Gomeangreen.com Scrimmage #2 Recap

Harry

Scrimmage #2 Recap

Cornerback Robbie Gordon had possibly the play of the day, grabbing a nice interception against the first team offense. Gordon, originally a Dickey signee, is filling in at cornerback for injured Adryan Adams. While it was a great play, it makes you worry a little about the depth at cornerback with Adams sitting out and Antoine Bush being out at least a month. Would hate to see us start up short at such a key position.

Interesting to note that juco transfer Ira Smith, thought to be a lock down corner is getting a lot of looks at safety. I sense that there may be some adjustment for Smith that they hadn't really factored in. Will have to keep an eye on that one.

Tyler Bailey, grandson of former UTEP coach Charlie Bailey, is starting to make his move on the o-line. Bailey (6-2, 285) was playing a lot at right guard. I thought he had an impressive scrimmage on Saturday. He fits right into the "undersized" description that is usually saved for Victor Gill but the guy is a player and I would not at all be surprised to see him start against Ball State.

For the tight end aficionados, good news, as Bryant Seidle had a nice grab in the scrimmage. I saw a lot of him and true freshman Austin Fitzpatrick from Austin. Fitz2 looks like a good athlete and just needs a little more junk in his trunk which is normal for a kid right out of high school.

More on the o-line, I saw some great blocks from #68 (Kelvin Drake) and he appears to be headed for a really good season. He just looks healthy and quicker than before. Drake filled in for J.J. Johnson who was out with a minor injury (thank god) and it gave me my first look at Nick Leppo (#50). He looked light but pretty active - too early to tell. So where are we? Right now it looks like strong side, Santiago at tackle and Kelvin Drake at guard. JJ appears set at center and on the left side you have Victor Gill at tackle and in my opinion Tyler Bailey or possibly sophomore Coleman Feeley at left guard. Other linemen that appear to be pushing for playing time include Gabe Hollivay at guard, Jeremy Bean at guard and Matt Tomlinson at tackle. Seidle would be the first tight end off the bench although Forrest Rucker is getting some looks there too. Rucker is an interesting guy in that he isn't really a speed burner but he's damn fast for a tight end and he's so long and tall that he could be a good zone blocker on the outside.

It's hard to take too much from these intrasquad scrimmages but there are three players who really appear to be making their mark. I like defensive end Tevinn Cantly a lot. On Saturday he made some nice plays and just looks like he is a load for an offensive linemen to deal with. I know he's young and he will make some rookie mistakes but he looks like a player to me. #47 Brandon Akpunku is cat quick from the outside and he poses problems for a big offensive lineman that is pass blocking. If that same linemen is power run blocking it is a different story. In fact, part of the puzzle that DeLoach will have to figure out is how he can get strong side linebacker Craig Robertson to be on Akpunku's side when the beef comes calling. If you get put in a situation where Akpunku and say Kylie Hill are on one corner on an island it spells trouble! I like his heart and desire, he actually reminds me of Corbin Montgomery in many ways. I also am a big fan of #45 Jeremy Phillips at linebacker. Right now he is running at second team, but on Saturday he had some major league hits that really got the crowd going. I just like his spirit and desire for the game and he reminds me a lot of Taylor Casey which is high praise for any linebacker in this program.

Goat of the day may have to be Tevinn Cantly who got a tongue lashing from one Gary DeLoach for not being out on the field with his team after a possession change. If you screw up on defense you gotta know that DeLoach is going to call you out. To his credit Cantly handled it well.

Offensive stars of the day: I saw good things out of Darius Carey (#19), the freshman from New Orleans. You can just tell from the way he plays out there that he has something special in his step. He was an all state running back and quarterback in high school and I understand that he can throw very well on the run. Perhaps a play could be devised where he gets the ball thrown to him behind the line of scrimmage and…. It is interesting to note that they took a LOT of long looks at #24 Jeremi Mathis on Saturday. He is similar to Cam Montgomery in that he runs downhill, he is listed at 6-1, 215 but he runs bigger than that. He has stood out to me, especially in goal line situations and he also appears to have good hands. BJ Lewis seems to have found a home at receiver this year as he had a nice over the shoulder grab in traffic in the scrimmage. WR Sam Roberson, aka "Big Chief" had some nice connections with Derek "Glen Rose" Thompson. Chief seems to be more comfortable in his own shoes this season after really have a tough go of it last year. Thompson is impressive. He has really good size for a true (listed at 6-4, 223), and in a couple of years he is going to be huge. He has a great arm and should flourish in this offense. Hopefully he can red shirt this season but it is certainly a possibility that he could play and they seem to be preparing him for that. James Hamilton had a nice 15-yard gain on a draw play and he could add an interesting dimension this season with his speed.

