Projected Starters

Green59

Since signing day has passed I thought it might be interesting to see how many of these new players might break into the starting lineup.....

T Esteban Santiago

G Gabe Hollivay

C JJ Johnson

G Kelvin Drake

T Victor Gill

TE Austin Fitzpatrick*

WR Mike Outlaw*

WR Jamaal Jackson* (or Tyler Stradford* if eligible)

WR Forest Rucker

RB Lance Dunbar

QB Riley Dodge

DE Eddrick Gilmore

DT Jesse Desoto

DT Shavod Atkinson*

DE John Weber*

LB Craig Robertson

LB Tobe Nwigwe

LB A.J. Penson

CB Ira Smith*

S Kylee Hill

S Darien Williams

CB Antoine Bush

PK Jeremy Knott

P Will Atterbury*

KO Will Atterbury*

H Chase Baine

LS Troy Kokjohn

PR Darius Carey*

KR Darius Carey* & Ira Smith*

Since signing day has passed I thought it might be interesting to see how many of these new players might break into the starting lineup.....

T Esteban Santiago

G Gabe Hollivay

C JJ Johnson

G Kelvin Drake

T Victor Gill

TE Austin Fitzpatrick*

WR Mike Outlaw*

WR Forest Rucker

RB Lance Dunbar

QB Riley Dodge

DE Eddrick Gilmore

DT Jesse Desoto

DT Shavod Atkinson*

DE John Weber*

LB Craig Robertson

LB Tobe Nwigwe

LB A.J. Penson

CB Ira Smith*

S Kylee Hill

S Darien Williams

CB Antoine Bush

PK Jeremy Knott

P Will Atterbury*

KO Will Atterbury*

H Chase Baine

LS Troy Kokjohn

PR Darius Carey*

Looks possible but I think I'd slide Jamel Jackson in there somewhere in either the PR or KR positions. Also, not so sure you'll see a TE as part of our "normal" packages. I'd think another WR is more likely.

T Esteban Santiago

G Gabe Hollivay

C JJ Johnson

G Kelvin Drake

T Victor Gill

TE Austin Fitzpatrick*

WR Mike Outlaw*

WR Forest Rucker

RB Lance Dunbar

QB Riley Dodge

DE Eddrick Gilmore

DT Jesse Desoto

DT Shavod Atkinson*

DE John Weber*

LB Craig Robertson

LB Tobe Nwigwe

LB A.J. Penson

CB Ira Smith*

S Kylee Hill

S Darien Williams

CB Antoine Bush

PK Jeremy Knott

P Will Atterbury*

KO Will Atterbury*

H Chase Baine

LS Troy Kokjohn

PR Darius Carey*

I think that Troy Franklin and Tevinn Cantly have as good a chance as anyone at DT, especially since they are now on campus and benefiting from the new strength and DT coaches. Also, I think that Kyle Russo has a legitimate shot to be starter at DE. I also consider Tyler Washington to have a good chance of beating out Penson at OLB; either that or switching between DE and OLB.

Uh... Cam Montgomery?

Uh..... Ditto , he should be the main focus in the whole offense this season.

And Emmitt is right , I don't think the TE package will be used every down so I wouldn't count on our #1 reception return leader Alex Lott out of the mix. Maybe just on shotgun formations when we are at 3rd and 4th and 1 :blink:

Edited by NT03

Gutsy as he is, I do not see Gill starting next year...look for Bean to play in this slot. I also don't see DeSoto being a starter at DT. We will definitely need him to be a contributor at the position, but I don't see him starting. If he were ready to start, you wouldn't have seen such a push to get JUCO DTs. Look for the other JUCO to start alongside Atkinson.

I also see Roberson getting things together in his redshirt-Soph season, and having a hell of a year at WR.

Edited by BIG DAWG

Hope you're right. What did you see?

Nothing specific, I am just not ready to write off a kid that is just getting his career started. This guy has all the tools, he just wasn't able to develop them all yet...he still has three years to do so, and he isn't all so different from many others at this stage...we still have a ton of time with this kid, and I think he shows us what he is made of this year.

I look for one or both of the OTs to be replaced. I realized the line kinda came togather down the stretch, but tackles of 250 & 285lbs on the field together is a recipe for disaster.

I think that if either Gill or Santiago was to be replaced as starters it would be by Matt Tomlinson. He redshirted in 2007 and he had a shoulder injury in the Spring of 2008.

I think Santiago is underrated...this kid has the frame to beef up and be an all-conference type of tackle I think...we will see what kind of numbers we see as far as weights when the season begins and these guys have a solid period period of time with this new strength coach

I also don't see DeSoto being a starter at DT. We will definitely need him to be a contributor at the position, but I don't see him starting. If he were ready to start, you wouldn't have seen such a push to get JUCO DTs. Look for the other JUCO to start alongside Atkinson.

I do see a close battle between DeSoto, Franklin, Cantly and Jackson for the DT spot along side of Atkinson. I saw a lot of promise from DeSoto with his performance in the final game of the season.

I haven't forgot about Ross, but my money on the DT who starts on the other side of Atkinson will be Cantly...this guy is going to be a 4-year starter for us.

I was pissed when he redshirted, but now I couldn't be happier!!!

I did see Cantly at the Football Banquet a few weeks ago...He is one big guy even without shoulder pads and a helmet on!

RB Lance Dunbar

Wow...is Lance Dunbar that good!!! I would have thought Cam Montgomery would have been the starter... :blink:

Wow...is Lance Dunbar that good!!! I would have thought Cam Montgomery would have been the starter... :blink:

I am hoping Lance is good....I liked what I saw in the five games he played before getting injured. I looked at his Rivals.com page from 2008 and saw he had scholarship offers from Oklahoma State, Colorado and Virginia.

Don't forget Micah. He was the starter in the opener and then he got hurt on the kick-off. He should be healthy this year and I can't wait to see a backfield rotation that is this deep.

What I am hoping is that they are all healthy and eligible. This would allow DeLoach to do what he wanted to do last year. He said he wants his line to give him 4 downs at full speed, then have another group come in and do the same. Rinse and repeat. We didn't have the depth because of injuries to really do that last year. So my hope is that starter become irrelevant and that they all receive about the same amount of playing time.

If this happens, I kind of expect to see a 1a and 1b situation, rather than first and second team. If that is the case, then I would think Atkinson and Jackson would not be on the same line rotation, in order to provide size for each unit.

Good points one and all! If the team is going to take a leap forward it has to come from

the d-line. If you get that production, I think the team will be much improved. I also feel the offensive line

could be awesome if it all falls together right. We may be better than people think.

GMG

We may be better than people think.

There is a team every year that turns out better than people thought. I know due to our prior body of work, some wish to think this is impossible for us, but...I get the feeling we could surprise. I do want to go on record as stating that I am not going to predict a 9-10 win season or anything. I would be really excited with 6 wins!

There is a team every year that turns out better than people thought. I know due to our prior body of work, some wish to think this is impossible for us, but...I get the feeling we could surprise. I do want to go on record as stating that I am not going to predict a 9-10 win season or anything. I would be really excited with 6 wins!

Who wishes to think failure? Not everyone who doesn't share optimism for next season has an axe to grind with Dodge and Co.