Quick Hits

Harry

- both Qbs had moments but Thompson still #1

- defense is faster will make more plays from sideline to sideline. Secondary and linebacker jucos make this a better team

- still see Byrd as #2 rb although Hamilton had a good long 25 yard run. Maybe a tie for time at #2 spot.

- lookout WR core is beat up. BJ just got back, Carey still wearing cast and now Jamal Jackson out with stretched ligaments. Tyler Stradfor has a tweaked hammy. Chancellor had good showing today, he may have earned a spot with the injuries.

- no Riley at QB that I saw today.

- kicking game started shaky with pat misses and then got better. Still a concern.

- oline battle for that extra spot still not finalized from where I was sitting.

- nice event well done by AD dept. Wish there were more out there but it was pretty hot.

- new stadium still there and looking great!

More to come later...GMG!

I thought Tune was a little better today , but still it's about a deadlock for me

Tackling has improved greatly

I thought Chancellor was the best player on the field today , but Dodge says he will probably redshirt... go figure

We still lack playmakers on D , in order to win any ball games we will have to get turnovers

Let's not even attempt a FG vs Clemson , just go for it

I still don't understand the designed runs for the QB during a scrimmage

Several plays where the WRs did not run the correct or full routes

DL ,at times, was no where to be found

Edited by NT03

You can't lay this at the feet of the coaches. Olen was a highly rated and recruited coming out of high school.

Correction: You can't lay this at the feet of the recruiters.

Talented kids still have to be coached to exploit all of their potential. That would be coaching the players both mentally and physically.

Correction: You can't lay this at the feet of the recruiters.

Talented kids still have to be coached to exploit all of their potential. That would be coaching the players both mentally and physically.

Agreed. Relying on a Freshman kicker to be our saviour, unless that Freshman kicker was INSANELY good in high school, doesn't sound like a very wise idea when you consider all of the kicking woes that we have had around here lately. Hell, at this point I would give up 5 schollys if it were possible for that to ensure us a consistently good kicking game. You ought to be able to head to the head or grab a beer or something after we score a TD, instead of having to sit on the edge of your chair praying that we can somehow manage to kick a PAT. Hopefully one of these kickers will wake up soon.

Agreed. Relying on a Freshman kicker to be our saviour, unless that Freshman kicker was INSANELY good in high school, doesn't sound like a very wise idea when you consider all of the kicking woes that we have had around here lately. Hell, at this point I would give up 5 schollys if it were possible for that to ensure us a consistently good kicking game. You ought to be able to head to the head or grab a beer or something after we score a TD, instead of having to sit on the edge of your chair praying that we can somehow manage to kick a PAT. Hopefully one of these kickers will wake up soon.

Saw this on another board. Olen had problems when Dodge was his holder, with Attaberry(sp) holding his kicks were OK. Coach Gandy did confirmed the switch in holders. Also said that Serrano's kick from 22 should have been moved back 5 yards for a better angle, but the offense didn't cause the penalty. (delay of game).

Edited by MeanGreen61

If four years in, you still have yet to master the PAT and are in a "might as well go for it" mode, then yeah, it's on the coaches. As are most of the deficiencies we've seen minimal improvement in in a three year period.

I don't understand how Chancellor redshirts with all the issues at WR, especially in such a critical season for this staff. Then again, it's the same head coach who said re: Carey “We hope to get him back for the first game [at Clemson], but definitely I want to get him back for Rice and Army", so who the heck knows what the end goal is. Maybe we'll just roll out the Eagle Angels at WR at Clemson, take our 7 TD beating, and get ready for Rice. Hopefully Jackson and Stradford are just dinged and won't miss time, unless the Clemson sandbagging claims them.

Sounds like the biggest positive was the defensive speed... I hope that translates, particularly in the "giving up the big play" arena....

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

I don't understand how Chancellor redshirts with all the issues at WR, especially in such a critical season for this staff. Then again, it's the same head coach who said re: Carey “We hope to get him back for the first game [at Clemson], but definitely I want to get him back for Rice and Army", so who the heck knows what the end goal is. Maybe we'll just roll out the Eagle Angels at WR at Clemson, take our 7 TD beating, and get ready for Rice. Hopefully Jackson and Stradford are just dinged and won't miss time, unless the Clemson sandbagging claims them.

Jackson had a cast on his hand today (shown here with Carey)...

med_gallery_3776_2_782148.jpg

How can I get one of those schedule posters if I live six hours away? I'm a teacher and I would love to put one up in my classroom with all my other NT stuff!

• Upvote 1

You can't lay this at the feet of the coaches. Olen was a highly rated and recruited coming out of high school.

You know if this was just a one or two year thing, I might give a little credence to this thought, but we are now in year 4...think about that for a second - 4 years in and we STILL have kicking issues. If Olen had this many issues in high school I am betting he wouldn't have been so highly rated, so it has to be the coaches.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

- both Qbs had moments but Thompson still #1

- defense is faster will make more plays from sideline to sideline. Secondary and linebacker jucos make this a better team

- still see Byrd as #2 rb although Hamilton had a good long 25 yard run. Maybe a tie for time at #2 spot.

- lookout WR core is beat up. BJ just got back, Carey still wearing cast and now Jamal Jackson out with stretched ligaments. Tyler Stradfor has a tweaked hammy. Chancellor had good showing today, he may have earned a spot with the injuries.

- no Riley at QB that I saw today.

- kicking game started shaky with pat misses and then got better. Still a concern.

- oline battle for that extra spot still not finalized from where I was sitting.

- nice event well done by AD dept. Wish there were more out there but it was pretty hot.

- new stadium still there and looking great!

More to come later...GMG!

Forlando Johnson has really impressed me. His sideline to sideline speed and tackling should get him playing time. I could see Robertson moving to MLB, and Johnson, and Phillips playing the outside spots in passing situations.

Kicking game still scares me. Olen made his kicks after Atterbery started holding, but I feel he is still kicking too low and some of those will end up being blocked. I hope they are coaching him up. This team will only be successful (7-5 or better) if we have a solid kicking game. I feel confident in Atterberry, and the punt game. Kick return and punt return should be ok, but I'm not sold on extra points, field goals, and kickoffs.