Moving back to defense, right now I see them putting Atkinson and KJ at the tackle spots, and I really like the penetration they can provide us with their size. Backing them up appears to be Draylen Ross and Eddrick Gilmore. I think that is a pretty decent two unit rotation. After filling in for KJ it looks like John Weber is moving back to end, but wait just a second here, I can see Weber as a swingman or like the 5th guy off the bench in the middle if someone gets injured or falters. Kyle White and LaChristopher Anyiam (6-4, 287) were both out with minor injuries. Vito is saying that Anyiem may red shirt and I would be okay with that although he is a physical specimen that you would like to see get some playing time especially at defensive end where he would be a load. Kyle (6-2, 309) could also factor in at tackle and again, you gotta love his size. Starters at defensive end appear to be Akpunku and Weber but keep an eye on Sam Owusu Hemeng (#52) who made a strong showing on Saturday. if there is a question mark here it is at defensive end, from a depth perspective.

Coolest thing about the scrimmage (not the weather - it was hot as hell) was the fact the band was practicing in the background. Actually got to hear the fight song going on in the background was pretty sweet!

Random Notes: Robbie Deheck (#54) from Azle is not just taking up a roster spot. He had some bone jarring hits in the scrimmage and is a tough nosed linebacker that you enjoy watching. Stevie Warren has been sort of quiet but he batted down a pass and made his presence known. I think he may get caught up in a numbers game at linebacker but I like his intensity…Iron Hands award recipient on Saturday was Juco WR Jamaal Jackson. He really struggled on this Saturday. He has good speed and runs nice routes but he had a case of the dropsies on Saturday missing two easy grabs that would have netted the offense some good yardage. Rather have it happen in the scrimmage than in the games though. On the other side I thought #1 Dez Brigham looked really good and may be the surprise receiver of the season. Also saw real nice plays and good hands from Hillcrest's own Sweet Willie Taylor who might help us at the slot.

If you are trying to do a comparison of last years defensive tackle position to this years, let me save you some trouble. Last season UNT had the following players play at defensive tackle: Charlie Brown, Jesse DeSoto, Troy Franklin, Issac Thomas, Jon Stewart, Draylen Ross. This season in addition to the return of DeSoto, Stewart and Ross, UNT adds the following : Shavod Atkinson (6-2, 307), John Weber (6-3, 288), Kelvin Jackson (6-2, 309), Kyle White (6-2, 309), LaChris Anyiam (6-4, 287) and Eddrick Gilmore (6-5, 269). To me that is a major reason we have some optimism around these parts.

I know you are probably thinking that he hasn't mentioned Riley once in this write-up. Well you are right about that, and part of that is that he looks so damn comfortable out there you almost forget about him and feel like he's been there for years. I really like Riley as a passer and I think we sometimes underestimate what a good runner he is. I think he is poised for a strong first campaign I really do. He's human, he will make mistakes but he will do a lot of things right too. It's exciting to think about the possibilities he brings to the program.

Last note and then I will leave you alone. Watched two backup LB's and was impressed. First was Daniel Prior from Longview, he's small out there but put some weight on him (I'd like to see him at 235 - he's 215 now) and he will be a very good player. Love his speed to the ball and instincts. Also, a guy that has been sort of forgotten out there is another linebacker from East Texas #36 Marquese Davis from Atlanta (a stones throw from Shrevport). I heard Deloach praise Davis on a run stop and let me tell you, DeLoach doesn't give faint praise. I also have to give props to AJ Penson, who is starting to play up to his potential at the middle linebacker spot. He seems more comfortable there but I do not buy for a minute that he is seriously pushing Nwigwe, because Nwigwe may be the best linebacker we have on the team and brings a physical presence that we need. I think they are using Penson's play as a motivation for Nwigwe and that's probably a good idea. I think the real motivation that Nwigwe has is to get a shot at the NFL and he will have to play a LOT better than he did last year to have a shot at that.

