Chanting Obscenities?

untStein

i am not trying to sound like the "old guy" here because the good lord know that i have made my share of stupid decisions. HOWEVER, tonight i sat on the student side and let me say that I have been to games at OU, Texas, A&M, Notre Dame, Cotton Bowl, etc... and I have NEVER heard more foul language coming from a group of fans in my life. I can handle some cussing and I have been know to do it myself but what was being said on our student side was not only foul but it was embarassing for our whole university. it wasn't a bunch of kids yelling "damn". it was our students yelling "f*** you Ohio" while one of their players lay in the middle of the field injured. i hope that none of you were subjected to it and I implore you, if you have children at the game, DO NOT take them to the student side.

I will have to say though, they embarassed the alumni with the amount of students that came out tonight!

yup... I've always enjoyed sitting on the student side and have continued to do so, but I told my wife on the way home those days are over as a result of what went on in the student section tonight.

...the Ohio team WAS taunting the student section when they started the chant, but it is still TOTALLY unexcusable.

I was very disappointed in the students this evening, in light of how much heart the team showed. I admire the fire, which I haven't ever really seen our of our students, but this was simply unacceptable.

I sat on the student side and the foul language and dirty chants occured late in the game... Especially in the OT.

Students were frustrated cause they were hungry, rain soaked and probably horny... lol..

Defiantely have to give it to these students though, they showed up and whats most shocking is they stayed until the end.

well and i wanted to make a point here too. i think a lot of times there can be an overreaction to events like this. sometimes there is one bad culprit and so the whole group gets blamed. i wish this was the case. THIS WASN'T JUST ONE GROUP OF STUDENTS. i heard several different groups througout the student section. they were yelling for Riley when he was obviously hurt. they were telling Ohio players to get off their fat a** and telling them what they wanted to do to their mothers.... it was just absolutely disgusting. i will be contacting Bonita Jacobs office on Monday via email and tell her that school officials need to be present on the student side during games. i was absolutely embarassed tonight

I'd rather have a rowdy student side yelling obscenties, than an alumni section 3/4ths empty and mostly sitting on their hands all game.

Well, I can do without the obscenties (thankfully I did NOT bring my kids to the game tonight). However, even though I have season tickets, your last sentence is EXACTLY why I sit on the other side with the students. I'd rather be loud & stand than be around people sitting on their hands all game & getting mad because people are standing. Better atmosphere on the student side!

Edited by vpackrats

Well, I can do without the obscenties (thankfully I did NOT bring my kids to the game tonight). However, even though I have season tickets, your last sentence is EXACTLY why I sit on the other side with the students. I'd rather be loud & stand than be around people sitting on their hands all game & getting mad because people are standing. Better atmosphere on the student side!

Yeah, I am conflicted about it too. I'd rather be around a crowd that doesn't curse or otherwise act like jerks. On the other hand, I was hoping people on the alumni side WOULD AT LEAST STAND, if for no other reason than I wouldn't have felt obligated to sit on that wet bench (forgot to bring those stadium seats, darn it). I mean, what is so great about sitting in THAT situation. Just another of many things I don't quite get.

that's how my wife and I have always felt, but what was going on tonight was simply embarassing.

I watched the game in section C. I must say I think a number of Alumni were showing spirit and clapping. Granted we did get the full force of the rain when it was going, however many times I chose to stand while those behind me sat and I never once got a "smart remark." Also I will not plug the student section to much if we were using foul language, but it was very nice to see the stands full.

im a student and was sitting over in the section where a group of guys started the F#@$ Ohio chant....it was two different patches of the greek frat guys that were doing it along with a few stragglers here and there...other then that i heard nothing but the occasional Bullshit chant.

oh yes i forgot about this worn out line... let's blame it on the "frat" guys. how pitiful. i was sitting over there the whole time and you know and I know both that it wasn't just two groups of "frat guys". it was a several groups of different students. yeah i definitely saw some "frat" guys doing it but i saw several other groups yelling obscene stuff. give that worn out excuse a rest.

I don't think it was the "frat" guys that i was hearing (i am just glad they are actually inside the stadium). Rather it was the other students. But on the other hand...i am glad they are at the game. If they will stand out in the pouring rain to watch a team that won 1 game last year...they can say whatever they want to. For me and the group i was with, we will sit on the alumni side next time. I do wish they would show and represent UNT with a little more class though (i am sure this goes on everywhere but that doesn't make it okay).

Here is an idea, at the next home game, if you come across a student, chat with them for a few, then remind them of the example we want to set and politely encourage them that if they hear that kind of obscene behavior, to stand up for the image of their university and discourage that behavior, and spart positive chants.

I sat on the student side and the foul language and dirty chants occured late in the game... Especially in the OT.

Students were frustrated cause they were hungry, rain soaked and probably horny... lol..

Defiantely have to give it to these students though, they showed up and whats most shocking is they stayed until the end.

Why defiantly?

For the past several years students wouln't show up in bad weather or would usually leave after halftime but they kept up with the game today...

Besides we won that game, seriously, we outplay them on both sides of the ball.

I heard several band guys cussing and one of them saying I will F$#&*#@ kill you to the referee after the last penalty of the game, damn.... I got a laugh....

Actually its good that everyone was into the game, but couldnt have done a better job controlling their emotions