Why One Business In Denton Didn't Support Unt Football

Green Dozer

On Saturday evening, while we were waiting on the team buses, we were talking how we wished Denton would get behind the team more, and all of UNT for that matter. Anyway, SUMG told a story that several years ago, he and few people were taking the big schedule posters to local businesses. Anyway, they went into a pharmacy on the square and asked the owner if he would mind hanging one in his store. He told them that he had quit supporting the football program several years before because North Texas had dropped out of the PAC 10, so no, they could not hang up the poster. We all got a big laugh, and remarked that all those trips to the Rose Bowl and playing USC every must have go pretty boring. Only in Denton!

Mr. Shrader....what a character, and actually still a lover of the Mean Green at age 84! He listens to the games on the radio and watches them whenever they are on TV. As far as the Pac-10 comment, well, I have no clue. BUT, I'm not surprised. His son, who worked at the pharmacy for many years as well, is a good friend and has more old North Texas stuff than you can imagine.

Aside from Frenchy ( I love that guy) who in Denton really supports UNT football? Let's start keeping score. Maybe they (Denton businesses) will realize it is a good business decision to support the largest Denton employer and the largest boost to the customer base in town. Just think, Lubbock had literally millions of dollars flooded in to their economy this weekend because of a great game. Why can't Denton see the relationship?? What are we doing wrong? We seem to know what they are doing wrong.

Its called the Sun Belt.

Guest GrayEagleOne

I don't see the Denton businesses as being a problem. All of the auto dealers, insurance agents/companies, banks, several of the restaurants (especially Outback and Jason's Deli), hospitals, bookstores, and most businesses that cater to college students are supportive. The beer and soft drink companies are major supporters. Others have very small advertising budgets but I can't fathom their not allowing a UNT poster.

It's the townspeople of Denton that I have a problem with. The vast majority of them live there because of the two colleges. Either they work for them, own or work at a business that caters to one or both of the universities or work as an indirect result from Denton's largest employer (UNT). I'm speaking of city/county services for the most part. Either no one has made much of an effort to get the townspeople to support the colleges or they lack interest. I believe that it's the latter. I realize that the Sun Belt Conference does not stir the interest of the majority of Dentonites but if the citizenry filled the stadium and arenas a better conference would be forthcoming. Denton doesn't support UNT because we're not in a major (or better known) conference and we're not in a major conference because we don't have the local support.

I wasn't being sarcastic. I think he does a better job than we've had done in decades.

I know. I was just joking. In all seriousness, the promotion for North Texas football has gotten much better over the 11 years that I've followed the program. I hope that we'll continue to build off of this and give basketball the support that they deserve as well.

Good to see the comments about the Denton area businesses who support UNT...not just athletic programs but academically as well. I think, sometimes, our local business support gets a bit of a bad rap...there are many many businesses in Denton and the surrounding area that do a very nice job of supporting the Mean Green. We should all think about that when we look to do business around Denton, etc.

I also think support is growing! And, yes, this is positive and this is another sign that good things are happening in Denton regarding UNT!

GO MEAN GREEN!

One of the reasons I chose UNT over other area alternatives was because of the guy with the foundation repair company. I look at UT Dallas and UTA, and I see a lot of people going on to rot their lives away in cubicles. I look at UNT alumni, and I see people going out into the world with real practical knowledge and making a living on and of their own accord. I decided to stop working because I was sick of the corporate life and knew that it was truly going to kill me before the age of 40 (that is, if marriage and/or mass consumption of self medication didn't get me first!). I looked at UNT's program, and saw the opportunity to get out from under the corporate thumb in eight years or less, and I jumped at the chance. I think the so-called "commuter" schools like UNT should market this quality more heavily.