Thanks, hey I need to give a shout out to my GoMeanGreen.com boys who were watching the scrimmage with me...you know who you are. We had a good crew out there Saturday. I felt some good vibes, some optimism and excitement in that group about this team.

Good read. I know in the live chat they brought up Chief's drop to the 3rd team. Any thoughts/concerns about that?

Yeah that concerned me too but I thought he had some nice moments on Saturday and hopefully redeemed himself. This wide receiver thing is wide open, I mean whoever comes into Ball State and shows some stones will likely be a starter. Some say that the two JUCO's are locks to start and I don't buy it. I even look at a kid like Chris Brainard and say heck he could end up being a starter if he makes just one big catch in a big game like Ball State. I will be honest, I think WR is the biggest weakness of this team heading into this season mostly because they are all so damn unproven. And that concerns me a lot, this is a passing offense... Dodge will say that he wants to distribute it evenly but you have to have some go-to guys that you can rely on to move the sticks in the spread offense. Tell me which of our wide receivers deserves or has earned that title heading into the season. They list Chief and Alex Lott as returning starters but lets be honest neither one lit the world on fire last season. I think all the unrealistic hope around Tyler Stradford regaining his eligibility was based around the fact we really don't have a go to receiver this year and we sorely need one to emerge. I hope they will look at Lance Dunbar, he's an excellent receiver out of the backfield and so dangerous in space. I hate to think he will be sitting the bench for long periods while Cam is out there because he is such a weapon. Also want to see more of Darius Carey.

I was glad to hear the good things about Robbie Deheck. He was in some of my wife's classes at Azle High School. He is a good kid and a good student in addition to his skills on the football field.

Robbie is listed at 6-2, 231lbs, he may be even heavier than that. Really lays it on people when he hits them that's for sure.

Rick

Guest GrayEagleOne

Harry, I share your concern about our corps of wide receivers. The talent is there, there is more speed than I can remember, but we are lacking experience and consistency.

From what I've seen and heard, Darius Carey is pure excitement. He runs good/great routes, has great speed, and is greatness with the ball in his hands. The most surprising is B.J. Lewis, who looks nothing like the B.J. of two years ago. He and Carey were easily the most consistent of the fall camp. Not quite Carey's speed but seemingly able to get open and has good hands. The only other receiver that seems to catch everything thrown to him has been Chris Brainard. He's just too light for me to see him as a starter but he can be very effective in situations. Roberson, Jamaal Jackson, and Outlaw have been disappointments thus far. All three can be greatness but thus far there have too many drops and they do not get open often enough. I expected more from Breece Johnson but I'm afraid that he's done for his career. I thought that Des Brigham and Bennie Jones were set to make their mark this year but Brigham looked good until they put the pads on and Jones has apparently been hurt. Either could catch fire but we need that NOW. Willie Taylor could become a dependable receiver but I don't think that it'll be this year. Lott and Dickerson will get you a play here and there but shouldn't be regulars if the others play to their potential. I would really like to see James Hamilton moved to WR. He's also an ex-quarterback who can throw on the run. He and Carey could be passing threats or even more dangerous when they decide to run with the ball.

I do like the pass-catching ability of Seidle and Rucker in tight end situations. I don't remember much about the ability of Fitzpatrick but if he's showing promise we could see a lot of TE formations.

This receiving corps is dripping with potential but they sure haven't put it together yet. Does everything fall together in Game 1? Could be, but I doubt it.

Harry, from your notes I'm reading that there's speed there, but in comparison to last year and the inability to stretch the field, what's your take? That's going to be a big factor in the offense this year. How are the WR's doing getting away from the press at the line of scrimmage? Does it appear that RD is going to get some time to do his thing?

