Is Rice A Must Win ?

NT03

So 9-3 means the season is a failure?

No that would be a successful season, Im just saying. I would want to win every game but you know its not going to happen. Im sure you could go and ask any player on the team, and they would say the same thing.

No that would be a successful season, Im just saying. I would want to win every game but you know its not going to happen. Im sure you could go and ask any player on the team, and they would say the same thing.

I think some of you are redefining what a "must-win" is. Of course you never want to go into a game saying, "It's O.K. if we lose." There'd better not be anybody on the team going into the Rice game with that kind of attitude. But a "must-win game means that if you lose, your season is effectively over.

Well I still think it is a must win game, it sets the tone for the season, and it shows where we stand to potential recruits in Texas. Rice is one of the schools we compete with for regional talent. Say we lose, it shows that we still are not on the higher level of play that we want to be at.

How we have fared against BCS teams under Dodge :

2009 lost 53 - 7 vs Bama

2008 lost 45 - 6 vs KState

2008 lost 41 - 3 vs LSU

2007 lost 79 - 10 vs OU

2007 lost 66 - vs ARK

In 2008 K State was 2 - 6 in the BIG XII.

--- Those look terrible... 40+ point loses just should not occur. He needs to win 7, maybe 6 if the losses are extremely close. Forget the MOB.... and don't take it personal.. they go after everyone... I don't think Rice even has a music dept. It is an odd group.

--- The funniest one I can remember is a Tribute to the Aggie mascot..... They formed a fireplug.

I think some of you are redefining what a "must-win" is. Of course you never want to go into a game saying, "It's O.K. if we lose." There'd better not be anybody on the team going into the Rice game with that kind of attitude. But a "must-win game means that if you lose, your season is effectively over.

Looking at the poll and how everyone is answering, it appears you are redefining "must-win."

Getting blown out on a road and then getting beat at home, puts UNT in a deeper recruiting hole. It is a must win to beat the teams that are our recruiting competition. We must win that battle to win the recruiting war. Especially if we do end up 9-3 (like you offer up) and Rice goes to a bowl too, but they beat us and that matter to a recruit. Hell, it is even worse if Rice goes 1-11 and we still go 9-3. So yes, I think most people find it a must-win.

By your definition, no game is a must-in, because the season should never be over in the player's head. They should never fold.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Looking at the poll and how everyone is answering, it appears you are redefining "must-win."

Getting blown out on a road and then getting beat at home, puts UNT in a deeper recruiting hole. It is a must win to beat the teams that are our recruiting competition. We must win that battle to win the recruiting war. Especially if we do end up 9-3 (like you offer up) and Rice goes to a bowl too, but they beat us and that matter to a recruit. Hell, it is even worse if Rice goes 1-11 and we still go 9-3. So yes, I think most people find it a must-win.

By your definition, no game is a must-in, because the season should never be over in the player's head. They should never fold.

I guess it is a "must win" for Dodge. Is that better?

i have to admitt that i just changed my vote. initially, i'd voted 'yes' simply because the game's importance can't be understated.

that said, the question assumes a loss to clemson but if they win the opener, a victory over rice would be icing on the cake, right? also, if they start 0-2 and finish out with a sunbelt title, i'm thinking the rice lost would be a distant memory.

with 10 games left in the season, it's hard to call it a "must win" but it sure seems important to get off on the right foot for the psyche of both the team and the fans.

What are you talking about, by my definition "no game is a must-win"? We know what the bar is for this season--7 wins. Any potential loss that would eliminate the possibility of 7 wins becomes a "must-win."

So tell me, what is your definition of a must-win?

• Downvote 1

It's about that time for a HOT sports topic before the season.

Would you consider the RICE game a must win game for Todd Dodge ?

I say yes. Let's face it we will be heavy underdogs vs the likes of Clemson,Troy,MTSU & K -State. Dodge has to win 7 games and if we lose to those 4 Dodge would have to go 7 - 1 in all other games.

Rice was one of the youngest teams in the country , is under a 2nd year head coach & was 2 - 10 last season. This game reminds me of the SMU game a few years back. It's important for so many reasons. Big for the players , recruiting and the fans. We have several casual fans out there for the home opener like we do every year so I think a win would bring most people back for the next home game

We got our a$$ handed to us the last time we played them so there should be no shortage of motivation. Rice would probably be a middle of the pack , lower tier Belt team so this should be a good measuring stick on where we might wind up @ the end of the season

If Dodge can't win this game then I can't see him reaching his 7 wins.

