Mexico, Colorado, Oklahoma, Arkansas, and Lousiana - with fervent regularity. It'd be nice to become the Nebraska or Oklahoma of the non-BCS schools. That is, building rosters that comprise kids from all over the country.

(3) Marketing the f-ing Sam Hill blazes out of Denton County - every city! Invite their high school bands/drill teams to play/perform during halftime of our games...after our band of course...or, before. Get them to play games in our new stadium. Whatever. Make reasons for high schoolers and their parents, relatives, and friends to be at our campus.

(4) Train carrier pigeons to carry messages to people with good tidings of all things North Texas.

I sort of agree about K-State, except that they had a major built-in advantage on us. Since they were in the old Big Eight when Snyder took over, he knew that he would have home games against big name schools that the students and alumni would be attracted to already. So by knowing that either Nebraska or Oklahoma was coming to town, along with either Kansas and Colorado, every year, KSU knew that they had at least two games each year that would bring people to the stadium. Add in Oklahoma State, Mizzou or Iowa state each year and you had three or four reasonable games to draw season ticket buyers in with games that were less than stellar for the other three. He knew that there was no reason to schedule money games or big name OOC competition because they already had the $$$ from being int he Big 8. He knew that what KSU didn't have was enough fan support, which meant that the facilities were below par. Voila, a schedule of North Texas, Northern Illinois, and New Mexico State became the norm, and as they won, the Cat Backers started showing up for ANYONE on the schedule. And the pollsters started ranking them as the wins followed and the climb up the Big 8 became obvious.

This is where being the step-child of Texas universities (athletically) really has hurt over the years. We don't have the scheduling advantages or financial advantages of being in a conference with other well-known and supported programs the way K-State did. In the old SWC, the old guard extended their hand to Tech and UH, but not us. Hell, even UTEP has been extended a welcome hand by the other Texas schools with their inclusion in CUSA. But not us--I realize that most of that is on our own administration, but it has always been made clear that the other Texas schools aren't too interested in being in a conference with us, so we have had to find our own way. I completely believe that if UNT pulled off a K-State type miracle turnaround, there are many people who would say something like, "Well, they should be able to do that, they are in Texas and have all that talent to recruit from." Those who would say that are completely ignorant of just how little respect we have in this state, from the media to fan support to conference affiliation.

Trust me, Barry Switzer was dead on when he said that Bill Snyder should have been named "Coach of the Century" for what he pulled off in Manhattan, KS. But K-State had some things in place already that we could only dream of here in Denton. And its why I feel that there is the very real possibility that we won't ever have a program that will reach the level of where Fry's teams did back in the 70s.

• Upvote 1