Let's Predict Score Of Ball State Game

NCMeanGreen...oh, ye of little faith...not so fast there...I think we will definitely see big improvements on the field this season, and I think a few on this board will be very surprised at the number of wins for the Mean Green this season. I do think it is a tad bit early to be predicting scores, so I will pass on the opportunity to predict the Ball St. game score this early, but if I were going to predict I would think seriously about a possible Mean Green WIN!

GO MEAN GREEN! All things are possible in college sports!

NCMeanGreen...oh, ye of little faith...not so fast there...I think we will definitely see big improvements on the field this season, and I think a few on this board will be very surprised at the number of wins for the Mean Green this season. I do think it is a tad bit early to be predicting scores, so I will pass on the opportunity to predict the Ball St. game score this early, but if I were going to predict I would think seriously about a possible Mean Green WIN!

GO MEAN GREEN! All things are possible in college sports!

The funny thing about saying this every season, is that, eventually you will be right. Just not this year.

I was the one saying this kind of stuff in manhatten last year. I won't make that mistake again.

I think we will definitely see big improvements on the field this season, and I think a few on this board will be very surprised at the number of wins for the Mean Green this season.

Just to humor me. What do you base this on...because I guarantee you that any reason you can come up with for improvement could be spun 180 degrees easily, and that furthermore any/all reasons you might have are based on "potential" or conjecture.

Just to humor me. What do you base this on...because I guarantee you that any reason you can come up with for improvement could be spun 180 degrees easily, and that furthermore any/all reasons you might have are based on "potential" or conjecture.

There is no way to "humor" you, Emmitt. :no::thumbsup:

If every recruit qualifies for every school (including us), and all returning starters from 2008 actually make their grades, stay out of jail, and return for all teams, here's how it will likely go against our out of conference foes in 2009:

Ball State 42, North Texas 20 - Stan Parrish has tons of experience coaching and 3/4th of his skill set leaders returning on offense. They will be led by a fifth year senior at QB who has spent his entire career in Parrish's playbook.

Ohio 37, North Texas 17 - The Bobcats almost knocked off Ohio State in Columbus last year. They led 7-6 at halftime and 14-12 after three quarters. Frank Solich has been in the business for decades, coaching in countless bowls and hostile road environments (Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, etc). It is doubtful he or his team will be overwhelmed by Fouts Field or the coaching staff on the Mean Green sideline. What is more likely is that they come in and ball control us to death.

Bama 45, North Texas 10 - I think, based on what they did against Western Kentucky and Arkansas State last year, Bama will get up enough to satisfy Nick Saban by the early in the third quarter and will then begin to pull starters. Todd Dodge will see firshand what one of his former Southlake QBs is capable of when a real college coaching staff has tutored him for four years. And, it won't be pretty.

Army 24, North Texas 21 - Both of these teams have been awful the past few years. Army, however, has an athletic department that doesn't accept failure for long; so, they cut loose Stan Brock after only two three-won seasons. That's how cut throat the college football world is outside of Denton - a man who won twice as many games as Todd Dodge in two years was fired. Yet, for the edification of who knows what, UNT has kept Dodge.

The new Army coach, Rich Ellerson, is insanely experienced, with 32 years under his belt at the college or pro level. In his final three seasons at Cal Poly, his teams stayed within 10 of San Jose State, within seven of Idaho, took Wisconsin into overtime and lost by one point at Camp Randall, and beaten San Diego State - all on the road. Like Solich with the Bobcats, Ellerson will not come into Fouts Field wide-eyed. He's done very well at the FCS level on the road against FBS-level competition. There's no reason that will magically change once he's on the sideline for Army.

Just out of curiosity, what else would you base it on other than "potential or conjecture" We have no facts here, this is all a hypothetical at this point.

If every recruit qualifies for every school (including us), and all returning starters from 2008 actually make their grades, stay out of jail, and return for all teams, here's how it will likely go against our out of conference foes in 2009:

Ball State 42, North Texas 20 - Stan Parrish has tons of experience coaching and 3/4th of his skill set leaders returning on offense. They will be led by a fifth year senior at QB who has spent his entire career in Parrish's playbook.Didn't Richard Bridges spend the same amount of time in DD's playbook?. Riding the pine for four years doesn't mean success on the field in your fifth year

Ohio 37, North Texas 17 - The Bobcats almost knocked off Ohio State in Columbus last year. They led 7-6 at halftime and 14-12 after three quarters. Frank Solich has been in the business for decades, coaching in countless bowls and hostile road environments (Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, etc). It is doubtful he or his team will be overwhelmed by Fouts Field or the coaching staff on the Mean Green sideline. What is more likely is that they come in and ball control us to death. will Solich be sober?

Bama 45, North Texas 10 - I think, based on what they did against Western Kentucky and Arkansas State last year, Bama will get up enough to satisfy Nick Saban by the early in the third quarter and will then begin to pull starters. Todd Dodge will see firshand what one of his former Southlake QBs is capable of when a real college coaching staff has tutored him for four years. And, it won't be pretty. I'll be happy if Riley survives and we score 10 on them

Army 24, North Texas 21 - Both of these teams have been awful the past few years. Army, however, has an athletic department that doesn't accept failure for long; so, they cut loose Stan Brock after only two three-won seasons. That's how cut throat the college football world is outside of Denton - a man who won twice as many games as Todd Dodge in two years was fired. Yet, for the edification of who knows what, UNT has kept Dodge. Since 01-02 Army is 19-75, so I think it is a stretch to say they don't accept failure for long. Army hasn't been really good for decades. Ellerson does teach the triple option, so we could have another NT/Navy track meet.