Harry, from your notes I'm reading that there's speed there, but in comparison to last year and the inability to stretch the field, what's your take? That's going to be a big factor in the offense this year. How are the WR's doing getting away from the press at the line of scrimmage? Does it appear that RD is going to get some time to do his thing?

To me that is a question to me can't really be answered until Ball State. Riley technically hasn't been hit yet - we don't know how good our secondary is, etc... the potential is there - we have some good athletes but it will take the season to define who can play. On paper the outside receivers are Outlaw and BJ Lewis? inside are Jamaal Jackson and Lott? Breece Johnson? Does Dez Brigham figure in? Not sure if they or we really know.

Riley looked the very impressive. He forced a couple of throws that were so forced that I thought he may have been told by TD that he if he got the opportunity, heave a couple up to see if there was a receiver with Johnny Quinn type skills that would be able to bring it down. Some may say they were poor decisions and they may have been, but Riley had such a comfortable presence I doubt it. The most impressive thing about Riley was his running ability. Riley is by far the best quarterback we have had around here since I have been following the program ('83).

The jury is still out for me on the DL. Sure they are better, but are they good? We will just have to see when they line up against Ball State.

Harry...nice write up....not much I would disagree with either including the potential challenges we have with the WR position at this point. I do think one of two of these guys will step up and find a way to solidify that position for the Mean Green. At least, I have my fingers crossed.

GO MEAN GREEN!

Harry- good report.

I was at the scrimage, so here a few observations and thoughts. No particular order.

1. I arived early, before the players arrived. As the players came in, they were carring their pads. The first thing I noticed was this. Most of the players looked like Under Armor models- these guys are in shape, even the

big OL/DL certainly have added muscle and shed fat. TE Bryant Seidle looks more like 240. As the scrimage progressed, you could clearly see the OL and DL players were bigger. Another note- none of the players were

holding their arms on their hips, or looked tired. These guys are in shape.

2. Interesting note on "Do It All Carey" - he was holding for the FG attempts. He handled the snaps-got the ball down, and did not seem rattled. Carey handling FG attempts! That is interesting.

3. Gilmore is being out played. I am sure Gilmore will play this season, and will be valuable, but right now, the

OL is blocking him. I think the OL players are very solid.

4. Kelvin Jackson, Shavod Atkinson, Draylen Ross, and Jesse DeSoto, will be a heck of a group of DT's.

I though Atkinson would be the big DT guy, but, Jackson, is something special. The interior DL is strong, and opposing teams will find runing up the gut very difficult to accomplish.

5. Desmond Brigham, and Chris Brainard had some good catches. Brigham is comming on strong.

6. Sam Roberson, Bryant Seidle, Forrest Rucker, Austin Fitzpatrick at TE, all looked very good. Sam and Forrest

both went up to snare high passes. The TE position is solid.

7.OT's Victor Gill, Matt Tomlinson, Esteban Santiago, Jeremy Bean, and Troy Franklin played very well.

8. Jeremy Phillips and Darien Williams had D1 hits that drew the fans approval. You could hear the sound of

strong hitting in the stands. I think the defensive players are becoming pretty darn salty!

9. The coaches were all over the field- I heard the coaches shouting "Tackle, Tackle, Tackle" throughout the

scrimage. I thought the team tackling was good.

10. Riley- has a strong arm- he can zip the ball, very accurate. Riley did have a QB draw that would have been a big gainer. Tune looked very good. He can run the offense. Baine is a deceptive runner. Thompson looks to be a very good QB for the future. There were some deep passes, but not many. The short routes will create

opportunities for the deep passes. I liked the passes out to the flats to Lance, Cam, and Mosely. Several bubble screens out to Carey too. Carey does not look or play like a true freshman. I can see big plays with Lance and

Carey out in the flats.

This team has very good players on both sides of the line. I can see many are 1st team, and 1-A first team.

Depth at every position. Lots of mixing up 1's, 2's, and 3's today. Overall, the scrimage was successful. The coaches have a ton of tape to review, and decisions to make. This team was showing attitude, and pride.

This team needs to hit somebody else, plain and simple. This team will be ready for Ball State.

I

Harry- good report.

I was at the scrimage, so here a few observations and thoughts. No particular order.

