Wac Commissioner Talks Expansion

Arkstfan post from the Belt board.

RE: WAC Commish & Possible Realignment

If Boise State leaves I think the WAC options become.

1. Add Montana and hope that the financial and perception swing of swapping Montana for Boise doesn't drive La.Tech out the door.

2. Add a single FCS in Texas in order to give Tech something of a break and stabilize the numbers.

3. Try to some combination of three Sun Belt schools and FCS schools in addition to Montana to stabilize and secure the league while gaining some travel relief.

4. Try to leap ahead of the curve of going to 16 while learning from last time by aligning into two groups of 8 that don't care greatly about playing the schools in the other division. That is most easily accomplished by adding Montana and creating a western division of all current WAC schools except La.Tech and then raiding seven out of the Sun Belt (presumably not FIU/FAU and probably favoring USA over ULM). Giving you a league that plays 7 divisional football games and maybe one cross-over, and in basketball playing 14 divisional games and either 2 or 4 cross-over and baseball with a six team western division and seven team eastern division (and UNT cowering in fear of adding baseball to avoid being sent west).

I know that Karl Benson has faced this multiple times but this time the hurtin' won't heal. IF things go as advertised then I believe that we will see the end of the WAC.

It's almost foregone that Utah, BYU and TCU will move on up. But, before that happens all the MWC has to do is invite Boise State, Fresno State, Hawaii and Nevada. That would leave the WAC with only five teams and one of those is La Tech, which also has a good chance of moving to another conference. The MWC could then cherry-pick the remainder depending on how large a conference they want. They could add UTEP if they wanted. Hell, they might even consider North Texas if they want to go to 16.

I hate to see this because the WAC has been around for nearly 50 years. Unfortunately, with the WAC and the MWC the same size, the Mountain West has the clout to expand if they beat the WAC to the punch. Personally, I think that they will.

Fresno radio station sez Boise State going to the MWC.

fast forward to 2:20

http://www.kmph.com/global/category.asp?c=170789&clipId=4785404&topVideoCatNo=110549&autoStart=true

Interesting that it says Boise will only play one more year in the WAC and that Nevada and Fresno are pushing for inclusion . Wonder if the MWC loses BYU, Utah, TCU, etc. if Boise will still join? Probably, it is still a step up from WAC plus no Hawaii and La Tech trips.

As for the WAC, I thought Montana was tied to Montana State about moving? I doubt NT would consider the WAC unless again an Eastern WAC was proposed with inclusion of at least 3 SBC teams. It may happen this time as the WAC has fewer options.

Edited by NT80

Interesting that it says Boise will only play one more year in the WAC and that Nevada and Fresno are pushing for inclusion . Wonder if the MWC loses BYU, Utah, TCU, etc. if Boise will still join? Probably, it is still a step up from WAC plus no Hawaii and La Tech trips.

As for the WAC, I thought Montana was tied to Montana State about moving? I doubt NT would consider the WAC unless again an Eastern WAC was proposed with inclusion of at least 3 SBC teams. It may happen this time as the WAC has fewer options.

I believe that Montana and Montana State are tied by their state legislature and Montana State can't meet the attendance requirements.

The attendance requirement, rumored to be raised to 18,000, is likely why Idaho will not be included if the MWC is the surviving member of the merger.

I don't know that any other SBC teams would be included but how could we turn down an eight team division of Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, and Tulsa which has been speculated?

The western division would be Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV, San Diego State, Hawaii, Utah State and San Jose State. Someone believes that Hawaii has initiated a student fee to pay transportation costs to the islands for conference members so that they can be included in realignment.

I believe that Montana and Montana State are tied by their state legislature and Montana State can't meet the attendance requirements.

The attendance requirement, rumored to be raised to 18,000, is likely why Idaho will not be included if the MWC is the surviving member of the merger.

I don't know that any other SBC teams would be included but how could we turn down an eight team division of Wyoming, Colorado State, Air Force, New Mexico, New Mexico State, UTEP, and Tulsa which has been speculated?

The western division would be Boise State, Fresno State, Nevada, UNLV, San Diego State, Hawaii, Utah State and San Jose State. Someone believes that Hawaii has initiated a student fee to pay transportation costs to the islands for conference members so that they can be included in realignment.

If CUSA in a form very close to the way it is currently constituted isn't an option then I would jump at this alignment. NewMags and CSU, utep and Tulsa would intrigue me...plus, I have a brother in law stationed in Albuquerque.

Still, I don't see Boise jumping to a watered down MWC.

Edited by emmitt01

"There is a domino effect. If the Pacific 10 Conference elects to expand to 12 teams — currently the league has 10 members — it will most likely come from the Mountain West pool — Utah, BYU and TCU would all seem likely candidates to move."

Ok, so if Utah and BYU go to the Pac 10, then where does TCU go?

"There is a domino effect. If the Pacific 10 Conference elects to expand to 12 teams — currently the league has 10 members — it will most likely come from the Mountain West pool — Utah, BYU and TCU would all seem likely candidates to move."

Ok, so if Utah and BYU go to the Pac 10, then where does TCU go?

I think if the Pac 10 elects to expand and these three school are the targets it will be Utah and BYU that they end up with. I can't see either being allowed to leave without the other.

i don't think t.c.u. will be invited to big 12 unless conference just can't find anyone else. t.c.u. brings no new market to the conference, as big 12 already controls both dfw and houston media. i would look to new mexico or memphis first, or utah if pac 10 doesn't snatch them up.