For those with short term memories, NT03 started this thread and hits on the intent of what "must win" means in this poll.

i have to admitt that i just changed my vote. initially, i'd voted 'yes' simply because the game's importance can't be understated.

that said, the question assumes a loss to clemson but if they win the opener, a victory over rice would be icing on the cake, right? also, if they start 0-2 and finish out with a sunbelt title, i'm thinking the rice lost would be a distant memory.

with 10 games left in the season, it's hard to call it a "must win" but it sure seems important to get off on the right foot for the psyche of both the team and the fans.

Not to be a bully but... what exactly did you say?

There is no way this is a must win. Those of you voting 'Yes' are crazy. The fact is it's a non-conference game. If we win the Belt no one cares about this game. If we win this game but get killed in the Belt... guess what, no one cares about this game.

• Upvote 1

There is no way this is a must win. Those of you voting 'Yes' are crazy. The fact is it's a non-conference game. If we win the Belt no one cares about this game. If we win this game but get killed in the Belt... guess what, no one cares about this game.

This game provides a barometer for the upcoming season. A loss to Rice means heading to Army and into conference play with zero confidence.

Is it a must win when taking the season as a whole? No.

Is it a must win to provided the confidence for this team to follow it up with 6 more wins? Absolutely.

This team doesn't win 7 without beating Rice.

Edited by UNT90

"Must wins" to get to 7 victories in my book the Rice game is clearly one of these "must wins", if we beat Clemson then the Rice game is not a must win to me. Must wins are not usually about mathematically being eliminated from a needed number. Can we get to seven wins without beating Rice absolutely, but I don't think it will happen that way. So in my long drawn out opinion the road to seven wins starts with a victory against Rice.

So in my book this is a must win and I really don't see it happening any other way.

"Must wins" to get to 7 victories in my book the Rice game is clearly one of these "must wins", if we beat Clemson then the Rice game is not a must win to me. Must wins are not usually about mathematically being eliminated from a needed number. Can we get to seven wins without beating Rice absolutely, but I don't think it will happen that way. So in my long drawn out opinion the road to seven wins starts with a victory against Rice.

So in my book this is a must win and I really don't see it happening any other way.

If we beat Clemson, then we had better beat Rice. If we can beat a team that is poised to be one of the better teams in the ACC, then a CUSA also-ran shouldn't be too hard. I don't expect us to beat Clemson, but if we somehow do, then we should be thinking 12-0.

It's a "must win" for this reason. If there are any true traditions at NT this is one. Go on the road and take an a$$-whoopin against a big name, have the fans write that one off as nothing more than a paycheck and show up for the home opener anyway...then watch us get driven at home by a menial squad.

If we want half of the home opening student crowd and a third of the alumni crowd to return for any more games next season we "must win" the Rice game. We can win all the games we want afterward but the first impression is already made. Win and you increase your fan base...and hook those who are seeing the team for the first time. Lose and it's "same ol' North Texas".

• Upvote 1

It's a "must win" for this reason. If there are any true traditions at NT this is one. Go on the road and take an a$$-whoopin against a big name, have the fans write that one off as nothing more than a paycheck and show up for the home opener anyway...then watch us get driven at home by a menial squad.

If we want half of the home opening student crowd and a third of the alumni crowd to return for any more games next season we "must win" the Rice game. We can win all the games we want afterward but the first impression is already made. Win and you increase your fan base...and hook those who are seeing the team for the first time. Lose and it's "same ol' North Texas".

This

First college football game I saw ever as a kid was at Rice Stadium with the Owls hosting Baylor, circa 1962. About 14,000 in the stands that day as I recall. (I couldn't believe so many empty seats in that 72,000 seat stadium).

As a 12 yo kid from Danbury, Texas, (11 miles from Alvin "Nolan Ryan Country" Tx) it made quite an impression. Jess Neely was the Rice Coach and John Bridges was BU's.

PS If you have time, pay me a visit at: www.soundworksdeejay.com Thats pretty much what I do most Saturdays.

GMG!

Edited by PlummMeanGreen

A respectable showing is all most fans expect. What happened last time was bad.

Last time? It happens every time we play a non-conference FBS team (minus the cinci chic-filas). Most fans are over the "respectable showing." Especially against a team so lowly regarded in FBS. Hell, even on NCAA 11, Rice has D's across the board. UNT has C/C-. Even NCAA 11 thinks we should win the pillow fight -- and we will have home field.

Edited by SteaminWillieBeamin
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1