New Tennis Player

GrandGreen

Loriane dos Santos Favoretto from Brazil via Laredo CC is apparently a new recruit to the Mean Green tennis program. She is currently listed on the roster on the official athletic site. Based on quick google, She was one of the top junior college players last year and was part of the doubles juco championship team.

OK, this may have been asked and answered before...but, what's up with college tennis these days? Do no American HS students play well enough to get a DI scholarship to anyplace. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it sure seems that college tennis is dominated by foreign players these days.

And, what about scholarships...do foreign players "cost" more for a scholarship standpoint???

OK, this may have been asked and answered before...but, what's up with college tennis these days? Do no American HS students play well enough to get a DI scholarship to anyplace. I know that's a bit of an exaggeration, but it sure seems that college tennis is dominated by foreign players these days.

And, what about scholarships...do foreign players "cost" more for a scholarship standpoint???

This is a very sticky issue with most American Tennis Players and I hear about it all the time at Tournaments.

Having coached 3 years, I found that many of the on par American players only want to go to Big State "U" and will not even look at smaller programs, such as UNT, UALR, UTEP, etc.. So like any other sport the coaches are paid to win so they will go out and get the best available players.

I think the NCAA should however place a limit of 3 or 4 on the number of foreign players who can be on scholarship, in JUCOs they had a limit of 2 when I played but in most cases JUCOs were cheap enough that foreign players would just pay their way, hence you get schools like CCCC and Laredo CC, who carry 5-6 foreigners.

untblower...thanks for the "inside" info. Interesting situation...I will agree that a limit on foreign scholarship players may well be in order. How do you develop good young American players if all the scholarships go to foreign players and if our tax dollars support these program at many schools, then should citizens get some priority? Interesting...thanks.

haven't the foreign players been a huge part of our success recently? if it's helping us then don't limit it. :D

Sun Belt tennis is almost entirely made up of foreign players. NT was the only team that used predominately American players until the coaching change. That change has allowed NT to move up quickly from being the doormat of the conference. It is obvious that limiting foreign players would hurt the other Belt teams just as much as NT, in fact probably a little more as NT still more USA players than most if not all the Belt. As the rules are now, NT would be stupid not to follow the trend of recruiting mostly foreign players. However, I would be all far a rule that would limit foreign players in all sports. I do believe that having a few international athletics is a good thing, but in some sports specifically long distance running and tennis it has got competely out of control. One of the reasons that WKU and MTSU dominate the all sports competition is that they liberally use foreigners in several sports.

Sun Belt tennis is almost entirely made up of foreign players. NT was the only team that used predominately American players until the coaching change. That change has allowed NT to move up quickly from being the doormat of the conference. It is obvious that limiting foreign players would hurt the other Belt teams just as much as NT, in fact probably a little more as NT still more USA players than most if not all the Belt. As the rules are now, NT would be stupid not to follow the trend of recruiting mostly foreign players. However, I would be all far a rule that would limit foreign players in all sports. I do believe that having a few international athletics is a good thing, but in some sports specifically long distance running and tennis it has got competely out of control. One of the reasons that WKU and MTSU dominate the all sports competition is that they liberally use foreigners in several sports.

Most of the schools have gone all foreign, USA tends to lead, I am impressed with Denver however as they have kept quite a few Americans. The two Arky schools are all foreign. Troy is all foreign and very schizo judging by their match I was at against UALR.

It is a touchy subject, now would I like UNT get more American players, sure thing but they would need to be either Top 15 Texas or Top 100 American with a work ethic otherwise it would be a wasted scholarship.

Abilene Christian I believe used to be one of the first colleges to do it and would dominate lower division track using foreign athletes exclusively.

...........................................................................................................

May 26, 2009 9:43:38 AM

The NCAA News

Saint Augustine’s dethroned seven-time defending champion Abilene Christian on Saturday at the Division II Men’s Outdoor Track and Field Championships, beating the Wildcats convincingly in the meet-ending 1,600-meter relay to claim an eight-point victory.

The title was Saint Augustine’s 10th outdoors but first since 2001. The win completed a Falcon sweep of this year’s indoor and outdoor titles.

Abilene Christian and Saint Augustine’s, the only teams that have won the team competition since Cal Poly’s victory in 1981, entered the final relay tied with 84 points each. But the Falcons won the event while the Wildcats finished seventh, deciding a closely fought three-day competition between the old rivals.

The two schools generally have dominated decades. Abilene Christian won the first seven of its record 18 outdoor championships from 1982 to 1988, while the Falcons won their first seven championships from 1989 to 1995. The Wildcats then won four of the next six years.

Edited by NT80

• 2 weeks later...