• Upvote 2

If C-USA doesn't extend an offer, we may need to go to the WAC because I really don't see the Sun Belt surviving realignment.

I'm hoping that CUSA does extend an offer but I'm afraid that the WAC won't be a survivor either. Based on the wildest rumors that I've seen, the SBC would lose no more than four to realignment. That would leave six after South Alabama comes aboard. They could accept two or more from the FCS who would be glad to get their foot in the door.

I'm hoping that CUSA does extend an offer but I'm afraid that the WAC won't be a survivor either. Based on the wildest rumors that I've seen, the SBC would lose no more than four to realignment. That would leave six after South Alabama comes aboard. They could accept two or more from the FCS who would be glad to get their foot in the door.

And that would be horrible for the Sun Belt... we'd become nothing more than a glorified FCS conference. I think the WAC survives, too many teams like Fresno State, San Jose State, Boise State and Hawaii and too few expansion spots to allocate to both the MWC and WAC Cinderellas.

More than likely I see the MWC falling apart, with UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, New Mexico, and maybe Air Force all joining the WAC, TCU and Colorado State goes Big 12, BYU and Utah go to the PAC-12. We end up with an improved WAC with two slots still available to make a 16-team conference, with invites to UNT and Houston.

WAC West

San Diego State

UNLV

Boise State

Idaho

Hawaii

Fresno State

Nevada

San Jose State

WAC East

LA Tech

UNT

Houston

New Mexico

Air Force

Wyoming

New Mexico State

Utah State

• Upvote 1

I would take that in a heart beat, Flyer.

GMG

It's my dream scenario, to be honest. Even if Boise State goes to a different confernce, an expanded WAC that picks up schools in Texas and New Mexico and becomes a 16-team conference is a great scenario for us, considering we have a standing invite for the WAC.

And that would be horrible for the Sun Belt... we'd become nothing more than a glorified FCS conference. I think the WAC survives, too many teams like Fresno State, San Jose State, Boise State and Hawaii and too few expansion spots to allocate to both the MWC and WAC Cinderellas.

More than likely I see the MWC falling apart, with UNLV, Wyoming, SDSU, New Mexico, and maybe Air Force all joining the WAC, TCU and Colorado State goes Big 12, BYU and Utah go to the PAC-12. We end up with an improved WAC with two slots still available to make a 16-team conference, with invites to UNT and Houston.

WAC West

San Diego State

UNLV

Boise State

Idaho

Hawaii

Fresno State

Nevada

San Jose State

WAC East

LA Tech

UNT

Houston

New Mexico

Air Force

Wyoming

New Mexico State

Utah State

I like this, but I have a few questions. First, where is UTEP? I would think they would want in on this too. Would we get an offer ahead of them? Did they burn that bridge when they left the WAC back in 2005 for C-USA? And second, would Houston be willing to leave Rice behind? Would they even be allowed to?

I like this, but I have a few questions. First, where is UTEP? I would think they would want in on this too. Would we get an offer ahead of them? Did they burn that bridge when they left the WAC back in 2005 for C-USA? And second, would Houston be willing to leave Rice behind? Would they even be allowed to?

We already have an offer to join the WAC, if rumors are to be believed. We've had it for years.

I actually like UTEP being in this. You can theoretically throw Boise State out (strong possibility they'd go somewhere else), move Utah State to the west division and put UTEP in the east.

I think Houston would join a stronger WAC if invited.

Edited by UNTflyer

We already have an offer to join the WAC, if rumors are to be believed. We've had it for years.

I actually like UTEP being in this. You can theoretically throw Boise State out (strong possibility they'd go somewhere else), move Utah State to the west division and put UTEP in the east.

I think Houston would join a stronger WAC if invited.

I don't see Houston dumping CUSA for this new WAC. They have easy travel now to Rice, UTEP, Smut, Tulsa, and Tulane, plus a close rival with USM.

Nobody wants to join a western conference if they don't have to. UNT may have to and I'd be in favor of those divisions you made. Houston, not so much.

Edited by NT80

i would think that after 1] the big 10 raids big 12/big east,2] pac 10 raids big 12/mt.west, 3] big 12 raids mt. west/cusa, and 4] big east raids cusa, the best case scenario for remaining mid/majors is a]eastern members of cusa join sunbelt, b] western members of sunbelt join cusa, and c] wac and mt. west merge. should be an interesting summer.

I think if the Pac 10 elects to expand and these three school are the targets it will be Utah and BYU that they end up with. I can't see either being allowed to leave without the other.

byu is private school with low academic rating compared to existing pac 10 members, while utah is a good fit. in addition, i think no sports on sunday is a deal breaker. i would be more surprised if they went together. again, you only need one of them to capture t.v. market, not both.

byu is private school with low academic rating compared to existing pac 10 members, while utah is a good fit. in addition, i think no sports on sunday is a deal breaker. i would be more surprised if they went together. again, you only need one of them to capture t.v. market, not both.

Don't forget the BYU honor code verse USC, UCLA, Stanford and Cal. Acceptable social behavior at the last four can and will get you expelled from BYU.

i am at the point that if b.s.u. moves to mt.west, which would leave w.a.c. with just 8 schools, we should package ourselves, ark. st, u.la.la., and u.t.e.p. to create a w.a.c. eastern division, which would include n. mexico st. and another existing w.a.c. school. i just can't believe that s.m.u. will allow us in c.u.s.a., any more than t.c.u. will let them into mt. west. just an opinion. i would rather go west than east.