Attendance

Side Show Joe

Logic tells me we have lost too many parts of our team to have a successful season. As much as I hope this team pulls out a win in Boca, I just can't see it happening. Everyone that pays attention to the attendance of FBS football programs is rightfully expecting our attendance to take a nose dive after our run of bad luck, and the season that will probably result in part from it. I hope we will continue to show up in respectable numbers for the games. Along with the new stadium, our support for this program, even in such lean years, has been our greatest gain in the last five years. I don't want the program to lose that support. I hope RV will send a message to the fan base that will calm the mood a little, and unite us. I don't know what that might be. I'll let you guys speculate on that.

Before the Army game many of us stated that our team needed a spark. We didn't get one. Now the entire Mean Green Nation needs a spark. I hope we get one. If we don't, I'm sure some within our fan base will be "going to the mattresses".

Also, I think we should name our 4th string QB "Mayhem". If current trends and recent history continues, he will be getting a start this season.

Next game 19k at best

If we are 0-4 going into the next home game, plus the extra wrinkle to really screw us is this game is on Oct 2 which is Texas/OU weekend. Now all we need to do is schedule the game for a noon start in the rain and we would have complete attendance suicide. I think 19k will be a dream if we have nice weather, I hope we have that many or better.

Logic tells me we have lost too many parts of our team to have a successful season. As much as I hope this team pulls out a win in Boca, I just can't see it happening. Everyone that pays attention to the attendance of FBS football programs is rightfully expecting our attendance to take a nose dive after our run of bad luck, and the season that will probably result in part from it. I hope we will continue to show up in respectable numbers for the games. Along with the new stadium, our support for this program, even in such lean years, has been our greatest gain in the last five years. I don't want the program to lose that support. I hope RV will send a message to the fan base that will calm the mood a little, and unite us. I don't know what that might be. I'll let you guys speculate on that.

Before the Army game many of us stated that our team needed a spark. We didn't get one. Now the entire Mean Green Nation needs a spark. I hope we get one. If we don't, I'm sure some within our fan base will be "going to the mattresses".

Also, I think we should name our 4th string QB "Mayhem". If current trends and recent history continues, he will be getting a start this season.

Its going to be tough. If we had hung tough with Army maybe a chance but a goose egg? Homecoming always gets you a 4-5K boost but lets be honest, this season is shaping up to be a tough one attendance wise. Damn shame as were heading into the new place too.

Attendance should be low because this team is not worth the time and money watching them live. I know it's harsh and people will call me a terrible fan but it is what it is. As for the next game...I am thinking the 12k-15k range tops because we will come back 0-4 with no hope. And I am sure that will be a quite a few tailgaters that won't step foot inside the stadium.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 3

Anyone who wants to bail out on the Oct. 2nd game, let me know.

I've got company coming down from Wisconsin. Took me to Lambeau Field, Wrigley Field, old County Stadium... He and my dad went to Ripon and Lawrence, the Texas/OU of D-III private Wisconsin schools. My first ever tailgating experience was with this family friend.

I'm going to try and show him the best tailgate he's ever seen in his life, and I'll bring as many other guests out as I possibly can. Not fishing for tickets... But anyone who doesn't want to show up (I totally understand and don't criticize), I'll find someone to use that ticket and show them the best time they can possibly have at a potentially 0-4 coaching death march in progress.

If you aren't coming, I'll find a local and try to make them a new fan. Did it in 2007 for SMU (spent about $6-700 on food and tickets for first time UNT viewers on that game) and it seemed to get at least a few new people to hop on board and somehow ride out the Dodge era. Maybe it can happen again.

• Upvote 2

Attendance should be low because this team is not worth the time and money watching them live. I know it's harsh and people will call me a terrible fan but it is what it is. As for the next game...I am thinking the 12k-15k range tops because we will come back 0-4 with no hope. And I am sure that will be a quite a few tailgaters that won't step foot inside the stadium.

True..I will not be there!

• Downvote 3

The people that follow these message boards are not the ones that the ones that I am concerned about losing. As far as I am concerned they already have such strong brand loyalty that those diehards are even wasting their time reading rambling messages like this.

I am more concerned with losing the interest of the students and casual fans, you know, people with entertainment interests not so limited to attending football games or perusing college football message boards.

