The Real Story ?

greeneagle69

This could get ugly if they try to dismiss Leach:

In February, Leach and Tech agreed to a five-year, $12.7 million deal that could keep him at the school through 2013.

The contract includes a $250,000 bonus if Leach and Tech win the national championship, a $75,000 bonus if Tech participates in a BCS bowl and a $50,000 bonus if Leach is picked as national coach of the year

If Tech terminates the contract, the school must pay Leach $400,000 for each year remaining on the agreement. There is no buyout amount.

This could get ugly if they try to dismiss Leach:

The whole thing appears to be silly, that the kid was complaining about bright lights so they suggested a dark area to him.

I am not sure how sitting in a closet is dangerous to someones health or abusive.

The whole thing appears to be silly, that the kid was complaining about bright lights so they suggested a dark area to him.

I am not sure how sitting in a closet is dangerous to someones health or abusive.

Thanks for the expert diagnosis, Doc. Please pass your observations on to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons so they can update their guidelines (one week on the sidelines after the mildest (Grade 1) concussion). These brain surgeon know-it-alls have been pressuring coaches to baby these so-called head injuries for far too long. It's about time they realized it's a tough game and only whiners report concussions. Hopefully, Leach's mature and professional treatment of the James kid has encouraged all the other players to suck it up and not tell any coach or trainer that they saw stars or couldn't remember what day it was after a big hit. Only slackers would even contemplate accepting any bench time just because some quack recommends it. I just hope that North Texas' coaches are wise to this concussion ruse and take a page from Leach's playbook.

Remember, twenty years from now, it won't matter that a player suffered a permanent and totally preventable brain injury by getting a much riskier second or third concussion. It will only matter that he was dressed out and hitting for one additional week when he was 19 or 20.

Thanks for the expert diagnosis, Doc. Please pass your observations on to the American Association of Neurological Surgeons so they can update their guidelines (one week on the sidelines after the mildest (Grade 1) concussion). These brain surgeon know-it-alls have been pressuring coaches to baby these so-called head injuries for far too long. It's about time they realized it's a tough game and only whiners report concussions. Hopefully, Leach's mature and professional treatment of the James kid has encouraged all the other players to suck it up and not tell any coach or trainer that they saw stars or couldn't remember what day it was after a big hit. Only slackers would even contemplate accepting any bench time just because some quack recommends it. I just hope that North Texas' coaches are wise to this concussion ruse and take a page from Leach's playbook.

Remember, twenty years from now, it won't matter that a player suffered a permanent and totally preventable brain injury by getting a much riskier second or third concussion. It will only matter that he was dressed out and hitting for one additional week when he was 19 or 20.

Maybe you should read up on what happened first, just an idea, because so you are way off base. But thanks for the lecture.

Maybe you should read up on what happened first, just an idea, because so you are way off base. But thanks for the lecture.

Kid suffers a concussion on Dec. 16. Shows up at practice Dec. 17 in sunglasses after being cleared for some activity but not strenuous exercise by the company doctor. Leach thinks the kid is faking and asks what he's able to do. He's told the kid is on light duty only. Leach is ticked off by the kid's sunglasses, which he takes as a sign of disrespect, and orders him shut in a dark room, along the lines of, you don't like light? OK, how will you like the dark? Kid is told if he leaves the room he's off the team. Leach repeats it the next day.

Leach's attorney confirms that Leach thinks the kid's a faker. Attorney says the kid is just a malcontent unhappy with his playing time. Says nothing suggesting that this dark confinement was done on the doctor's recommendation to help him avoid light. The action comes across as a disciplinary move, not a medical one.

Effect of said action, whether intended or not, is clearly to intimidate other players who might report concussions.

Tech president and TT System chancellor, regents chairman and regents vice chairman approve the suspension in full knowledge that Leach is the winningest FB coach in Tech history and that getting rid of him would cost the school millions.

I think I've pretty much read up on what happened.

