So, Im browsing the internet movie database to see some of the movies that are coming out this year. There are going to be some good ones, but Hollywood is running out of ideas, so there are inevitibly some remarkes. The biggest shocker is Red Dawn. Really?! Why in the hell is this movie being remade? What could possibly be a good reason?

For those who have somehow never seen it; it was an '80's movie in which the USSR, Cuba, and China (I think) united to invade the USA. The movie takes place in rural Colorado where Soviet paratroopers invade a small Colorado town. A group of high school kids form a guerilla fighting gruop and take on the bad guys.

It was marginally ominous and scary in the 1980's when the Cold War was still an issue. The thing that made it dark is that not everyone comes out hunky dory. That being said, there is one problem, the Cold War has been over for 20 years. There is no reason to remake this movie. And its not going to have Patrick Swayze to save it.

Oh well, at least The Last Airbender looks sweet.

Writers aren't running out of ideas....the execs that greenlight projects just aren't willing to take big chances. So they think --

"Remake of an older movie I remember? Brilliant!"

And then they hire some writer who needs a gig to take a shot at updating the story. Then they bring in a few other guys to polish the script - which then feels like it's been taken in several different directions(because it has been) and you get what you get.

(Wannabe screenwriter rant)

My only point was it's not that Hollywood is running out if ideas(which is also crap - Hollywood has been remaking movies for like 80 years now), there's alot of original voices out there - trust me I worked in a Literary Management agency for awhile. The studios are just hesitant about taking shots on new ideas if they think they have a guaranteed moneymaker.

I'm not particularly fond of alot of remakes(not counting something like Batman Begins a remake because it's more of a re-imagining than a pure remake), but the big shots doling out the cash think they're less of a risk - hence why you get alot of classic movies/franchises being remade.

Edited by CMJ

war flick = guy flick = $$$

how many more times must we endure the allies beating up on the japanese....by producer "roudy yates," or watch inglorious bastards, valkarie or surf nazis must die?

chick flick = you and your better half holding hands in the movie and crying at the end while sharing all you can eat popcorn and milk duds. that way you can both share your feelings when you get home.

try the eulesseagle way......sneak in a half pint, buy a large coke with lots of ice and go watch an animated movie. after the movie...... all you can eat pizza.

• Upvote 1

try the eulesseagle way......sneak in a half pint, buy a large coke with lots of ice and go watch an animated movie. after the movie...... all you can eat pizza.

+1, but also oddly similar to the Paul Reubens way.

• Upvote 1

I'm thinking that the remake won't have the bad guys collecting all of the citizens guns by going to the gun stores and pulling the gun registration forms. That would just be soooo politically incorrect in the current Hollywood.

Loved the 1st "Red Dawn". Scared of the remake.

I was waiting to do another post on the new Karate Kid. It might have been more acceptable if it was an open casting call for the lead. But the movie is produced by the Smiths, thus, the only person suitable is Jaden. The original worked becuase it had a teenager who was trying to find himself. How are they going to redo the script? Im not giving any money for this one, but I may sneak in to see how bad its going to be.

• Downvote 3

I was waiting to do another post on the new Karate Kid. It might have been more acceptable if it was an open casting call for the lead. But the movie is produced by the Smiths, thus, the only person suitable is Jaden. The original worked becuase it had a teenager who was trying to find himself. How are they going to redo the script? Im not giving any money for this one, but I may sneak in to see how bad its going to be.

This new Karate Kid sounds too dark for my tastes.

For those who have somehow never seen it; it was an '80's movie in which the USSR, Cuba, and China (I think) united to invade the USA. The movie takes place in rural Colorado where Soviet paratroopers invade a small Colorado town. A group of high school kids form a guerilla fighting gruop and take on the bad guys.

One slight correction on your synopsis:

Matt: "Well, who is on our side?"

Col. Tanner: "Six hundred million screamin' Chinamen."

Darryl: "Well, last I heard, there were a billion screamin' Chinamen."

Col. Tanner: "There were."