Utsa Football

bigrobdsp

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yep...that is ughly. I do hope they don't actually use this design when they "suit up". I would at least use the orange as the more dominant color to spice it up a bit...that design is simply UGLY! May or may noy the the "ugliest" design and color use in college football, but it has to rank in the top 10! But, I am sure Lonnie has already orderd a mini so he can proudly display his new most favorite team at home or the office...oh, wait, maybe it's on the rear shelf of his car for all to see. :kiss:

Domes are not conducive to big time collegiate football programs. Name one big time program that plays in a dome? It doesn't work because the Dome is always shared with a pro franchise and is never on campus. Domes also kill the college gameday atmosphere, which is all about being outside and on campus. You think it's hard to get UNT students to go to games, imagine trying to sell the UTSA student the prospect of driving across town to watch D1AA football. Then throw on top of that looking like you were the only one in a stadium with zero atmosphere.

I would be interesting in seeing the Southland conference avg attendance. Take that attendance and cut it in half, and you would maybe have UTSA's first 3 years attendance average.

They are so far beneath us, they are barely out of hell.

I would bet they start a stadium campaign inside of 3 years.

The Alamo Dome is 17 miles from campus. UNT has almost twice as many students living on campus as UTSA.

I just don't see UTSA, in the next 10 years, making that big of a splash in college football in terms of support or attendance.

Edited by UNTflyer

I would be interesting in seeing the Southland conference avg attendance. Take that attendance and cut it in half, and you would maybe have UTSA's first 3 years attendance average.

Central Arkansas 10283

Texas State 11408

McNeese State 12819

Northwestern State 7977

Nicholls State 5383

Southeastern Louisiana 4951

Sam Houston State 9627

Stephen F. Austin 8480

Average 8866

Central Arkansas 10283

Texas State 11408

McNeese State 12819

Northwestern State 7977

Nicholls State 5383

Sam Houston State 9627

Stephen F. Austin 8480

Average 8866

The UCA would be higher if the stadium held more than 10K, they consistently had overflow crowds every home game.

Hate to put my Brett Vito hat on here but 3-21, and not by close margins. QB with zero collegiate snaps, D-line with "potential", no for sure go-to receiver, and a coach who refuses to do simple things like go under center. UTSA, on the other hand, has a coach who has a national title. You can say until you are blue in the face that he did it with someone else's players but the bottom line remains he did it and anyone would be delusional to think an athlete who is choosing between NT and UTSA won't see that ring on his finger...it looks a lot better than any number of high school championship rings. Oh, and let's not forget that San Antonio has a history of turning out to support any/all sports that you put out there for them. Denton, not so much.

I eagerly await the following posts:

1)Why is everyone always picking on Rodge?

2)Negativity never gets us anywhere. Somehow crossing our fingers and clicking our heels together does.

3)Spring ball looks promising...playing little to no contact football against ourselves is always an excellent barometer.

4)We recruited kids that all the big schools wanted...but just didn't get around to offering. And then a list of the few exceptions.

Fire away.

One of the funniest posts I've read in a while. After hitting every negative gmg.com cliche in the book, it forbids anyone from using the positive cliches. Pure genius, I tell you.

Central Arkansas 10283

Texas State 11408

McNeese State 12819

Northwestern State 7977

Nicholls State 5383

Sam Houston State 9627

Stephen F. Austin 8480

Average 8866

Interesting number - because I would have guesstimated 8,000 just thinking about our average attendance during the I-AA days. Although, I attended multiple games during those days where I swear we had less than 1,500 in Fouts. If nothing else, we've certainly come quite a ways with our average attendance.

And, as far as passing over jobs, we're back to contract talk again. In every college cotract I've seen (except us with Dickey, thank to our brillant administration and athletic department), a coach will not be paid the remainder of a contract if he goes to work for another school. It's likely Coker simply stayed out until his Miami contract ran out. Gary Gibbs and John Blake both did that after they left Oklahoma. As soon as the school's obligation to pay them ended, they were back on the sidelines and have been ever since. Miami pays well, so Coker likely enjoyed a short reprise, supplementing with some face time on ESPN until the Miami contract ended.

You make good arguments in your posts, but you can do better than this. There were things at OU that Blake did that proved he was a great assistant and great recruiter, but that he was not even a good head coach. Blake got the job because of one recommendation, Switzer. Gibbs inherited a bad situation, where he couldn't win, and he also realized he is a better coordiantor than head coach. I admire that he has the courage to do that. Norv Turner is another who comes to mind. My point is that Larry Coker had a lot to prove when he left Miami as a head coach, even with a Nat. Championship because many gave him no credit. As you note, he certainly made his contribution in recruiting, but had Butch Davis stayed, he would still be the head coach there and Davis was the biggest factor in Miami's success. Coker did not just bide his time, and accept the UTSA job as you say. Nobody else wanted him, not even an SMU, TCU, Rice, or Tulsa who have all had openings since he left Miami. Utah, Oklahoma State, Missouri, Miss. State the list goes on and on. You have also mentioned that he recruited Texas well. I would say against Mackovic, Slocum, and even OU at that time was a lot easier then he will find today. Also, do not leave out Rice, UTEP, and SMU as compared to the shape those programs were in when he was at Miami. The landscape has changed, and this program WILL NOT be the South Florida or Central Florida in the state of Texas.