Wac Made Multiple Attempts To Get Unt

MeanGreen61

"Utah State athletic director Scott Barnes wrote a letter to Aggies' fans Thursday explaining that the Aggies were the first of the three WAC schools to be invited by the MWC, but that Utah State turned down the offer because it had signed the $5 million buyout agreement. Nevada and Fresno State chose not to honor the agreement, which was consummated just four days earlier."

USU fans have to be hurtin' bad....on the verge of joining the MWC and their AD turns it down! Now they face the possibility of losing their complete conference.

Just out of curiosity...why doesn't USU just pay the 5 million? I know it's a lot of money but I am sure they can work something out. I just think the reward is so much better if they somehow someway dish it out.

I don't think it was the $5M buyout that drove USU's decision. They were just holding fast to the position they thought all the other WAC members had agreed to. BYU was going to leave the MWC and rejoin the WAC (except for football) although they were going to play a lot of the WAC schools in football just not as a conference game. As I understand it this was the deal and all the WAC members knew it and took an oath to stick together and make it happen. The $5M was a part of that committment and USU was living up to it's word. At the 11th hour Fresno St and Nevada did a 180 on the WAC and accepted invites to the MWC. Basically, the hunted (the WAC when MWC went after Boise St) became the hunter when it tried to get BYU back and then became the hunted again when the MWC pulled the rug out from under the WAC and poached Fresno St and Nevada.

Keith