A Freshman That Really Impressed Me Today

SUMG

Oh yeah....Brelan Chancellor, Brandin Byrd, Y'Barbo, Antonio Johnson, Bellazin, Zach Orr and maybe even a few others have their moments. (especially Chancellor today).

But keep an eye on the reportedly 357 lb. D lineman Richard Abbe. That big guy is not your atypical big stiff. He can move. And after the scrimmage, a coach was making him and three other DLs run some gassers: Physical specimen (the former soldier) Brandon McCoy was always first. Abbe was always second....and ran them very smoothly. The last time a player caught my eye, while running gassers.....Brad Kassell.

Just my opinion.

This freshman class based on reports is much better than I expected. I thought outside of Bellazin and Orr, there was not much there. I am amazed at Abbe, despite reporting over weight and having been an offensive lineman in high school, he appears to be a player. The Copperas Cove duo also are much better than I anticipated. Johnson certainly has the structure to be a very good offensive linemen. There are not many freshmen this year but it looks like a greater percentage than normal will be contributors. Of course looking good inter-squad does not necessarily translate to real games, but so far we should be encouraged.

The two most impressive freshmen I've noticed have been the two teammates from Copperas Cove, Byrd and Chancellor. Both of those guys are highly motivated. I understand wanting to get a full four years out of a player like Chancellor, but this guy is looking very Johnny Quinn(ish) in his intensity and his ability to go after the ball.

I noticed Abbe getting a lot of playing time with the second team. This guy also seems like someone who wants to play now. His weight is certainly a concern, but it's not too far from Booger's playing weight, and Abbe is much taller. He's also demonstrated,(by getting into a fight with Kelvin Drake) that he's not intimidated by upper classmen. In my book, that's the mind set that you need to play defense in D-1 football.

We've also had somewhat of a mystery QB getting a noticable amount of reps out there that may or may not be someone who might end up at 3rd string. His number is 10 (not on the official roster) and his name is John Dodson. He played QB at Bishop Lynch HS. His last season there was 08. Here is a highlight film from that year on a John Dodson (#17). I'm assuming it's the same guy. His High school roster listed him at 6'1" X 185.

Edited by SilverEagle

After watching him yesterday Byrd just might be our next super back for the future? Very impressive. And I too noticed Abbe chasing people sideline to sideline and moving very well for such a big guy. Lets just hope they don't start jacking with moving him to the offense, back and forth like they have done Ross?

I think we have a much improved defensive line. I was really enjoying the fact that our offense couldn't score at all in the beginning of the scrimmage. Maybe the defense will turn the corner this year?

Rick

The two most impressive freshmen I've noticed have been the two teammates from Copperas Cove, Byrd and Chancellor. Both of those guys are highly motivated. I understand wanting to get a full four years out of a player like Chancellor, but this guy is looking very Johnny Quinn(ish) in his intensity and his ability to go after the ball.

I noticed Abbe getting a lot of playing time with the second team. This guy also seems like someone who wants to play now. His weight is certainly a concern, but it's not too far from Booger's playing weight, and Abbe is much taller. He's also demonstrated,(by getting into a fight with Kelvin Drake) that he's not intimidated by upper classmen. In my book, that's the mind set that you need to play defense in D-1 football.

We've also had somewhat of a mystery QB getting a noticable amount of reps out there that may or may not be someone who might end up at 3rd string. His number is 10 (not on the official roster) and his name is John Dodson. He played QB at Bishop Lynch HS. His last season there was 08. Here is a highlight film from that year on a John Dodson (#17). I'm assuming it's the same guy. His High school roster listed him at 6'1" X 185.

Silver:

The kid looks great, I hope he makes or stays with the team. I am always for the underdog.

Yes, that's him. After I bought season tickets yesterday, I went to the area where players were signing autographs and saw him walking up from the field. I told him how much some of us were impressed by him. Friendly kid.

Yes, that's him. After I bought season tickets yesterday, I went to the area where players were signing autographs and saw him walking up from the field. I told him how much some of us were impressed by him. Friendly kid.

Ok - this is starting to make a little more sense now. While at the scrimmage, I was talking with some folks that said they were students and were there to see a QB that they had been in a class with at one point (they didn't know many names of players). So I started down the list of QB's: Thompson, Tune, Baine, Dodge - but they kept saying the guy's name was "Dodson". I thought maybe they just really didn't know the guy's name, but looks like they did...

Ok - this is starting to make a little more sense now. While at the scrimmage, I was talking with some folks that said they were students and were there to see a QB that they had been in a class with at one point (they didn't know many names of players). So I started down the list of QB's: Thompson, Tune, Baine, Dodge - but they kept saying the guy's name was "Dodson". I thought maybe they just really didn't know the guy's name, but looks like they did...

Hey Forney. Good to meet you at the 5K.