Kid suffers a concussion on Dec. 16. Shows up at practice Dec. 17 in sunglasses after being cleared for some activity but not strenuous exercise by the company doctor. Leach thinks the kid is faking and asks what he's able to do. He's told the kid is on light duty only. Leach is ticked off by the kid's sunglasses, which he takes as a sign of disrespect, and orders him shut in a dark room, along the lines of, you don't like light? OK, how will you like the dark? Kid is told if he leaves the room he's off the team. Leach repeats it the next day.

Leach's attorney confirms that Leach thinks the kid's a faker. Attorney says the kid is just a malcontent unhappy with his playing time. Says nothing suggesting that this dark confinement was done on the doctor's recommendation to help him avoid light. The action comes across as a disciplinary move, not a medical one.

Effect of said action, whether intended or not, is clearly to intimidate other players who might report concussions.

Tech president and TT System chancellor, regents chairman and regents vice chairman approve the suspension in full knowledge that Leach is the winningest FB coach in Tech history and that getting rid of him would cost the school millions.

I think I've pretty much read up on what happened.

OR... James has an attitude problem and the coach was making an example of THAT problem, not having anything to do with "trying to intimidate other players not to report concussions."

Thing is, we were not there, so we do not know. So coming out so preachery (is that a word?) makes it look like: A. You hate Leach; or B. You love James.

Do you know James or Leach?

In today's times, a school cannot be to careful when dealing with head injuries. LaSalle University settle a suit this fall for almost $2 million. Several years ago, a player suffered a concussion. Then he played I think in the next game. He received another head injury which left him with a permanent disability. The settlement was out of court or likely would have been much more. With knowledge of things like this, administrators would be reckless not to take them seriously. I don't know if the James is a goldbrick or not, but if I am President of TT I would be on Leach like a tick on a dog or maybe more fittingly a leech.

OR... James has an attitude problem and the coach was making an example of THAT problem, not having anything to do with "trying to intimidate other players not to report concussions."

Thing is, we were not there, so we do not know. So coming out so preachery (is that a word?) makes it look like: A. You hate Leach; or B. You love James.

Do you know James or Leach?

I think preachery sounds like an excellent word.

There's no speculation or personal opinion in what I posted. All of it has been reported by multiple sources. I knew nothing of this situation until I read up on it. I do admit I'm not neutral on concussions. I'm against them.

I've never been to Lubbock, have been to a grand total of one Tech game (the one against UNT at Texas Stadium some years back) and care absolutely nothing about Leach or Tech. I may have been through Celina once, but I wouldn't know Craig or Adam James if I saw them at the mall. I couldn't tell you what Craig James looks or sounds like on TV if I had to. He's a nonentity to me.

I don't doubt that the Jameses and Leach don't get along. Many people and Leach don't get along. However, the strongest evidence that this is more than a personality dispute and is not within the norms of team discipline is that the university and the TT system were willing to risk millions of dollars, the wrath of alumni, and very bad national publicity on the certainty and justification of their position -- not something to be done lightly. They are the ones with more of the story than most and did not conclude that this was an overblown dustup between a couple of knuckleheads. More like an example of unacceptable and unprofessional conduct by their employee that they could not tolerate. So rather than do the expected and wimpy thing and close ranks around their star coach on the eve of a bowl game, postponing any unpleasantness until off-season when people aren't paying attention, they hitched up their trousers.

Not claiming that's proof of the facts of the case. Just saying it's a telltale sign that at least in the view of the Tech/TT System leadership, who had a week to let this sit in their stomachs before they did the deed, Leach's actions were not trivial.

• Upvote 1

I think you are missing what many of the TT students have already confirmed is that Leach likes his injured players near the team during practice to stay part of the team. Evidently James could not stay outside for the sun was hurting his slight concussion or less. He was not trying to force him to practice as implied by the dangerous health concerns. So he was taken inside. I think the point of the problem was the sunglasses and the excuses to not be near the team.