1. I arived early, before the players arrived. As the players came in, they were carring their pads. The first thing I noticed was this. Most of the players looked like Under Armor models- these guys are in shape, even the

big OL/DL certainly have added muscle and shed fat. TE Bryant Seidle looks more like 240. As the scrimage progressed, you could clearly see the OL and DL players were bigger. Another note- none of the players were

2. Interesting note on "Do It All Carey" - he was holding for the FG attempts. He handled the snaps-got the ball down, and did not seem rattled. Carey handling FG attempts! That is interesting.

3. Gilmore is being out played. I am sure Gilmore will play this season, and will be valuable, but right now, the

OL is blocking him. I think the OL players are very solid.

4. Kelvin Jackson, Shavod Atkinson, Draylen Ross, and Jesse DeSoto, will be a heck of a group of DT's.

I though Atkinson would be the big DT guy, but, Jackson, is something special. The interior DL is strong, and opposing teams will find runing up the gut very difficult to accomplish.

5. Desmond Brigham, and Chris Brainard had some good catches. Brigham is comming on strong.

6. Sam Roberson, Bryant Seidle, Forrest Rucker, Austin Fitzpatrick at TE, all looked very good. Sam and Forrest

both went up to snare high passes. The TE position is solid.

7.OT's Victor Gill, Matt Tomlinson, Esteban Santiago, Jeremy Bean, and Troy Franklin played very well.

8. Jeremy Phillips and Darien Williams had D1 hits that drew the fans approval. You could hear the sound of

strong hitting in the stands. I think the defensive players are becoming pretty darn salty!

9. The coaches were all over the field- I heard the coaches shouting "Tackle, Tackle, Tackle" throughout the

scrimage. I thought the team tackling was good.

10. Riley- has a strong arm- he can zip the ball, very accurate. Riley did have a QB draw that would have been a big gainer. Tune looked very good. He can run the offense. Baine is a deceptive runner. Thompson looks to be a very good QB for the future. There were some deep passes, but not many. The short routes will create

opportunities for the deep passes. I liked the passes out to the flats to Lance, Cam, and Mosely. Several bubble screens out to Carey too. Carey does not look or play like a true freshman. I can see big plays with Lance and

Carey out in the flats.

This team has very good players on both sides of the line. I can see many are 1st team, and 1-A first team.

Depth at every position. Lots of mixing up 1's, 2's, and 3's today. Overall, the scrimage was successful. The coaches have a ton of tape to review, and decisions to make. This team was showing attitude, and pride.

This team needs to hit somebody else, plain and simple. This team will be ready for Ball State.

I

12-0?

Harry- good report.

Dear Penthouse...

I kid because I love.

12-0?

lol!

It's kind of like going to a small private school where the women are limited. The hottest girl there is still smokin' hot to you. Until you go to a big public school where females exist in large numbers. "Hot" private school girl is there as well and you've noticed she ain't so hot anymore. :lol:

My opinions are my own-

I was impressed with the scrimage, the coaches, and the players.

The beginning of the turn around is just around the corner!

I do Believe in the Mean Green!

Just to clarify for the group so there's no hard feelings, no one is discounting the opinions you expressed. I just found the glowing review of the boys funny and LongJim got worried someone kidnapped you from your computer after you left that "I" on a line by itself.

So I am writing comedy now? Funny glowing report?

If you were at the scrimage, and sitting with me and the other 12-15 Mean Green fans in the group,

maybe you would have a different opinion about this team. Several of the veteran's in this group know

college football, and each had very positive views on this team.

I think it would do you some good to talk to the coaches, just like I have.

If you want to see a team that is evolving into a prety good team, watch this North Texas team.

If you want comedy, watch Ball State ex David Letterman.

If you were at the scrimage, and sitting with me and the other 12-15 Mean Green fans in the group,

maybe you would have a different opinion about this team. Several of the veteran's in this group know

If you want to see a team that is evolving into a prety good team, watch this North Texas team.

Funny...how?

Sweet merciful crap - you are impossible.

Any hots in the group of men you saw enter the field, or do you subscribe to the "rather have a bushel of 7s and 8s than a couple of 10s" theory?