New Restaurant On Fry Street

A few years ago, I went into that little bar (SideBar, I think) during a 15 minute break in a 3-hour class. I think we were playing a Thursday night football game out of town or something...

Anyways I asked the bartender if he could put the game on. He told me it hadn't started yet, I said yes it has I'm getting text alerts on the score. He thought "The Game" meant some Mavs preseason game, and not the football game of the University just 15 feet from his front door.

I want to open a bar on Fry street, and nobody will work there unless they bleed green.

Let's do it! I have 5 American Dollars to donate to the cause!

• Replies 54
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

A few years ago, I went into that little bar (SideBar, I think) during a 15 minute break in a 3-hour class. I think we were playing a Thursday night football game out of town or something...

Anyways I asked the bartender if he could put the game on. He told me it hadn't started yet, I said yes it has I'm getting text alerts on the score. He thought "The Game" meant some Mavs preseason game, and not the football game of the University just 15 feet from his front door.

I want to open a bar on Fry street, and nobody will work there unless they bleed green.

Wow. Unbelievable. Back in 2001, I was living in a little town in North Carolina and didn't have the cable-package needed to watch the first New Orleans bowl game against Colorado State. I walked to the nearest bar and asked if they'd put the bowl game on. Now, this was a small town in the middle of Duke-North Carolina-NC State basketball country, and football just didn't register with people.

However, the guy at the bar said "Oh, you mean that new bowl, with that Colorado team and one from Texas? Sure! Do you know anything about the teams?" I had to agree to buy 2 pitchers of beer to keep the station tuned into the game since no one else there initially was interested. But 1,500 miles away, they at least knew what was going on, and by the end of the evening half the bar was rooting for UNT just cause of the moxie of Kassel and others that played hard till the end.

Hard to believe a campus-adjacent place would be so clueless.

Guest JohnDenver

They emailed me back saying they know UNT is a big part of their success and they are trying to get the Dodge radio show for 2010.

I dunno... NTU.

I am skeptical.

Folks...please see below the response I received VERY promptly from my email to the Fry Street Public House. I appreciate their quick response, but even more it does look like they will be big supporters of the Mean Green. I did reply and suggest they get the UT stuff off the website...at least in the near term until folks see the support of the Mean green and have a chance to try the place out once it opens. I suggest now, that everyone just relax and give them a shot at having a great opening, give them a try and see how they support the Mean Green. From the response from Byron Crain that I promptly received, it appears to me that they will be supporters of the Mean Green. Good news...for me, I'll be spreading this news and hoping for their success and continued support for the Mean Green. Always good to see a new local business in town...especially one professing to support UNT>

GO MEAN GREEN...Thanks Byron.

Mark,

I have attached our grand opening flyer so you can see that we do believe that UNT and UNT Football is a huge part of our business here. In fact, we have actually scheduled our grand opening with the 1st UNT Football game. In addition, we are also proud sponsors of the UNT Rugby team. I'm sorry you got the idea that we didn't support UNT or UNT Athletics simply because we are hosting a "Watch" party for UT. My business supports everything local. We buy local produce, meats, etc. We are currently in negotiations to try and land the UNT postgame show for the 2010 season with Coach Dodge as well. Again, I'm sorry that you got that feeling by simply seeing one flyer, but since we are not

yet open we have not posted many of the events that we will be hosting. In addition, we have also worked we the following organizations and plan on doing so in the near future:

UNT Cheerleader

UNT Wings

UNT Dancers

UNT Rugby

Just about everything Greek organization that you can name

Thank you for your time and hopefully you will have a change of heart!

Regards,

Byron Crain, Proprietor

Fry Street Public House

byron@publichousedenton.com

940-323-9800 office

214-714-4291 cell

940-323-9805 fax

Webpage: www.publichousedenton.com

Folks...please see below the response I received VERY promptly from my email to the Fry Street Public House. I appreciate their quick response, but even more it does look like they will be big supporters of the Mean Green. I did reply and suggest they get the UT stuff off the website...at least in the near term until folks see the support of the Mean green and have a chance to try the place out once it opens. I suggest now, that everyone just relax and give them a shot at having a great opening, give them a try and see how they support the Mean Green. From the response from Byron Crain that I promptly received, it appears to me that they will be supporters of the Mean Green. Good news...for me, I'll be spreading this news and hoping for their success and continued support for the Mean Green. Always good to see a new local business in town...especially one professing to support UNT>

GO MEAN GREEN...Thanks Byron.

