Mitch- Tell Us About Your Freshman

Mo Green

I would love to know what they have to say, and anticipate the same recycled replies on this debate:

The comparison is not the same, because Riley has been playing this offense his entire life.

The comparison is the same, because Riley has not played against college defensive schemes until this year.

Riley is Romo.

Riley is not Romo.

Do you like pie?

We're just not that funny.

HAHA!

I would love to know what they have to say, and anticipate the same recycled replies on this debate:

The comparison is not the same, because Riley has been playing this offense his entire life.

The comparison is the same, because Riley has not played against college defensive schemes until this year.

Riley is Romo.

Riley is not Romo.

Do you like pie?

We're just not that funny.

HAHA!

I think the comparison is kinda the same but also different in some ways.

If Riley is Romo(I hope he is) then Tune is Kitna and the others are Stephen McGee. Everyone knows playing Kitna/McGee does nothing but spin the wheels in the mud.

I like Pumpkin, Apple, Pecan, and Chicken Pot Pie.

Speak for yourself, I made the Top Ten.

Did you just remember a Funny Joke?

Edited by Green P1

Hey Everybody,

It's hard to remember that far back! But, I can tell you that our team wasn't very good, and I was WORSE. Honestly, vast improvements began when Coach Dodge came along my sophomore and junior seasons.

Give Riley some time to develop. He will only get better and better. Also, it's not all about the physical tools, though he's got them—it's about leadership and competitive fire. I like to think those two led to my improvement throughout my career. Riley's got them both and will keep pushing himself and his teammates to greater feats.

P.S. Having said all of that, I will be looking to hire someone a la Tonya Harding's crew if he gets too close to my records!!

Take care, and let's go Mean Green.

Mitch Maher

Hey Everybody,

It's hard to remember that far back! But, I can tell you that our team wasn't very good, and I was WORSE. Honestly, vast improvements began when Coach Dodge came along my sophomore and junior seasons.

Give Riley some time to develop. He will only get better and better. Also, it's not all about the physical tools, though he's got them—it's about leadership and competitive fire. I like to think those two led to my improvement throughout my career. Riley's got them both and will keep pushing himself and his teammates to greater feats.

P.S. Having said all of that, I will be looking to hire someone a la Tonya Harding's crew if he gets too close to my records!!

Mitch Maher

Since I had to put up those dang nets with a duct-taped box everyday for you to hit when Coach Karcher was here and you were a freshman, I would tell you that , yes, the next year under Dodge, as a soph, your improvement was huge. Of course, not having to put up those stupid nets everyday once coach Dodge got there and actually seeing you throw to people instead may be clouding my view!! Seriously, it was night and day seeing how comfortable you got with a year under your belt!!

Hey Everybody,

Mitch Maher

Mitch always good to hear from you!

Just passing along a story. Not sure if it's really relevant or not.

For two years, I was one of the tutors for the Athletic Department. They plunked me down in the Willis basement level and athletes would come get help if they wanted it. Not many did frankly. One that did was Cedric Cromer, a sometimes used Halfback/Hback (some of you might remember his epic 98-yard TD run against Idaho State that won the game. The run must have taken 30 minutes, but he got there).

Once, we were talking about Mitch (who had graduated the year prior) and what made him such a good quarterback. I threw out the regular cliches: tight spiral, good decisions, mobility, etc. Obviously, I didn't know jack about the game.

Cedrick said: "That's bull. There's thousands of guys who have all that. The thing with Mitch is, when he gets in the huddle, looks at the offense and says 'We are going to march down the field and score,' you just believed him. No doubt. That's what made him so good."

Take it for what it's worth. No statistics, Lombardi quotes, claims of authenticity cause "I once scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High." Just seemed like a good place to tell that story.

Just passing along a story. Not sure if it's really relevant or not.

For two years, I was one of the tutors for the Athletic Department. They plunked me down in the Willis basement level and athletes would come get help if they wanted it. Not many did frankly. One that did was Cedric Cromer, a sometimes used Halfback/Hback (some of you might remember his epic 98-yard TD run against Idaho State that won the game. The run must have taken 30 minutes, but he got there).

Once, we were talking about Mitch (who had graduated the year prior) and what made him such a good quarterback. I threw out the regular cliches: tight spiral, good decisions, mobility, etc. Obviously, I didn't know jack about the game.

Cedrick said: "That's bull. There's thousands of guys who have all that. The thing with Mitch is, when he gets in the huddle, looks at the offense and says 'We are going to march down the field and score,' you just believed him. No doubt. That's what made him so good."

Take it for what it's worth. No statistics, Lombardi quotes, claims of authenticity cause "I once scored 4 touchdowns in one game for Polk High." Just seemed like a good place to tell that story.

As the only member of this board to have sacked the only QB in NFL history to pass for 300 yards in his first two starts, twice in one game. Kevin Kolb, 1996, Bridgeport Vikings vs. Decatur Chiefs.

That being said, I completely appreciate your story.

Edited by Green P1

I don't remember much about Mitch's first year except for the fact that he came in at 1/2 time versus the 6th ranked OU. How's that for baptism by fire!

Hey GMoney,

Actually I didn't. I was redshirted for the first three games. After the third, a terrible loss to Nevada Reno, I was told I was going to compete with Wendel (spelling?) the following week. They said they would grade every play and every throw. The winner would start. So, I won the competition that week, and my first start was against Southwest Missouri at home. I played fairly well, and we tied them. Wish I could have played that well the rest of the season!

Mitch Maher

My bad, I guess I'm losing my memory in my old age. I remember Wendel throwing about 3 or 4 ints in the first half and I thought you came in in the 2nd half. Probably better you didn't, our QBs ran for their lives the entire game!

GMoney,

Actually you are thinking of Scott Davis, who came in a half-time in the 1987 game against OU (I was painting a fence and listening to the game on radio). He actually moved the team quite well, though we still ended up losing 60-14. Still, the OU radio announcers were impressed with him.

Hey GMoney,

Actually I didn't. I was redshirted for the first three games. After the third, a terrible loss to Nevada Reno, I was told I was going to compete with Wendel (spelling?) the following week. They said they would grade every play and every throw. The winner would start. So, I won the competition that week, and my first start was against Southwest Missouri at home. I played fairly well, and we tied them. Wish I could have played that well the rest of the season!

Mitch Maher

I know I owe Mitch s huge thank you. I did a feature on him for the Plano Star Courier after the Southwest Missouri. That was the first story, outside of stringing HS Football, that I actually got paid for ($40). I used that clip to get my job with Belo. So I guess I owe my sports writing career to the great, I mean great as a person and football player, Mitch Maher.

Thanks Mitch,

Brett Tulloss