OK, I think that we can all see that the on-field entertainment value may not promise to be it's best this season. No fault or blame needs to be pointed at anybody, there has just been a plague of injuries that has decimated the team.

So, what can to be done to compensate for the on-field product. The football game-days are a combination of lots of elements; tailgate cookouts, beer, collegiate heraldry, music, kids activities, beautiful coeds, alumni functions, and a lot more. How can these activities which we can contribute towards be increased to offset the area that we do not have any control? Concerts, free food, free beer, free tee shirts, 'beauty' contests, door prizes, etc.....

What will it take to get people to keep coming out to the games?

Now, I know you people are saying to yourselves, "but Adler, even if we have HUGE parties outside the stadium, why would students want leave the tailgate parties to come into the stadium?" Well, that's the easy part. The student ID's are scanned when they enter the stadium, so in essence, the athletic department has a list which contains the name of every student in attendance. In the second half select 100 random student names from attendees, post their names on the jumbotron, and give them $50.00 each. I guarantee that about every student in the parking lot will want to make sure that his/her ID is scanned by entering the stadium.

The people that follow these message boards are not the ones that the ones that I am concerned about losing. As far as I am concerned they already have such strong brand loyalty that those diehards are even wasting their time reading rambling messages like this.

I am more concerned with losing the interest of the students and casual fans, you know, people with entertainment interests not so limited to attending football games or perusing college football message boards.

OK, I think that we can all see that the on-field entertainment value may not promise to be it's best this season. No fault or blame needs to be pointed at anybody, there has just been a plague of injuries that has decimated the team.

So, what can to be done to compensate for the on-field product. The football game-days are a combination of lots of elements; tailgate cookouts, beer, collegiate heraldry, music, kids activities, beautiful coeds, alumni functions, and a lot more. How can these activities which we can contribute towards be increased to offset the area that we do not have any control? Concerts, free food, free beer, free tee shirts, 'beauty' contests, door prizes, etc.....

What will it take to get people to keep coming out to the games?

Now, I know you people are saying to yourselves, "but Adler, even if we have HUGE parties outside the stadium, why would students want leave the tailgate parties to come into the stadium?" Well, that's the easy part. The student ID's are scanned when they enter the stadium, so in essence, the athletic department has a list which contains the name of every student in attendance. In the second half select 100 random student names from attendees, post their names on the jumbotron, and give them $50.00 each. I guarantee that about every student in the parking lot will want to make sure that his/her ID is scanned by entering the stadium.

Homecoming has a good crowd usually and so does our home opener, I was thinking a huge cook off of some sort at one of the other games. Not to take away from your plan and both could be used.

• Upvote 1

this team is worth the time and money. the boys are trying hard and that's who we are supporting! we'll be there!!!

You are welcome to do what you want. However I refuse to give this program unconditional support. I will always pull for them to win but unless there is significant change, there is no point in attending games. I may be inclined to tailgate just to screw around and check out the hot women but I don't want to watch a terrible product on the field.

I don't hate our coach....I believe he is a very nice human being but that is a different issue. The truth is that he has failed miserably at his job and after every play, drive, week more and more salt gets added to the wound. I am not blaming the kids whatsoever...I am blaming the coaching staff and the AD that gave this clown a 4th year to coach.

Edited by Green Mean
  • Downvote 1

honest question green mean, you know it's not the kids fault so why don't you go to support those boys that are playing their best and aren't giving up? the seniors on this team deserve it, even if you don't think the coaches do.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Still my university. Still get my support. Maybe just me, but expecting the program to do more by giving them less money to do it with seems contradictory, though I suppose we are limited in the ways we can show displeasure.

I'll still be there with my green on...hopes are still high, but my expectations this year are low.

• Upvote 1

honest question green mean, you know it's not the kids fault so why don't you go to support those boys that are playing their best and aren't giving up? the seniors on this team deserve it, even if you don't think the coaches do.

Because somebody has to be accountable. In this case, the coaches have failed and the last 4 years have been a disaster and a joke. And yes I don't blame the kids but I still want to see better results overall. It's that simple. Why aren't you holding anybody accountable? It is almost as if losing is welcomed and accepted.