Mark,

I have attached our grand opening flyer so you can see that we do believe that UNT and UNT Football is a huge part of our business here. In fact, we have actually scheduled our grand opening with the 1st UNT Football game. In addition, we are also proud sponsors of the UNT Rugby team. I'm sorry you got the idea that we didn't support UNT or UNT Athletics simply because we are hosting a "Watch" party for UT. My business supports everything local. We buy local produce, meats, etc. We are currently in negotiations to try and land the UNT postgame show for the 2010 season with Coach Dodge as well. Again, I'm sorry that you got that feeling by simply seeing one flyer, but since we are not

yet open we have not posted many of the events that we will be hosting. In addition, we have also worked we the following organizations and plan on doing so in the near future:

UNT Cheerleader

UNT Wings

UNT Dancers

UNT Rugby

Regards,

Byron Crain, Proprietor

Fry Street Public House

byron@publichousedenton.com

940-323-9800 office

214-714-4291 cell

940-323-9805 fax

Webpage: www.publichousedenton.com

Hippies. Boycott.

What a freakin joke. If that is their stance, and they want to cater to the longhorn douche and become a part of that nation, then screw em and try to get them out. It also should be discussed that the city allowed a place like that to be built. Do you think Austin would allow a place catering to Aggies or Sooners to be built on 6th St?

yes

Mark,

UNT Cheerleader

UNT Wings

UNT Dancers

UNT Rugby

To whom it may concern,

UNT Cheerleader

UNT Wings

UNT Dancers

UNT Rugby

I guess "Ioannis" is a little more intimidating than "Mark", but it looks like they've got a form letter down for everyone.

Also... Ironic to me that he supports "just about every Greek organization you can name" but then neglects to respond to me by my name, which is Greek.

Damage control it appears. But, good for them for responding to our "concerns" and for letting folks know they do, indeed, want to support the Mean Green. I would imagine that if he had it to do over again, the UT "stuff" would not have appeared. But, it does tell you just a little about what some local merchants think about the support the students, administration, alums and local residents give UNT. I don't think this sort of "oops" would have happened in may other college towns. The fact that it wasn't checked and was not seen as a problem says more about local support for the team and what is seen as "not a problem" than it does about the businesses seemingly non-interest. If the locals and students, etc. really turned out and supported UNT like they should, well, I am guessing the site would reflect a UNT watch party.

I, for one, am trying to do my part to make sure this sort of thing stops happening in Denton. I will definitely give them a shot and see...cold beer, good food and support for UNT is all I need to spend some $$$ with them as I try to do with as many local businesses as I can.....

GO MEAN GREEN

Damage control it appears. But, good for them for responding to our "concerns" and for letting folks know they do, indeed, want to support the Mean Green. I would imagine that if he had it to do over again, the UT "stuff" would not have appeared. But, it does tell you just a little about what some local merchants think about the support the students, administration, alums and local residents give UNT. I don't think this sort of "oops" would have happened in may other college towns. The fact that it wasn't checked and was not seen as a problem says more about local support for the team and what is seen as "not a problem" than it does about the businesses seemingly non-interest. If the locals and students, etc. really turned out and supported UNT like they should, well, I am guessing the site would reflect a UNT watch party.

I, for one, am trying to do my part to make sure this sort of thing stops happening in Denton. I will definitely give them a shot and see...cold beer, good food and support for UNT is all I need to spend some $$$ with them as I try to do with as many local businesses as I can.....

GO MEAN GREEN

Well put & I concur... I'll stop by for the grand opening and have a drink or pregame meal.

ANUS?!

I don't think so.

Believe it. It's my name. Ioannis = John in English, which is what I generally go by for people who would have a hard time pronouncing it.

And it's not phonetically anywhere close to "anus". It's e-o-AH-niece. The short version is "Yanni", which English speakers are a lot more comfortable saying thanks to this guy:

yanni_live-at-the-acropolis.jpg

Believe it. It's my name. Ioannis = John in English, which is what I generally go by for people who would have a hard time pronouncing it.

And it's not phonetically anywhere close to "anus". It's e-o-AH-niece. The short version is "Yanni", which English speakers are a lot more comfortable saying thanks to this guy:

yanni_live-at-the-acropolis.jpg

Graduation photo?

I wish them well but I have got to be honest - that ad chaps my arse. These business owners have to realize that everything communicates, and seeing a new bar steps from my University tout UT games is below standard. High standards motivate, and in the spirit of recovery I hope these owners realize that they have a golden opportunity to create loyal patrons. But they need to act quick and with excess otherwise my green dollars and others will go to the Pour House and other restaurants that truly support the Mean Green.

Go Mean Green!!!!!

See fellow Slavic names

Janus

Janucz

Iannosh

Ivan

Also, just across the Ionian Sea, you might find the Italian equivalent: Giovanni. :ph34r: