North Texas Football

UNT_playmaker

You know I have always followed the Mean Green since I was in elementary school in Denton and I have seen or heard about of alot of horrid games and performances by the North Texas Eagles or the Mean Green at the hands of several teams.

I remember when Dennis Parker was the coach we lost bad to Nebraska and Dodge's first game which was an early indicator of things to come against Oklahoma, but Rice, a private school of 2,000 people, who was one of the worst teams in the nation not too long ago had its very own rout against us.

I mean seriously we were down nearly 80 points and they surely could have tapped over 100 points as we were down 77-20 in the 3rd quarter. It has occured everal times this season, where we have almost nearly 100 points or more scored on us and no production out of the offense.

The SBC is the strongest I have ever seen it, so I hope this isnt true but we have a very good chance of going 0-12 for the season. ULL, FIU, Troy, Ark St have all played their OOC with consistencies and confidence and almost came up with big upsets and some good wins.

I think the program is already experiencing some of the hardest times it has ever faced and will continue to do so for the remainder of the season. Are there any old timers who have followed the program before I did that think that this is the worst season of NT football thus far?

Edited by UNT_playmaker

You know I have always followed the Mean Green since I was in elementary school in Denton and I have seen or heard about of alot of horrid games and performances by the North Texas Eagles or the Mean Green at the hands of several teams.

I remember when Dennis Parker was the coach we lost bad to Nebraska and Dodge's first game which was an early indicator of things to come against Oklahoma, but Rice, a private school of 2,000 people, who was one of the worst teams in the nation not too long ago had its very own rout against us.

I mean seriously we were down nearly 80 points and surely could have tapped over 100 points as we were down 77-20 in the 3rd quarter. It has occured everal times this season, where we have almost nearly 100 points or more scored on us and no production out of the offense.

The SBC is the strongest I have ever seen it, so I hope this isnt true but we have a very good chance of going 0-12 for the season. ULL, FIU, Troy, Ark St have all played their OOC with consistencies and confidence and almost came up with big upsets and some good wins.

I think the program is already experiencing some of the hardest times it has ever faced and will continue to do so for the remainder of the season. Are there any old timers who have followed the program before I did that think that this is the worst season of NT football thus far?

1972, under Rod Rust, 1-10, with the first win coming Nov 4 (against a then weak Cincinnati), preceded by margins of over 40 by teams like Drake and Louisville (your grandfather's Louisville). Honestly, looking at Fry's first two seasons, they weren't all that pretty, although he did take a 1-10 team to a 5-5-1 record in his first year. I was hoping Dodge wouldn't have a sophomore slump, though, since his first year was what it was.

Edited by eulessismore

I've been around UNT football since 1965...so, yes, I have witnessed my share of tough seasons...but, there have also been some great ones! This one may rank up there in the "tough ones" by the end of the season, BUT, for goodness sakes, the season is not over...FOUR games, folks, four games....I do believe UNT has a few more to play. Let's not sing the "the party's over, turn out the lights" so soon. I still think UNT will win more games than it did last season. It is amazing what a win can do for you....OCT. 4th...FIRST win in 2008. Make it so.

These dark days couldn't have come in a more worse time especially since we are trying to have the students pass a stadium vote. Every D1A football program in Texas is without a doubt hands down better than us and they are getting better. And then here's little ole North Texas that is doing all they can so they can pass a student vote to get a stadium and getting blown out on a consistent basis, most recently 77-20 to Rice. I would love to be optimistic and hope things will change but I just do not see it. The first 16 games of Dodge's career has been so bad that I do not think its curable at this point. But again...as I am a true die hard fan...my dumbass will still watch the games and cheer for my team even if they look pathetic, silly, and lousy.

I've been around UNT football since 1965...so, yes, I have witnessed my share of tough seasons...but, there have also been some great ones! This one may rank up there in the "tough ones" by the end of the season, BUT, for goodness sakes, the season is not over...FOUR games, folks, four games....I do believe UNT has a few more to play. Let's not sing the "the party's over, turn out the lights" so soon. I still think UNT will win more games than it did last season. It is amazing what a win can do for you....OCT. 4th...FIRST win in 2008. Make it so.

