Idea For The Upcoming Football Season

UNT90

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I seem to remember back in the mid 90's we had pre-game concerts on the practice field next to the stadium. The Edge radio station was out there for one of them, and that seemd to bring a decent sized crowd. A lot of those folks didn't end up going into the stadium for the game, but it did lead to a pretty festive atmosphere. I could see us doing something like that, but making students show their Student ID or game ticket to get in. Either way you could count the folks for attendance.

Yes, hire a new coach again and watch attendance spike up for two years.

So then you agree that there are different ways to increase attendance besides winning, which is exactly what this idea is about (and also getting UNT used to handling such events for the new stadium).

Winning is not the only thing that affects attendance, otherwise the Rangers would have folded up their tent a long time ago.

So then you agree that there are different ways to increase attendance besides winning, which is exactly what this idea is about (and also getting UNT used to handling such events for the new stadium).

Winning is not the only thing that affects attendance, otherwise the Rangers would have folded up their tent a long time ago.

Certainly there are other ways to attract attendance. Just marketing the program better would bring new fans. The main difference is are we wanting to attract fans to see the product (football team) that will hopefully come back because of it, or one-time special events (concert, raffle, giveaways, fireworks, etc.). The product and the gimmick can be used together to enhance the whole experience, but just promoting the gimmick shouldn't be the focus.

Edited by NT80

2006 average attendance - 15,650

2008 average attendance - over 18,000

Obviously, there are different ways to increase attendance besides winning.

That was tailgating. Kind of a one-time silver bullet. If we had had tailgating when we were winning a few years back, attendance would have been well beyond today's totals.

Winning it is.

That was tailgating. Kind of a one-time silver bullet. If we had had tailgating when we were winning a few years back, attendance would have been well beyond today's totals.

Winning it is.

Ok, so accordingly, tailgating and a new coach produced higher attendance, but winning is the only thing that will increase attendance? :blink:

Tailgating is a good example of adding something to the gameday mix, just like a post-game concert.

CaribbeanGreen

Winning it is.

That was my point. I was responding to CaribbeanGreen's comment above that I found confusing.

Edited by UNTLifer

Winning it is.

That was my point. I was responding to CaribbeanGreen's comment above that I found confusing.

just saying that those were temporary boons, not so much a long term culture of increased interest or attendance... now, I agree that tailgating IS one of those things that will improve attendance/atmosphere in the long run, but in so far as explaining that one statistical spike you noted, I was simply making the point that the advent of a MUCH expanded game day atmosphere (tailgating, etc.) had as much to do with that as a new coach. Besides, you can't count on a "new coach" bump to mean ANYTHING without winning (as we're seeing all too clearly now), so that one's pretty much out the window.

I don't recall when exactly full on tailgating was implemented (anyone?) but I know that I attended games at Fouts not that long ago when we were pretty damn good and facing moderately attractive opponents we would summarily whip the snot out of, and even with similar attendance figures the atmosphere was nowhere near what it is today. Tailgating COMPLETELY changed not so long ago, and that has been the biggest boost to attendance/game day.. not a new coach.

Only if we can bring back the excitement of a public hanging to ensure they're finally finished.

Bands on the Run: The Final Judgment

Edited by Quoner

I think having concerts would be a fun idea. But some "fans" will only come as far as they have to to see to concert. Or leave when it's over or wait until it starts and not see the game. And the notion of not letting somebody in after the third quarter seems odd. "Sorry folks. The park's closed. The Moose should have told you."

And not all the students will like C & W. Some will like jazz. Some classic rock. And so on.

The only thing the students have in common is that they're all students.

Give them a chance to win their next semester tuition free, based on what they took "this" semester. They still have to pay fees and buy books. Just tuition. They have to be registered by the end of the first quarter with the drawing to be held at the beginning of the fourth quarter. Or whenever. Students must be present to win. No proxies.

Oh yeah. And winning helps attendance too.

Contribute to the new stadium fund.

Join the Mean Green Club

Buy Season Tickets

GO MEAN GREEN