John Calipari Named Kentucky Coach

UNTflyer

Like with the LSU opening, I expect JJ may get an interview. But he does not have the NCAA Tourney wins needed to get the fan support needed to take over a $million job like Memphis yet. There are too many Gonzaga-like programs with coaches that have those skins that will get the job.

Calipari is still only in negotiations with KY, so he is not the coach yet. Personally he would be dumb to leave his gig in Memphis.

I heard that he was being offered a multi year deal for 35 million bucks. Kinda hard to turn that kinds jack down.

Make that 8 years, $35 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

Edited by UNT90

I heard that he was being offered a multi year deal for 35 million bucks. Kinda hard to turn that kinds jack down.

Make that 8 years, $35 million.

http://sports.espn.go.com/ncb/news/story?id=4026848

Coach Cal met with Memphis boosters last night--they will meet and beat any deal UK offers him.

EDIT: Travis already mentioned this--didn't see it when I posted.

Edited by Mean Green 93-98

Guys, I have been around long enough to know this stuff happens. Calipari, you made the decision so take your Kentucky job and do well. Just don't try to play one school off the other. Smacks of "whore" to me.

Does anyone else besides me find this kind of behavior distasteful?

Guys, I have been around long enough to know this stuff happens. Calipari, you made the decision so take your Kentucky job and do well. Just don't try to play one school off the other. Smacks of "whore" to me.

Does anyone else besides me find this kind of behavior distasteful?

I really don't see him playing one offer against the other. It seems pretty much done that he is Kentucky bound, they are just hammering out details.

I heard that as many as 3 current Memphis players may transfer is Calipari leaves. As stated earlier Collin Dennis' little bro is signed with Memphis, he is a 4* SG. We do have a couple of ships left......you never know.....???????

If Johnny were to go - which I don't think will happen - it would be a boon for him and UNT. Johnny would double his salary (didn't Cali make over a mil?) and UNT would become a VERY attractive stepping stone job. I would hate to lose Johnny but we would get a good coach to replace him.

JJ leaving is probably going to happen SOME DAY...I just hope it won't be this year. He has just gotten up a head of steam with our program and we're poised to be getting to post-season on a somewhat regular basis. His stock is only going to go higher, IMHO. Please, let his well-deserved step up come a little further down the road.