2007 V 2010 Mean Green Basketball Team

UNT90

The 2007 teams was 11-7 in conference, with some really nice OOC victories. They were not a top three seed in the conference tournament and did not win the west division. They were a dark horse in the conference tournament that ended up the winner, but did not have to go through a #1 seed. They were a 14 seed that played a great 1st half against a very good Memphis team in the NCAAs. Some may feel that this makes the 2007 that much more special.

The 2010 squad is western confernece champs and will have 24 wins with a victory tomorrow. They are 13-5 in conference play and tied for the best record in conference. With a win tomorrow, the 2010 team would have beaten the so-called conference champion on the road and at a neutral site. With a touch of luck, the 2010 team will end up with a 14 seed. I think this makes them my favorite over the 2007 team. With a win tomorrow, I think there will be a lot of publicity about the conference co-championship and tourney win throughout the metroplex.

Of course, this is all assuming we win tomorrow.biggrin.gif

2007 team was 10-8 in conference, not 11-7. We were the 5 seed, but were probably better than that record indicated(I believe the best record in the conference was 12-6 that season....it was kinda like this year....a bunch of evenly matched teams).

We were a 15 seed, not a 14 in the NCAA's

Even if this team loses tomorrow, after tonight, I believe this is JJ's best team. It might not be remembered as such by history considering we wouldn't have won the Post season tournament. If we win there's no doubt.

I was thinking about this last night. The one thing the 2007 team had going during the tournament was hot 3-point shooting from Calvin W. & a hot big man in KDub. The other guys were playing well, but I think these 2 guys carried them. The 2009 team is more "balanced" and more athletic when compared to the '07 Tourney team, IMO. However, I still think that 2007 team at it's hottest during the Toruney could beat the current team......

Edited by Got5onIt
  • Upvote 2

2007 team was 10-8 in conference, not 11-7. We were the 5 seed, but were probably better than that record indicated(I believe the best record in the conference was 12-6 that season....it was kinda like this year....a bunch of evenly matched teams).

We were a 15 seed, not a 14 in the NCAA's

Even if this team loses tomorrow, after tonight, I believe this is JJ's best team. It might not be remembered as such by history considering we wouldn't have won the Post season tournament. If we win there's no doubt.

Please excuse the mistakes. I was going strictly off of memory, which is never a good idea these days.

I never considered the 2007 team actually playing the 2010 team. Interesting. I think the 2007 team would probably win the heads up competition. What does that mean? To me, it means the 2010 team has gotten more out of it's talent so far. But they gotta win tonight to even make the comparison.

I wasn't meaning to criticize UNT90. :)

I think that the '07 team might have had more talent in the starting five, but I don't think it's as deep. Not by any stretch. I also think this team has more, for lack of a better term, winners.

The 2006-2007 team played in tons of close games. We won slightly more than half of them. We couldn't buy a win on the road in conference for around 5 weeks of the season. This team wins close games(it's rather amazing how good our record is in those decided by 5 or less), wins on the road, & plays smarter(IMHO).

I loved Ben Bell too CBL. I think I'd take Josh White over him tho. He's become leaps and bounds better at running the point that he ever used to be. He's no mere scorer anymore.

I'd take Watson and Davis over Tristan/Shorter however.

Edited by CMJ

I loved Ben Bell too CBL. I think I'd take Josh White over him tho. He's become leaps and bounds better at running the point that he ever used to be. He's no mere scorer anymore.

I'd take Watson and Davis over Tristan/Shorter however.

I thought Josh looked uncomfortable at times last night, and I was thinking - especially in the 2nd half - this guy really does need to be at the 2.

I guess it's just me.

Bell also looked out of sorts against a zone at times. When you're used to going against man to man, it's probably unsettling. Not to mention Denver's style of play in general probably disrupts your flow. Josh has now been the starting PG in like four straight wins over Denver. I don't think anyone else in conference comes close.

Edited by CMJ

I thought Josh looked uncomfortable at times last night, and I was thinking - especially in the 2nd half - this guy really does need to be at the 2.

I guess it's just me.

I don't think he's uncomfortable , I think he's just getting a bit tired. JJ doesn't trust anyone else to bring the ball up the court and Josh had to work hard for every dribble he got. I contribute it more to tired legs/pressure

If both teams are 100% healthy I take the 2010 team heads up. DJ there to run the point and the 4 bigs (not including Knox) that we could throw at Q and KDub would give 2010 an advantage. And I'm surprised anyone could favor 2007 given how this current team gets to the line and converts.

• Downvote 1

What are everyones thoughts on Mangrum in a mirror match with his 2007 self and who would win between Knox and Howerton?

I'll bite.

Haven't seen enough of Knox, but the little I have seen makes me think he has better hands than Howerton. Plus I don't think Knox would pass it to a ref with 7 seconds left in the game then have to chase it to keep it from going out of bounds.

2010 Mangrum hands down! That guy is a platinum sparkplug!