Just like your screen name, you got this backwards... its "turn out the lights, the party's over" :)

I too have been around a long time. I have seen the bad and

the good. I am not giving up on this team, the coaches, or the

players! The staff, and the players, will learn from this game.

Rice is a experienced team, and played a near flawless game.

Just about everything in this game was going there way. Rice

got on a roll, and just kept rolling.

They say football is a game of inches, and as I watched the

game on TV, I could see just that. The offense and the defense

were so close but yet so far. Just inches away from greatness.

Some of our passes were just out of reach that could have been

big plays. There were several plays that had TD writen all over

the play. Dunbar and Montgomery were ever so close to breaking

long runs several times. The defense was stopping the Rice run

game. When Rice got into trouble, they would go to their number

one receiver, going aginst our freshmen. The Rice QB must have

9 lives, because he slipped of sure sacks, and completed passes

on busted plays. Who would have ever thought Fitz would muff

a punt or KO? The 2 int's for TD's, one was a great play and one was

a defelected pass. Geez, talk about freebies! I could go on and on,

but I am not. The fact is, Rice played a great game and beat us.

We may even have to take some more games like this one before our

day comes around. When our day does come, this game will just be

a bad memory during a tough time which will make us appreciate what

it takes to develope a winning team and program.

The worst season I ever saw had nothing to do with wins and losses. It was when I saw 500 fans sitting in the stadium to watch a D1A north texas football team play.

Stan, you are absolutely correct. Fan apathy is the worst thing that can happen to this program right now, which is why the stadium vote MUST pass.

Even if the football team continues to struggle this year, the stadium will give everyone something to look forward to while the team recovers.

Deloach is a good college coach as we all know. TD is at least a smart coach and will adapt to this level as necessary over time. As bad as it is right now (and it is bad), we need to be supportive of the players and coaches we have. Fans have been coming to the games, despite the poor performances, because of the hope that TD's hiring brought to the program.

Somehow, someway, the train needs to keep rolling.

The worst season I ever saw had nothing to do with wins and losses. It was when I saw 500 fans sitting in the stadium to watch a D1A north texas football team play.

The worst season I ever saw was a 10 loss season where we had roughly the same number of people turn out to see the Mean Green struggle and come from behind to beat a D-1AA team at home.

Of course, this season isn't over yet...

This is bad, but the memory of the Sun Belt championship years is still fresh enough to provide a reminder of what's possible. That wasn't true when Coach Dickey's run of conference wins began, and it wasn't true when I attended school in the '80s and our best hopes were I-AA glory. UNT back then was more hopeless than it is today. There's more on-campus activity, more students who care, and more attention from the DFW media.

UNT football will bounce back, either under Coach Dodge's recruits or the next regime. If USF can build a Top 25 team from scratch in hyper-competitive Florida, UNT fans can't give up hope that it will happen to our program in hyper-competitive Texas.

That's true. That's not to say this isn't a tough season. I think the most important we can do as fans is to keep supporting the team, to show up at the games we can show up at, and those of us that are students or know students, get that bill passed.

If it's tough for us to watch, it must be tougher to be a player and see it firsthand or as a coach, knowing your boys can be far better than this.

If USF can build a Top 25 team from scratch in hyper-competitive Florida, UNT fans can't give up hope that it will happen to our program in hyper-competitive Texas.

Yes. And all parts to do that are coming together. We wish they'd go faster, but they're on the way.

That's true. That's not to say this isn't a tough season. I think the most important we can do as fans is to keep supporting the team, to show up at the games we can show up at, and those of us that are students or know students, get that bill passed.

If it's tough for us to watch, it must be tougher to be a player and see it firsthand or as a coach, knowing your boys can be far better than this.

Yes. And all parts to do that are coming together. We wish they'd go faster, but they're on the way.

Well Said. The South Florida analogy is a good one to use to be optimistic.