Fight Song / School Song

Sound_Man

You guys are a joke. Students are not saying MF eagles to disrespect our school. I know it's hard for y'all to remotely comprehend this but something as little as chanting this does give a boost of energy to the students. I know the exact person who first started this a few years ago, and guess what he was the most die hard fan there was, traveling to multiple away games every year .Times have changed, accept it. You guys beg for the students to come in the game, well how bout just be happy we're there rooting for the team. Are the artsy fartsy nerd students ever going to come to the games? In large part no, so be grateful for what students are there. We havnt had a good product on the field in almost a decade, geeze let us have a little fun at the games.. It's already hard enough to come and stay through the games, now with all you complaining..come on. I understand the school needs the support from alumni, but you had your time as an undergrad, let us have ours. I love this school and will do anything to support it, but come on there are much more worse things to worry about. And don't give me that immature and growing up to do crap..I'll be just fine without your life lessons.

GMG

I don't think anyone said the students' intent was to disrespect the school. They just said they find it disrespectful, regardless of why the group of students did it.

Edited by UNT 90 Grad
  • Upvote 3

You guys are a joke. Students are not saying MF eagles to disrespect our school. I know it's hard for y'all to remotely comprehend this but something as little as chanting this does give a boost of energy to the students. I know the exact person who first started this a few years ago, and guess what he was the most die hard fan there was, traveling to multiple away games every year .Times have changed, accept it. You guys beg for the students to come in the game, well how bout just be happy we're there rooting for the team. Are the artsy fartsy nerd students ever going to come to the games? In large part no, so be grateful for what students are there. We havnt had a good product on the field in almost a decade, geeze let us have a little fun at the games.. It's already hard enough to come and stay through the games, now with all you complaining..come on. I understand the school needs the support from alumni, but you had your time as an undergrad, let us have ours. I love this school and will do anything to support it, but come on there are much more worse things to worry about. And don't give me that immature and growing up to do crap..I'll be just fine without your life lessons.

GMG

Sir, the joke is clearly on you. And part of the joke is that you don't even realize it!

• Upvote 7

GMG

No one is saying that the students inserted this to intentionally disrespect the school/song. That would make no sense at all.

BUT, by adding it, however much fun it may be for you to yell it, you have disrespected the song.

Find a different song for an insertion like that. There's always "Fly Like an Eagle", or the 3rd Down Fanfare.

You know, the students also recently added the "WHO?!?" into the Alma Mater. I don't particularly care for it because it will be antiquated soon when everyone knows who we are, but it's not a big deal... maybe because it's not an expletive... Sorry, I'm probably just an old fart.

You and the other students on here that are trying to say the alumni are shunning/targeting you cannot be more wrong. Most of us are very happy you're here (at UNT, at Apogee, and on GMG.com) and want you guys to make a ton of noise, make Apogee a killer place to watch a football game, and a nightmare for opposing teams to play.

But us old farts like what few traditions we have to be left alone if they're not going to be STRENGTHENED. I'm sorry, but adding an expletive is not strengthening the Fight Song.

Writing an MF'ing editorial to the MF'ing Daily about an MF'ing boycott to Saturday's MF'ing game because all the MF'ing alumni don't appreciate the MF'ing current students and how they started a new MF'ing tradtion by improving our MF'ing fight song?

Count me MF'ing out.

I'm Darrell Dickey, and I approve this message.

• Upvote 2

GMG

If I could give you a thousand times +1, I would.

• Downvote 2

If I could give you a thousand times +1, I would.

Look, I disagree with you. That being said, if you're going to do it, at least you're at the games. I'm not an old fart either, unless you think 37 is old.

Bottom line is, you can say F'ity F'n - F all you want, I will bring earplugs for my kids I guess. Please continue to come to games. I love you man. Your filthy sailor mouth and all man.

It's cool to disagree - I just better see your happy ass on the alumni side after you graduate or we gonna have problems.

How about this? If you want the fight song changed back to normal: At a UNT game, when the Green Brigade starts playing it, start singing, when the short version ends, keep singing it as you normally would, no matter what they play, or when they play it. And make sure it's loud, so that they can hear it. It might not do much, but it's worth a try.

You guys are STILL fighting over this? I'm sorry to say, but if the UH alumni were like the UNT alumni. We wouldn't have this

or

<---A bunch of Coogs at a Dallas bar did the Coogs house chant. The alumni and admin loved the idea of the new gen coming up with Coogs House, that now all Freshmen are taught it at orientation because it is now a tradition.

or

http://www.youtube.com/watch?NR=1&feature=endscreen&v=EwMVK8qnWlc

or

the student section also does the "U-H UH!" chant (with pelvic thrusts, which definitely would cause the alumni to go apeshit if UNT students were to do this)

Everything, I posted above are traditions formed in the last 10 or so years. Please don't discourage the students.

We also remixed the end of our fight song towards the end and the alumni love it. They understand that the new generation will come in and add onto the traditions. Like I mentioned earlier, I agree that the MFing doesn't need to be said in the fight song but attacking the students for partying at the Hill is just a recipe for suppressing tradition and hurting overall student support for generations.

