Ncaa Adds Sand Volleyball

MeanMag

Serious question... Would NCAA sand v-ball only use two players or will there be more like reg.v-ball? And do most beach players just switch over from infoors when they get to college or do theyy start playing earlier?

I'll field this one. I went to high school in Santa Cruz in the 80s where beach volleyball, both recreational and seriously competitive, was king.

1) Four on a side sand volleyball does exist. I haven't seen it since the 80s though. Haven't really paid attention to whether or not the olympics includes it.

2) Depends on where the player grows up. Having gone to high school on the sunny beaches of California, the indoor players were mostly converted beach players who went on to play indoors in college, then bolted back to the beach once the scholarship was over. If, on the other hand, they grow up in, oh, say, North Texas where there isn't any sand and the weather isn't fantastic all year long, then they most likely start playing indoors. Playing on sand is a huuuge transition from playing on the court. Your feet just don't move the same.

I also attribute the west coach culture of beach volleyball to there being men's teams in so many colleges out there. Of 39 NCAA men's teams, half of them are on the west coast. Another 4 or 5 are from Puerto Rico.

I'll field this one. I went to high school in Santa Cruz in the 80s where beach volleyball, both recreational and seriously competitive, was king.

1) Four on a side sand volleyball does exist. I haven't seen it since the 80s though. Haven't really paid attention to whether or not the olympics includes it.

2) Depends on where the player grows up. Having gone to high school on the sunny beaches of California, the indoor players were mostly converted beach players who went on to play indoors in college, then bolted back to the beach once the scholarship was over. If, on the other hand, they grow up in, oh, say, North Texas where there isn't any sand and the weather isn't fantastic all year long, then they most likely start playing indoors. Playing on sand is a huuuge transition from playing on the court. Your feet just don't move the same.

I also attribute the west coach culture of beach volleyball to there being men's teams in so many colleges out there. Of 39 NCAA men's teams, half of them are on the west coast. Another 4 or 5 are from Puerto Rico.

You were a UC-Santa Cruz Banana Slug????