Now That The Athletic Fee Finally Passed

UNT_playmaker

• Replies 77
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Make it a dual purpose stadium! Something akin to all those concrete donuts they cranked out in the 70s.

But seriously, aren't they gonna' have to add some women's sports along with baseball? That's gonna' be quite an endeavor to undertake. Give it time. I do wonder what the hell a school without baseball is supposed to do with itself in the spring though. March through August is an awfully long time to sit idle.

Meh, I've got to attend some softball games because my daughter's a fan. She wants to see the "big girls" play.

Make it a dual purpose stadium! Something akin to all those concrete donuts they cranked out in the 70s.

But seriously, aren't they gonna' have to add some women's sports along with baseball? That's gonna' be quite an endeavor to undertake. Give it time. I do wonder what the hell a school without baseball is supposed to do with itself in the spring though. March through August is an awfully long time to sit idle.

Meh, I've got to attend some softball games because my daughter's a fan. She wants to see the "big girls" play.

I know what they do in March...

Guest GrayEagleOne

I'd guess it depends on whether we want to play in one of the local parks for a few years.

The good news:

1. We have approximately $.75 million in donations dedicated to baseball.

2. The money available would cover start up costs.

3. There will be some additional funds available in 2011 from the athletics fee.

4. We have fairly strong support for a team.

5. We own the land where the ballpark will be located.

6. There is plenty of talent available.

7. Softball was able to play elsewhere locally and later successfully build their own stadium.

8. The Athletics Director is in favor of adding baseball as soon as possible.

The bad news:

1. We do not have, nor do we have the money to build, a new stadium.

2. One or two additional women's sports would need to added to comply with Title IX.

Of the $7 increase in fees, we only need $3-4 to service the note on the stadium. That's going to free up $3-4 million a year to fund other projects.

As for Title IX, I can see the university adding women's gymnastics. The coliseum can be used for competitions.

I'd also like to see men's soccer and women's/men's lacrosse.

Edited by UNTflyer

I have been told that the funding for a baseball program already exists. However, the stadium must be built first! :ph34r: I promise I am not making this up....

For the record, the pictures Flyer posted of a baseball stadium are real they are posted on the AD website under future facilities.

Edited by LAZER

How much would a baseball stadium cost? I would not think it would be more than about 5-10 million dollars. I am sure we can atleast raise money to start the baseball stadium project.

It cost several million for Irvine to upgrade its existing baseball stadium, and it's not all that impressive. They had an existing field with concrete bleachers. They added bermuda grass ($2 million in 2001), bigger dugouts, a clubhouse, a press box, and 900 seat back chairs. I'd have to look it up, but I believe it was in the range of $7 million. They're still working on funding to get it up to 3000 seats so they can start hosting regional play. Right now, the capacity is technically over 3000, but the bulk of that is a grass berm down the first base line.

Baseball's starting to increase in popularity, and the NCAA wants really nice facilities for regional and super regional play. Texas hosted at Round Rock two years ago. LSU's got the new Box going in, and I'm betting that is many multi millions of dollars. Even fabled Rosenblatt Stadium in Omaha is near the end of its run.

Baseball stadiums, like I said, need at least 3000 seats to compete, and benches don't cut it. They have to be seat backs. Those are mighty pricey.

On the plus side, if you build a stadium like Cal State Fullerton's you tend to get bids to the tourney more often than not (even when Fullerton has had very, very marginal seasons) because of the facilities you boast. I do believe that NCAA stands for Never-ending Cash Accumulation Association.

If those pictures are real, that would be one of the most impressive college baseball stadiums I've ever seen. Even most top programs have pretty dumpy facilities in baseball.

Those pictures are nice, yes. But it's nothing like some consistant powerhouse baseball schools have. Fresno State's Beiden Field (forget when it was built...but I know I attended when I was young so it's at least since around '93) is picture below:

beiden-1.jpg

I'm 100%, totally for college baseball at UNT, and would financially support it in the future.

Edited by mdh0192

Of the $7 increase in fees, we only need $3-4 to service the note on the stadium. That's going to free up $3-4 million a year to fund other projects.

As for Title IX, I can see the university adding women's gymnastics. The coliseum can be used for competitions.

I'd also like to see men's soccer and women's/men's lacrosse.

Gymnastics would be awesome. You already have a great facility to use, and you can bring in some name schools for competition.

Id love to see men's soccer back.

Lacrosse is gaining popularity too.

Hey, lets get NCAA beach volleyball started. The women's matches would be sold out :)