Why Don't We Ever Play Houston?

North Texas and Houston are about the same size, are located the two largest T.V. markets in Texas, and are both public universities. We are both tier 4, both have crappy stadiums, though we are fixing that problem, and neither of us is in an auto-bid conference. Why don't we play each other? We should have a strong relationship. They should be an annual non-conference game for us. There should be a rivalry between us. We should have been working on this since we moved back up to D1. Can it still happen? Would any North Texas fan support this move? If so, we need to make it known.

They were only our conference mates in the Missouri Valley for 3 years. We joined in '57, replacing Oklahoma State and Houston left after '59.

Also in the Lone Star Conference with them from 1946 until (I believe) 1950.

Houston has stated that it is not in their best interest to play North Texas at this time.

By the way, their stadium has been updated and looks pretty nice.

They really don't have anything to gain by playing UNT at the moment or in recent years.

The Cougs have BCS bid dreams while we are still trying to beat the F_U's of the world

A win over UNT would not gain any national respect and a loss would be embarrassing.

They have enough in state conference games already with Rice,UTEP & Smu while also being able to get teams like Tech , Oklahoma St & Oregon to home and homes with

If we can start winning 6+ games a year , pack the new stadium then teams like UofH , UTEP should be a priority for home and homes

Edited by NT03
  • Upvote 2

They really don't have anything to gain by playing UNT at the moment or in recent years.

The Cougs have BCS bid dreams while we are still trying to beat the F_U's of the world

A win over UNT would not gain any national respect and a loss would be embarrassing.

They have enough in state conference games already with Rice,UTEP & Smu while also being able to get teams like Tech , Oklahoma St & Oregon to home and homes with

If we can start winning 6+ games a year , pack the new stadium then teams like UofH , UTEP should be a priority for home and homes

I asked Rv about this. Houston refuses to do a home and home

This.

tcu refuses to play us as well.don't know about utep, but our new stadium will afford new options for home&home scheduling.

I think this is an interesting topic for many reasons. One, it really it hits home on the mountain that UNT faces with the other current Division-1 teams in Texas. The Big XII teams in Texas probably won't play here again, even with a new stadium, because of Jerry World and the Cotton Bowl aggressively hosting games for them. The non-AQ teams that have something, like TCU and UH, have no interest in playing us becasue the benefit just really isn't there for them if they win big versus the huge cost of a loss or close win. As a matter of fact, when we lost at TCU 16-10 back in 2002, their fans at Amon Carter were really bad-mouthing their AD for scheduling that game. But, with teams like Rice or SMU, which have been trying to gain traction and get butts in the seats, UNT has been a good team to schedule. UTEP could certainly fit in with them, too.

To me, though, this is why I think extending a hand to UTSA or Texas State to get in the SBC would pay huge dividends for our future. We can get an in-state rivalry going finally and try and schedule OOC with other schools like NMSU, Tulsa, or LA Tech again to fill in the schedule. I also think that you could get a lower-tier Big Ten, PAC-10, ACC, or MWC team to come this way. If I were RV, I would also be on the horn with Boise State, Fresno State, and Nevada today to schedule a series. These teams have solid name recognition, esepcially Boise, and those teams would love some Texas exposure. We have to get creative here, but it is going to be easier to draw quality OOC teams from outside of Texas with our new stadium. Looking at the WAC is great because they don't come to the Metroplex like CUSA or MWC teams already do. If we had an OOC schedule of SMU/Rice/UTEP, one of the other "local" non-AQ teams I mentioned earlier, one of those WAC teams or a BCS lower-tier team, and one money game, I think that would look pretty good to most of us.

• Upvote 1

I asked Rv about this. Houston refuses to do a home and home

That's very sad if Houston views playing home and home series with Texas State and UTSA as better then playing us. We have much more work to do in the PR department then I thought.

That's very sad if Houston views playing home and home series with Texas State and UTSA as better then playing us. We have much more work to do in the PR department then I thought.

Not necessarily. They may be well aware that if we ever get our act together, North Texas has the resources to quickly reach the top half of 1-A football. Texas State and UTSA may get there eventually, but they ought to be pretty well a guaranteed win for Houston for the next 5 years or so. Houston would rather schedule a guaranteed win than a potential upset.

Or they may just not want to play in the dump we currently have for a stadium.

Not necessarily. They may be well aware that if we ever get our act together, North Texas has the resources to quickly reach the top half of 1-A football. Texas State and UTSA may get there eventually, but they ought to be pretty well a guaranteed win for Houston for the next 5 years or so. Houston would rather schedule a guaranteed win than a potential upset.

Or they may just not want to play in the dump we currently have for a stadium.

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif ROTFLOL

You must censored.gif crazy.

I give you a thumbsup.gif for your belief.

But in the real world NT is going to bebangin.gif for a long time before it is ever more than a blink.gif in Big boy football.

• Downvote 3

laugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.giflaugh.gif ROTFLOL

You must censored.gif crazy.

I give you a thumbsup.gif for your belief.

But in the real world NT is going to bebangin.gif for a long time before it is ever more than a blink.gif in Big boy football.

I'm sure that many of the Boise (and Frog) faithful were saying that same thing not too many years ago. You just never know, and with the new stadium and upgraded staff, we shall see.

• Upvote 2