How Bad Is Unt Sports?

LoveMG

within texas only unt, texas southern, and tx-pan am failed to have any program in the top 65 nationally.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dw...irectorscup.pdf

why is our sports program so far behind everyone else? is rv to blame? the players, coaches, confernce, economy?

NT finished 3rd in Burbas Cup standings ahead of other Belt teams that got Directors Cup points. Football is down, but NT had a 3rd straight 20 win season in men's basketball, soccer finished second in the Belt and was Regionally ranked at the end of the season, Women's tennis was rated #8 in the Southwest Region ahead of teams like LSU. Softball was about .500, but improving. So do you really think the entire NT athletic program is far behind everyone else ?

NT finished 3rd in Burbas Cup standings ahead of other Belt teams that got Directors Cup points. Football is down, but NT had a 3rd straight 20 win season in men's basketball, soccer finished second in the Belt and was Regionally ranked at the end of the season, Women's tennis was rated #8 in the Southwest Region ahead of teams like LSU. Softball was about .500, but improving. So do you really think the entire NT athletic program is far behind everyone else ?

'61 is correct in that most of our teams are heading in the right direction. The SLC schools and Smut outpointed us in minor sports like cross country or tennis, etc. But NT has shown great improvement in it's women's tennis recently and it's fairly new swimming program. Football is the bell-cow of image for programs in Texas and that certainly needs to improve at NT to inspire other sports (and fans). :rolleyes:

Edited by NT80

Three Sun Belt Schools Finish in Top-100 of Directors Cup

NEW ORLEANS – Three Sun Belt Conference institutions ranked among the Top-100 schools nationally in the 2008-09 Learfield Sports Director’s Cup final standings, as announced by the National Association of Collegiate Directors of Athletics (NACDA). Denver ranked the highest among the league’s 13 institutions, as the Pioneers were listed 54th with their 396.50 points, followed by a record-76th place finish for Middle Tennessee with 259 points and WKU (88th 207.50 points).

Sun Belt Sports

So, which Mean Green sport will be the first to be awarded any points in the future by the Director's Cup? Women's tennis? Women's soccer? Men's basketball--going to take more than 20 wins a season? Football?

Should be Basketball. You can build an athletic department in 1 of 2 ways: 1. Basketball - because it is easier to make money then in any other sport or 2. by throwing a ton of money at football.

UNT needs to find a way to get the mens basketball team to the NCAA tournament every year. This really should be focus #1.

So sad that this type of thing gets any play at all. Men's basketball is doing great as is women's soccer; tennis, softball and women's basketball are all on definite upswing moves, track is pretty solid as is cross-country, a new stadium is being developed, a pretty darn new athletic complex is "up and running", coaching staffs have been improved in recent seasons, and support levels are growing. OK, football has been a bit "off" in the win-loss column the last couple of years...but 2009 may well be the break-out year fans have been looking forward to having, so points or no points in this meaningless survey, athletics at UNT are in pretty good shape and getting better all the time.

Heck, some say that even baseball is on the way.....

If you want to complain about something, complain about something you can do something about...like having bigger numbers of season ticket holders for football and basketball...you can personally do something about that. Think about it!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Edited by KRAM1

So sad that this type of thing gets any play at all. Men's basketball is doing great as is women's soccer; tennis, softball and women's basketball are all on definite upswing moves, track is pretty solid as is cross-country, a new stadium is being developed, a pretty darn new athletic complex is "up and running", coaching staffs have been improved in recent seasons, and support levels are growing. OK, football has been a bit "off" in the win-loss column the last couple of years...but 2009 may well be the break-out year fans have been looking forward to having, so points or no points in this meaningless survey, athletics at UNT are in pretty good shape and getting better all the time.

Heck, some say that even baseball is on the way.....

If you want to complain about something, complain about something you can do something about...like having bigger numbers of season ticket holders for football and basketball...you can personally do something about that. Think about it!

GO MEAN GREEN!

Yeah, this whole Director's Cup thing will never catch on - such a waste of time and money.

Oh, I forgot the front page stories of the school hoisting the "Director's Cup" and all the students chanting "Director's Cup, Director's Cup...we won we won!". I just forgot what a big deal it is...when was the presentation ceremony on? I guess I missed that when all the teams jumped around and fell on top of each other celebrating their "Director's Cup" win! Big...Big! How could one not give it much thought and still call themselves a college sports fan? Amazing lack of interest! And to think funding for such items as scholarships, facilities and programs is all tied to how you do in the final Director's Cup standings. There goes the new stadium! :blink:

Oh, I forgot the front page stories of the school hoisting the "Director's Cup" and all the students chanting "Director's Cup, Director's Cup...we won we won!". I just forgot what a big deal it is...when was the presentation ceremony on? I guess I missed that when all the teams jumped around and fell on top of each other celebrating their "Director's Cup" win! Big...Big! How could one not give it much thought and still call themselves a college sports fan? Amazing lack of interest! And to think funding for such items as scholarships, facilities and programs is all tied to how you do in the final Director's Cup standings. There goes the new stadium! :blink:

You know, all things considered, this is some of your best work yet. I still think I'm right, but I did enjoy the sexy sting of your open hand.

You can choose to ignore the report but it is still seen by potential fans, recruits and their parents. The DMN had a full page about it I think on Sunday and it did highlight how schools in Texas compared athletically against each other and on a National basis. NT didn't show well. We may know things are improving but the numbers (and this article) don't say that yet to the general public.

You can choose to ignore the report but it is still seen by potential fans, recruits and their parents. The DMN had a full page about it I think on Sunday and it did highlight how schools in Texas compared athletically against each other and on a National basis. NT didn't show well. We may know things are improving but the numbers (and this article) don't say that yet to the general public.

Right on....unfortunately perception is reality to the masses and the casual fan