• Downvote 1

I knew many of the casual fans would pack it up, but never thought so many die hards would consider staying home. I hope those thinking about calling it a season make it out for the ULL game.

What would it take to change your minds?

You are welcome to do what you want. However I refuse to give this program unconditional support. I will always pull for them to win but unless there is significant change, there is no point in attending games. I may be inclined to tailgate just to screw around and check out the hot women but I don't want to watch a terrible product on the field.

I don't hate our coach....I believe he is a very nice human being but that is a different issue. The truth is that he has failed miserably at his job and after every play, drive, week more and more salt gets added to the wound. I am not blaming the kids whatsoever...I am blaming the coaching staff and the AD that gave this clown a 4th year to coach.

Obviously, no one can force you to attend; but the part I don't understand is why you even waste your valuable time on this board. NT football is important enough for you to spent time on the message boards and tailgating but not worth your time to go to the game. I assume you have not attended for five years because the product this year is at least equal to those teams that were bad without the disastrous injury situation.

NT needs all the support it can get, so even fair weather fans are appreciated, but on a personal level; I just don't understand the mind set. You stated there is no point in attending the games, so my question is why do you attend any games? Do you only attend games that NT is predicted to win, only games with a coach you support, just what is your attendance criteria? I am not picking on you because I know that there probably more with your view than the ones that will continue to go to the games they can and fully support the program. However, I don't understand why you boycott; a team composed of players you don't blame, a school that you have some allegiance to, and games in which you may be in the parking lot. My only guess is that somehow your "refusing to give this program unconditional support" is supposed to indicate a protest against something. A protest is not logical to me, the coaching decision has effectively been made and the school athletics are at long last moving forward.

There are multitudes of people who don't attend games because they don't want to watch or be affiliated with a losing team. That rationale might not be noble but it is usually a lot more truthful than most other explanations.

• Upvote 4

Obviously, no one can force you to attend; but the part I don't understand is why you even waste your valuable time on this board. NT football is important enough for you to spent time on the message boards and tailgating but not worth your time to go to the game. I assume you have not attended for five years because the product this year is at least equal to those teams that were bad without the disastrous injury situation.

NT needs all the support it can get, so even fair weather fans are appreciated, but on a personal level; I just don't understand the mind set. You stated there is no point in attending the games, so my question is why do you attend any games? Do you only attend games that NT is predicted to win, only games with a coach you support, just what is your attendance criteria? I am not picking on you because I know that there probably more with your view than the ones that will continue to go to the games they can and fully support the program. However, I don't understand why you boycott; a team composed of players you don't blame, a school that you have some allegiance to, and games in which you may be in the parking lot. My only guess is that somehow your "refusing to give this program unconditional support" is supposed to indicate a protest against something. A protest is not logical to me, the coaching decision has effectively been made and the school athletics are at long last moving forward.

There are multitudes of people who don't attend games because they don't want to watch or be affiliated with a losing team. That rationale might not be noble but it is usually a lot more truthful than most other explanations.

Why do I attend games? Well it is a good outing and I want to support the teams of my university. I don't attend EVERY single game but I attend a couple every year. Yes it was the same last year...it doesn't mean I was pleased with the results then. However there is a limit for me. At some point everyone just says that enough is enough. Most of our lives don't revolve around NT athletics and we can all agree that there are always other things we can be doing with our time that will be just as valuably spent. I don't want the team to lose but I want to see a competitive, winning product on the field. I don't understand why that is too much to ask. I guess protesting isn't the right word to use...the rationale is simple for me. As much of a good time I will have a game...nothing beats a team that goes out and wins. I am not asking for a top 25 program, or a BCS buster...but a team that can at least hold its own in the worst conference in the nation.

• Downvote 1

take a hike then, don't need you

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 4

Likewise.

Hey guys, try to cool down a little. We are all frustrated.

We need every dedicated fan that we can get, regardless of the degree of dedication. All of us have obviously been discouraged by the results of these last five seasons, and what appears to currently be another rough campaign. Some of us have different levels of emotional and financial commitment, and some even have family members directly involved. We need everyone of us to hang together to make the most of this season. Next year holds so much promise; beautiful new stadium and what will probably be exciting new leadership for our football team.

• Upvote 1