The new Army coach, Rich Ellerson, is insanely experienced, with 32 years under his belt at the college or pro level. In his final three seasons at Cal Poly, his teams stayed within 10 of San Jose State, within seven of Idaho, took Wisconsin into overtime and lost by one point at Camp Randall, and beaten San Diego State - all on the road. Like Solich with the Bobcats, Ellerson will not come into Fouts Field wide-eyed. He's done very well at the FCS level on the road against FBS-level competition. There's no reason that will magically change once he's on the sideline for Army.

Pretty good write-up with my comments, some sarcastic/some serious in bold italics.

I think Ball State and Ohio are toss-ups, or should be and I think we will beat Army.

Couldn't the same be said for people saying to opposite? Teams make big turn arounds every year.

The only thing I know about Ball State is that David Letterman played wide receiver there in the late 60s or early 70s.

I think Paul Schaffer was the kicker.

I'd bet next month's salary on Paul Schaffer being a receiver... :pinch:

Edited by UNT90

Ball State 42, North Texas 20 - Stan Parrish has tons of experience coaching and 3/4th of his skill set leaders returning on offense. They will be led by a fifth year senior at QB who has spent his entire career in Parrish's playbook.

Ohio 37, North Texas 17 - The Bobcats almost knocked off Ohio State in Columbus last year. They led 7-6 at halftime and 14-12 after three quarters. Frank Solich has been in the business for decades, coaching in countless bowls and hostile road environments (Oklahoma, Texas, Ohio State, Virginia Tech, etc). It is doubtful he or his team will be overwhelmed by Fouts Field or the coaching staff on the Mean Green sideline. What is more likely is that they come in and ball control us to death.

Bama 45, North Texas 10 - I think, based on what they did against Western Kentucky and Arkansas State last year, Bama will get up enough to satisfy Nick Saban by the early in the third quarter and will then begin to pull starters. Todd Dodge will see firshand what one of his former Southlake QBs is capable of when a real college coaching staff has tutored him for four years. And, it won't be pretty.

Army 24, North Texas 21 - Both of these teams have been awful the past few years. Army, however, has an athletic department that doesn't accept failure for long; so, they cut loose Stan Brock after only two three-won seasons. That's how cut throat the college football world is outside of Denton - a man who won twice as many games as Todd Dodge in two years was fired. Yet, for the edification of who knows what, UNT has kept Dodge.

Nice writeup and unfortunately probably way too accurate.

I have major doubts about our offense...the one that only scored once on our defense in the spring game. And I still have doubts about that #120 defense from last year improving enough to stop any sub-#90 team. We are what we are until we prove we are not.

• I think, based on last year, the fact that we don't have experienced QB or WR play, and the horrendous defense (prove it and I'll believe), that your predictions are 10 - 15 points on the optimistic side. Ball St. should beat us by 30, as should Ohio, Bama by 50 (this hurts, cause I'll be there), and Army by 20.

It must be Spring for TFLF to be this optimistic.

While this may not happen, I think we all know that this is a real possibility. How would some of you eternal optimists (yes, you KRAM) feel if this came about?

As always, I'll be thrilled if I'm wrong.

Edited by UNT90

While this may not happen, I think we all know that this is a real possibility. How would some of you eternal optimists (yes, you KRAM) feel if this came about?

This team could win anywhere from 0-2 next season and there will still be a lot of folks who think Dodge should come back for fourth year. After watching that spring game, I have serious doubts that this team will win more than 2 games. Dare I say, Dodge is starting to remind me of the Tommy Newman years in basketball.

I was thinking more like the Vic Trilli era...20-87 record.

Good call. Trilli came in and got some major changes to the stadium but never did much in terms of his teams. Dodge comes in and with the excitment he brings and the students vote for a stadium, but so far his teams really have done about the same as Trilli.

Ball State 30

UNT 13

ATTN Grenn Nightmare : Can we go ahead a reserve the Media room @ Pourhouse for this event ? Would they just let Mean Green fans have the room or would we need to pay some kind of rate ? Also , if they gave the room for us for free maybe we could charge like $ 5 a head and donate the proceeds to either Pourhouse or to the Ath Dept or something along those lines.

Edited by NT03

Well, now that you asked...I do not see this happening. The Ball St. game could be a real "barn burner" of an affair with both teams being in it at the end. For me, that's progress. The "Bama game...well, let's not go there with any prediction...I just predict that UNT comes out of it alive! Ohio, well, we have them at home and yes, ball control could be a factor, but it could work in UNT's favor in keeping the score down while our offense puts a few points on the board. This is a real possible win for the Mean Green. Should be fun. And now Army...UNT wins this one. By the time Army gets to Fouts, the Mean Green will have a couple of wins in hand and will be looking for more. Army will be "beaten up" by this time and will, once more be losing. While you never count on an academy team to play at less than "full out", Army may be a bit tired and beaten down by now...all this, and some wins earlier by UNT adds up to another win for the Mean Green.

If the "doom and gloomers" are correct, well, we'll just have to see about that, won't we? Fortunately, the "doom and gloomers" and the "sky is falling" crowd are usually too negative in their predictions of world-wide famine and pestilence.