I remember a poster on here once said something along the lines of, they rather have 10,000 fans/students who are "classy" and "respected traditions" than 40-50,000 "classless, Texas Tech-like" fans. I'll find the quote and show it to you guys.

This Student-Alumni war needs to STOP and STOP NOW.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 1
  • Downvote 8

You need to stay in Houston.

The truth hurts. In a war like the one going on between the students and alumni, nobody wins. I went to UNT for 2 years, I understand a lot where the students are coming from, using conventional wisdom and character analysis along with empathy, I can see where the alumni are coming from too. There needs to be at the very least, a compromise.

• Downvote 9

The truth hurts. In a war like the one going on between the students and alumni, nobody wins. I went to UNT for 2 years, I understand a lot where the students are coming from, using conventional wisdom and character analysis along with empathy, I can see where the alumni are coming from too. There needs to be at the very least, a compromise.

Do you really have so little of a life that you must continue showing your rear end on our board? Seriously, did you get kicked off the Houston board or did your mother tell you to go pester some other folks after you make your bed? Get a grip man, you really have nothing to talk about. No one considers Houston anything but a lower level D1 program and you know it. Go away and make a fool out of yourself on your own board. And, tell your mom hello for us as you leave your bedroom tomorrow morning.

• Upvote 1

What truth? You need to learn reading comprehension. Nobody is trying to keep North Texas students down. We just prefer not putting MF in the fight song. That's it. Have fun, fill the stands, be crazy, etc. .. Nobody ia stopping them from doing anything else.

Now I have grown tired of fans from other schools coming on here and telling us how to act. Take your drivel to either the UH of Big Least board.

• Upvote 2

Now I have grown tired of fans from other schools coming on here and telling us how to act. Take your drivel to either the UH of Big Least board.

You can't reason with people who have an unhealthy obsession like this, though. Dude's hung up on North Texas, heck, and more than many alumni. Cougar King is a loyal North Texas fan, no doubt about it.

• Upvote 1

You can't reason with people who have an unhealthy obsession like this, though. Dude's hung up on North Texas, heck, and more than many alumni. Cougar King is a loyal North Texas fan, no doubt about it.

I used to be diehard UNT until I got on GMG. Now, I'm becoming a diehard Coog instead.

No one considers Houston anything but a lower level D1 program and you know it.

Then why were we a Top 10 team at one time last year? Why did we get a 5 star receiver to decommit from Notre Dame to come to Houston? Why are most of our recruits this year high 3 stars? Then why are our recruits picking us over multiple BCS offers? Then why are we heading to an AQ conference next season? Why do we bring anywhere from 28-32,000 fans a game which UNT has NEVER had before? If we're such a low-level program, the why have we given you back to back 40+ point beatdowns? If we're a low-level program despite what I mention above, then what does that make UNT?

Think about what you post before you post it Grandpa.

Edited by Cougar King
  • Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

I used to be diehard UNT until I got on GMG. Now, I'm becoming a diehard Coog instead.

Then why were we a Top 10 team at one time last year? Why did we get a 5 star receiver to decommit from Notre Dame to come to Houston? Why are most of our recruits this year high 3 stars? Then why are our recruits picking us over multiple BCS offers? Then why are we heading to an AQ conference next season? Why do we bring anywhere from 28-32,000 fans a game which UNT has NEVER had before? If we're such a low-level program, the why have we given you back to back 40+ point beatdowns? If we're a low-level program despite what I mention above, then what does that make UNT?

Why are you on GMG and why are we not on your fan board? point set match

• Upvote 4

Did your mommy let you out to play again? Are you sure you cleaned your room and made your bed first?

And if you think calling me Grandpa is some put down...well, I love it when my two little grandsons call me that. So...big fail for you there, Kid. Tell your mommy hi for us and don't let the door hit you in the rear end on your way to Houston. The arm pit that is U of H will never be anything but small time and you know it or you would not have to keep trying to convince another school's message board fans that it is something more. Go away and talk to folks who will agree with you in that slop hole that is U of H. And it's message board.

Did your mommy let you out to play again? Are you sure you cleaned your room and made your bed first?

And if you think calling me Grandpa is some put down...well, I love it when my two little grandsons call me that. So...big fail for you there, Kid. Tell your mommy hi for us and don't let the door hit you in the rear end on your way to Houston. The arm pit that is U of H will never be anything but small time and you know it or you would not have to keep trying to convince another school's message board fans that it is something more. Go away and talk to folks who will agree with you in that slop hole that is U of H. And it's message board.

I like how you dodged all of my questions. Game. Set. Match.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

UNT barely have any fans as it is. I don't think you guys are any position to criticize anybody who comes to the games, especially over a fight song of all things. It's not like they are doing anything illegal anyway.

God help us...Cougar King's evil twin has now found a need to post on our board. Do other schools have such boring boards that they just are not keeping their kids at home? Geeeeezzzzzzz! FroggyStyle....most of us think you guys are doing something right in Ft. Worth these days....don't press your luck by playing the fool for Cougar King.

• Upvote 1