I don't take TT's decision to mean much either way, he was suspended with pay, and last year he had a very strained to say the least relationship with the school over his contract. With a concussion and the press, TT giving Leach a suspension was just a reaction at this point. One that may get them sued.

To me this one really sounds that of a spoiled kiddo so far.

I would like to see what this so-called "shed or electrical closet or building (as Leach's lawyer says)" looks like. I think Tech will make Leach "walk the plank!" :pirate:

Leach, James' reputations on line amid allegations of mistreatment

(According to a source with knowledge of Tech's facilities, the room in question is the size of a garage.)

I think preachery sounds like an excellent word.

There's no speculation or personal opinion in what I posted. All of it has been reported by multiple sources. I knew nothing of this situation until I read up on it. I do admit I'm not neutral on concussions. I'm against them.

I've never been to Lubbock, have been to a grand total of one Tech game (the one against UNT at Texas Stadium some years back) and care absolutely nothing about Leach or Tech. I may have been through Celina once, but I wouldn't know Craig or Adam James if I saw them at the mall. I couldn't tell you what Craig James looks or sounds like on TV if I had to. He's a nonentity to me.

I don't doubt that the Jameses and Leach don't get along. Many people and Leach don't get along. However, the strongest evidence that this is more than a personality dispute and is not within the norms of team discipline is that the university and the TT system were willing to risk millions of dollars, the wrath of alumni, and very bad national publicity on the certainty and justification of their position -- not something to be done lightly. They are the ones with more of the story than most and did not conclude that this was an overblown dustup between a couple of knuckleheads. More like an example of unacceptable and unprofessional conduct by their employee that they could not tolerate. So rather than do the expected and wimpy thing and close ranks around their star coach on the eve of a bowl game, postponing any unpleasantness until off-season when people aren't paying attention, they hitched up their trousers.

Not claiming that's proof of the facts of the case. Just saying it's a telltale sign that at least in the view of the Tech/TT System leadership, who had a week to let this sit in their stomachs before they did the deed, Leach's actions were not trivial.

OR... Texas Tech is using a hot button issue to get rid of an employee with whom they are fed up. Wouldn't be the 1st time an organization used this type of thing to rid themselves of a headache of an employee. It's clear that Leach doesn't care who he offends and thinks he is bigger than the AD and the President, which, by the way, lends more credibility to his side of the story (why would he lie? He thinks he is untouchable). I have very good sources (former students close to the program) that tell me Leach has some Billy Gillespie-type issues.

Either way, I would love to be a fly on the wall in Judge William Sowder's courtroom tomorrow (he is a TAM grad, Baylor law guy). That is when a good portion of this story may be told.

OR... Texas Tech is using a hot button issue to get rid of an employee with whom they are fed up. Wouldn't be the 1st time an organization used this type of thing to rid themselves of a headache of an employee.

the prez and chancellor suspended him and probably wish his bad manners would leave town before they involve tech in too many more complaints against the school.

Let me see - get rid of one whining student who is riding daddy's coat tails and has put CJ in an interesting light or

Get rid of the man who made you completely relevant in the college football world.

Seems like an easy decision to me.

Guns UP!

It looks like Texas Monthly is getting into this thing.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2010-01-01/webextra.php

The author takes a pro-Leach stance. On top of that, the fans (the comments) seem to overwhelmingly support the Captain

I like this article and this is how the whole Leach/James thing appears to me from everything I have read. I think James is a cry baby, maybe I am wrong but the Toes know.

Edited by KingDL1

It looks like Texas Monthly is getting into this thing.

http://www.texasmonthly.com/2010-01-01/webextra.php

The author takes a pro-Leach stance. On top of that, the fans (the comments) seem to overwhelmingly support the Captain

This article goes hand in hand with what I have heard about this kid from someone whose son used to play on a team with James. The fact that James had been previously disciplined and that his daddy was griping about playing time like a little league dad throw up a huge red flag in this whole deal.

Maybe daddy can get him the same payment plan that daddy got from SMU. Craig James, program killer.