Only At North Texas!

....preventing me from driving the hour and a half up and going through another unpleasant experience this August. I greatly appreciate the heads up warnings.

With that said I still hold out hope, even as the miscommunication monster rears it's ugly head once again, that this programs' right hand will SOMEDAY learn what it's left hand is doing.

By my and others unoffical guessticounts for 2008:

5 people showed up at one event at Trophy Club.

20 plus showed up at another.

20 plus showed up at one in San Antonio.

200 to 400 at the Kickoff Barbecue.

Average 700 donors will join the Mean Green Club.

Estimated 3,000 and 6,000 season ticket holders realized for upcoming season.

8 to 15 people will show up for coaches weekly radio show.

15,000 average attendance on game days.

15,000 empty seats on game days.

Rick

....preventing me from driving the hour and a half up and going through another unpleasant experience this August. I greatly appreciate the heads up warnings.

With that said I still hold out hope, even as the miscommunication monster rears it's ugly head once again, that this programs' right hand will SOMEDAY learn what it's left hand is doing.

Rick

Great post. You want to have a big laugh? For some reason, the time of tonight's scrimmage is listed in today's Denton paper. And as you can imagine, it doesn't say whether it's open to the public or closed to the public. My point: If it is closed...why even have the time and location in there? Maybe they like throwing fans out of Fouts...I don't know.

Rick

A couple of years ago on ESPN.COM, they did a piece on what it takes to make things go smoothly at the stadium for a game from a fan's perspective. The school they profiled was OU, and I thought it was interesting. The athletic department brings together everybody (vendors, restraunts near the stadium, concessions in and outside the stadium, stores, security, transportaion, etc.) and organizes a plan about exactly what is taking place and when. The guy on a corner selling beer knows when the school song will be played. This is done so that the fan, the people spending the money, have great time. Last year, I thought things were pretty organized there, and with the exception of the heat and score, it was a great experience.

That said, I hope we could make our athletic department more "customer service" oriented. You would think, given the business background of RV, that would not be a problem. It is little things like you not being on the donor list so you can get your gift at the cook-out. Parking passes not being available until later. Oh, and a $2.00 service fee for your "free cookout tix". I know that is a Ticketmaster fee, but it is stupid and the must be a better way to RSVP. I remember a few years back, they asked Soundman to cook for the Lettermans' Assoc. after a game. He bought all the food, supplies, and equipment only to find that somebody had not told the Lettermans'Club about the plans.

I admit I have been negative in some of my posts, and I am just venting. I look at Rick's comments above w/ the stats, and it is disheartening. I can understand and accept that practices are close, I am indifferent to that. Heck, at UT, practices are closed to the public accept for a couple, but notice of this is given well in advance.

I think our athletic department is made up of people who know they have a cushy jobs w/ little or no accountability as it relates to the overall success of UNT Athletics.

A couple of years ago on ESPN.COM, they did a piece on what it takes to make things go smoothly at the stadium for a game from a fan's perspective. The school they profiled was OU, and I thought it was interesting. The athletic department brings together everybody (vendors, restraunts near the stadium, concessions in and outside the stadium, stores, security, transportaion, etc.) and organizes a plan about exactly what is taking place and when. The guy on a corner selling beer knows when the school song will be played. This is done so that the fan, the people spending the money, have great time. Last year, I thought things were pretty organized there, and with the exception of the heat and score, it was a great experience.

That said, I hope we could make our athletic department more "customer service" oriented. You would think, given the business background of RV, that would not be a problem. It is little things like you not being on the donor list so you can get your gift at the cook-out. Parking passes not being available until later. Oh, and a $2.00 service fee for your "free cookout tix". I know that is a Ticketmaster fee, but it is stupid and the must be a better way to RSVP. I remember a few years back, they asked Soundman to cook for the Lettermans' Assoc. after a game. He bought all the food, supplies, and equipment only to find that somebody had not told the Lettermans'Club about the plans.

I admit I have been negative in some of my posts, and I am just venting. I look at Rick's comments above w/ the stats, and it is disheartening. I can understand and accept that practices are close, I am indifferent to that. Heck, at UT, practices are closed to the public accept for a couple, but notice of this is given well in advance.

I think our athletic department is made up of people who know they have a cushy jobs w/ little or no accountability as it relates to the overall success of UNT Athletics.

Good post. RV has fixed many things from better tailgating to TV monitors, better concessions, ice, restrooms, etc. Those are major pluses. There are still several small things like you mentioned that can be stingers. Fan and inter-office communication would top the list in my book. I should know about an event before I have to ask about an event or read about it on GMG.com. If I asked 10 athletic's employees the same question I would expect 10 similar answers. That doesn't always happen yet, so we go with the answer we like best and it conflicts sometimes. It is a service and entertainment industry and there is a lot of competition in the DFW area for that time and money. My wife has a whole list of options whenever I rant about something not being right at a UNT event! :unsure:

Edited by NT80