John Calipari Named Kentucky Coach

UNTflyer

If Johnny were to go - which I don't think will happen - it would be a boon for him and UNT. Johnny would double his salary (didn't Cali make over a mil?) and UNT would become a VERY attractive stepping stone job. I would hate to lose Johnny but we would get a good coach to replace him.

I couldn't agree more. We would go out and find a true winner. I'm sure the coach from SOC, Cedar Hill, Desoto, Duncanville or Carter would love to come to North Texas.

Guys, I have been around long enough to know this stuff happens. Calipari, you made the decision so take your Kentucky job and do well. Just don't try to play one school off the other. Smacks of "whore" to me.

Does anyone else besides me find this kind of behavior distasteful?

It sounds like Memphis is trying to start a bidding war for his services. I don't have a problem with that as long as the coach didn't start it and doesn't play the maybe-maybe game with them both. Along with salary he is probably also weighing CUSA vs. SEC and U. Memphis vs. Flagship state school UK. This is where conference affiliation hurts Memphis.

As for JJ leaving, he won't get the Memphis job, but he may be looked at to replace the guy who does get the Memphis job, or the replacement of the replacement. You get the idea. A moveup from UNT and the SBC would be to one of 100+ other better basketball programs.

JJ leaving is probably going to happen SOME DAY...I just hope it won't be this year. He has just gotten up a head of steam with our program and we're poised to be getting to post-season on a somewhat regular basis. His stock is only going to go higher, IMHO. Please, let his well-deserved step up come a little further down the road.

Probably true, but I would love to see NT place a bigger emphasis on basketball, watch the program and attendance grow, watch more money come in, etc... and Johnny decide that Denton and NT is the place he wants to spend his career.

Nolan Dennis reconsiderring his commitment?

Maybe looking to stay closer to home?

Maybe with an up and coming local program with 2 scholarships yet to give?

Maaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaybe?

Word on the street is Nolan Dennis might be looking at Baylor now. So close and yet so far.

I wouldn't be concerned with JJ going to Memphis, but depending on who they hire he could be attractive to that coach's former school. Hope not, but it is possible.

Wasn't JJ the interim coach at Memphis after they suspended Tic Price (former UNT asst) for trying to re-live his college days? I doubt even if he had gone to the big dance a few times here, Memphis would want to bring back anything related to Price's staff.

Since many think JJ might be walking to a new job, the Xavier Job is now open as their coach will be the head coach for Arizona.

Tricklle Down. As for Memphis, I have spoken with a Memphis fan and there is no way in hell JJ will even get a sniff at that job.